New ridgid wet/dry vac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ridgid wet/dry vac

I needed a new wet/dry vac., one of mine puked out this past weekend. Home Depot had Ridgid 12 gal. vac. on sale for $69.99, not bad considering amazon has them for $91.00 plus shipping, so I'm pleased. Almost spent another $200.00 for a cordless combo, but the last minute I put it back on the shelf. Now that shows strength, LOL... But I went ahead a bought a replaceable filter that cost $29.99 for the vacuum. Its called Gore-clean stream filter, this replaces Ridgid and Craftsman vacuums, "1 year satisfaction guarantee", not 1 month (we'll see). The filter is has a very slick feeling where as very little should stick to it. Works with sheetrock dust, sawdust and fireplace ashes. Replaces the bags, when dirty just knock it clean, also works when wet. I should save the money from not having to buy bags, besides I couldn't find bags for the 12 gal vac. The guy at H.D. told me they don't make them for the Ridgid 12 gal., I thought he didn't know what he was saying and just babbling. Well if this filter works I won't need them anyhow, so thats my story for the day. Oh ya new cute girl working there at the check out. Also they are pulling out the stationary tools and will designate an isle with pictures of the tools instead, big deal "I said". One more thing, is it my imagination that Husky brand tools and accessories are now dominating H.D.? Have a good day everyone.
    P.S. when finally someone came around and asked if I needed any help I said ya, I got some questions about this wet/dry vac. So as I was asking the questions he was reading the box to me, to give me the answers. Hows that for service, didn't know that I couldn't read. Man they really need to get to know their items thats for sale there, you know what I mean. I didn't want to embarrass him by telling him, I know how to read. Just stood there smiling, thinking how much more can I endure.
    Last edited by garager; 04-09-2007, 03:18 PM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: New ridgid wet/dry vac

Take a good look at the box your filter came in. I need to do the same myself, but I think it's washable. If it is, just tap and brush off the dust first, then soak a few minutes in warm water with liquid dishwashing detergent in it and rinse in reverse under running water. I would suggest leaving it out to dry overnight.

Self note: Next time I'm at HD check out your filter and hope they have one in stock.

If this is what you got on sale? I think you did very well getting it and especially at that nice price.
    WD1245 - http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/12-Gallon-Vac/index.htm

Don't feel too bad about the lacking of customer service at HD. It's the same all over anymore.
    Last edited by Woussko; 04-09-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Ya Woussko that would be the one, they have about 60 of them there, but it doesn't say sale or special or anything. Just a sign saying $69.99. The filter box does say you can wash it if you want. Fired up the vac, with some saw dust and shaved some sheetrock I went to work. Turned it off, bounced the machine around, turned it back on, usually you will get a puff of dust that comes out, not this time, so I'm pleased so far with the filter.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I think you'll really like that filter. For sucking up mud and such you might want to keep the origional filter handy and maybe just throw it out if it gets clogged up. I have washed the Ridgid basic filters, but sometimes they come apart in doing so. The Clean-Stream will really help with drywall dust and not having it blow into the room.
        http://www.cleanstream.com/filters_wetdry.html

Comment

Garager, dont be surprised. I asked one guy the other day about the Ridgid 24v power tools and he said he never heard of them. Needless to say I had to find them myself.

Comment

For what this is worth I had the 9 gallon Ridgid much like your 12 gallon. It did pretty well and really ate up dirt until I let a friend borrow it. The "Ding Dong" removed the filter to clean it, didn't put it back in and sucked up loads of sand and other dirt. When it hit the fan that killed it fast. I kept the accessories and use them with my other vacs now. I got that Ridgid as an "opened box" special about 2 years ago dirt cheap. It wasn't like I needed another machine to add to my collection.

Comment

I have the Ridgid 16-gallon plastic model. Very much like the steel, but without the price of the steel! I think I'll try one of those Cleanstream filters. The vac works great, but cleaning the filter is a PITA! When using it on the sander or other tools, it clogs up fast.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

I bet you'll really like that better filter. Check at Sears if there's a big one at the Mall near you. Sears stocks far more in accessories than HD normally does.

