Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem getting perfect miters with miter saw.

Hello,
    I have a Ridgid 10" Miter saw (MS1065LZ) that I haven't been able to make perfect 45 degree miters with. The problem I think is I don't have enough adjustment with the fence. I took out all the screws of the fence except the far left one, and with an accurate 45 degree angle I am left with a bit shy of being able to put in the right bolts. What can I do?
    Thanks,
    CP

Re: Problem getting perfect miters with miter saw.

CptanPanic, hi there.

If you haven't already you should grab the manual for your saw.
    Check pages 15 through 18 for the correct procedure on adjustments.

Hope that helps
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Yes I have followed the manual, but as I mentioned it doesn't seem like have enough adjustment available to get 45 degrees. Has anyone else had this problem?
      Thanks,
      CP

Comment

I had the same thing with mine. There's another set of bolts that allow you to swivel the saw arm to a certain extent to compensate. Just below the bevel pivot there should be two bolts, one on each side. You need to loosen them slightly. One of them acts as a pivot while the other one has an elongated hole allowing the arm to swing. Move the arm until it falls within the range you can get the correct angle in relation to the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
          I had the same thing with mine. There's another set of bolts that allow you to swivel the saw arm to a certain extent to compensate. Just below the bevel pivot there should be two bolts, one on each side. You need to loosen them slightly. One of them acts as a pivot while the other one has an elongated hole allowing the arm to swing. Move the arm until it falls within the range you can get the correct angle in relation to the fence.
          Thanks this was it, I adjusted these bolts and was able to get the adjustment I needed.
          Thanks,
          CP

Comment

Wow, I have the same problem on the same saw that I just bought.

Which bolts are these? Are they listed as #16 on the parts list? Any chance you might be able to post a picture of the bolts?

Wish I had read this before I packed up my spanking new saw to return to HD for the same reason. The saw is out of alignment out of the box (bad enough) but then there is not enough adjustment in the fence to make it true as per the manual (worse). And the manual is silent on the additional adjustment step. Maybe I'll pull it outta the box and try the bolts before taking it back.

I'll bet HD would avoid alot of returns if the saws were aligned properly when manufactured, or at least if this procedure was printed in the manual.
            Last edited by CAsawSTUD; 04-16-2007, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Are you talking about not getting a good mitre or bevel cut? My saw has an issue with the bevel cut. The issue is it isn't straight. The saw is against the right side of the cut slot at the back and against the left side at the front. So what I get is anything but a straight bevel. I'll take a look at those adjustment bolts to see if it fixes mine. If the bolts aren't for bevel adjustments any suggestions would be great.

Comment

Yes I think they are listed as 16 in the parts list just going by memory. I think they may be 2xM10 bolts.

Comment

I'm glad you were able to adjust yours. I checked my 3-yr old Craftsman mitre saw a few days ago, and saw that it wasn't square. (I had assumed it was square from the factory, and had never checked it, until I started reading this forum a few weeks ago. )

Well, I adjusted both the fence and the trunion, and even between the two I didn't have quite enough play to get it square. I removed one of the four bolts holding the fence and got it very close to square, but still not perfect.

Next step...drill out the aluminum fence holes to give it a bit more clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by CptanPanic View Post
                    Yes I think they are listed as 16 in the parts list just going by memory. I think they may be 2xM10 bolts.

Thanks! Took awhile but these bolts definitely did the trick. Helped me get the blade's inital alignment 90 degrees square with the fence (the miter).

So now I've cut the kerf plate and it seems the blade when beveling appears to flare a bit. Any suggestions or is it the same fix? And if it is the same fix, how does one get both of them (miter and bevel) all square at the same time?

Comment

The second problem is unfortunately unfixable and is a known