I think this is the one you want, but take along your filter to be sure. Anymore Sears has some models made by Emerson-Ridgid and others by ShopVac. Be sure the inside diameter and length are the same. Sears item #00917830000 - Mfr. model #17830

Or you can just order this one online and it should work. Sometimes it's nice just to let FedEx or UPS do the hard work for us.
                http://www.cleanstream.com/store/3313209089.html (Filter for most drum style Ridgid vacs)

Hint for everyone: If you have compressed air around, set your regulator to about 20 PSI and using just the open end of a hose blow the filter from the inside out. You can blow lots of the dust out of them in reverse. It is very messy so wear a dust mask and face shield. This is only for the brave people. You can also use a dusting brush and suck off the dust using another vacuum cleaner with a good dust collection bag and secondary filter. Just have more than one filter and you're set.
                Last edited by Woussko; 04-10-2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Garager,

I have two of the 1245 models. Great Vac, and I've had mine for about two years. I believe the regular price is $69.99, so this isn't on sale. One of the many things that I don't like about Home Depot as they "feature" items in their flyers like they were on "Sale", but in fact many items are not. I've even seen them bring them out to the main isle, stack them up and "feature" them. You might want to note that at the launch of the Christmas season (Black Friday), Home Depot has had these on Sale for around $29! First year they did that, the stock lasted a few days and I picked up my two units. Unfortunately the last two seasons the "E-bay Raiders" scoff them all up within the first early morning hour! That's what you're probably seeing for the higher "gouge" prices on the web.

Back to the Vac: This is a great Vac and the suction is quite powerful. There are optional filters that are shared with all Ridgid models of this design. In addition to the standard filter, I also have one for use with drywall dust. I dump the barrow after each use, and clean off the filter by bumping the dust off and then using my little "Stinger" 2-gal vac to blow out filter. I've yet had to wash the filters. I try to avoid washing them only because it takes a while to dry them. Whether you wash them or use the vac for wet pickup, you need to get the filter dry as soon as possible I think.

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 04-10-2007, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Well did I put this wet/dry vac. through a rigorous test this morning, the sucking power was descent, though I wished it was a 6.5 hp, but descent anyhow. The filter is down right fantastic, I get no puff of dust after emptying the container or cleaning off the filter when I go to turn it back on. To me the filter is top dog, I have 2 other 16 gal Craftsmans and I'm going to Sears and get them each one. I happened to bought the last one at H.D. I even picked up the vac. and dropped it about 8" with the container full of dust, and got absolutely no dust flying out of the vac. Thats almost like impossible, why didn't I find this filter before? I'll bet ya I have spent over $300.00 in sheetrock bags in the last 5-6 years. I highly recommend this filter to anyone and everyone.
                    CWSmith, as far as black Friday goes, you couldn't pay me to go shopping that day. I did it once and what a freaking nightmare that was, LOL. 5:30 in the morning an ambulance was at the mall already, a little girl got stomped on in a toy store, the line to get into that one store would have been at least 1 1/2 block long. They are nuts out there I'm telling ya. Back to the filter, if the filter didn't have that lip around the bottom,(for tightening down) I don't think the filter would accumulate hardly any dust at all. 5 star rating, out of 5 no doubt. Well worth the $30.00, time to go back to work.

Comment

Garager,

One advantage that the Ridgid filters have is that those plastic ends come off and go on easily, leaving the pleated filter loose. You can then just shake the dust right out of it and then put the assembly back together. With my old Craftsman pleated filters, the ends were glued on and they were much harder to clean. Also when they were damp, theyed deteriorate quickly. Not so with the Ridgid.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        Garager,

One advantage that the Ridgid filters have is that those plastic ends come off and go on easily, leaving the pleated filter loose. You can then just shake the dust right out of it and then put the assembly back together. With my old Craftsman pleated filters, the ends were glued on and they were much harder to clean. Also when they were damp, theyed deteriorate quickly. Not so with the Ridgid.

CWS
                        Yeah though I have a um...friend...who didn't realize the ends came off and tapped his right into the trash compactor at work, replaced the filter without the end and then blamed his helper for losing it. I felt like such an idiot when I almost did it again and realized that I did it the first time. I mean HE did...my friend.

BTW I had a guy read me the boxes at HD when i got my wet/dry too. Must be the in the department handbook!
                        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Can't wait untill Lowes comes to town. I hear their customer service puts HD to shame.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            Can't wait untill Lowes comes to town. I hear their customer service puts HD to shame.
                            Lowes will hire from the same workforce that HD does. Within a year, you will see little difference between the two. Around here, every town with an HD has a Lowes. The customer service in each town is pretty close to even between stores. In one town, the HD is lousy with stuff piled in the aisles, displays shoddily put together, etc, so the Lowes which is literally next door has a full parking lot while HD is empty. I attribute it to management as the workers are as helpful in the HD as at the Lowes. In four other towns within an hour drive, there is little difference except for brand names.

Just my experience

Go
                            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

At two locations of HD near me they have a good stock of the Clean Stream filters for Ridgid-Craftsman vacs. You have to look around for them as they aren't where they really should be. Just give the area near the vacs a good prowl. I bet you'll find them there.

Comment

Working...
                              X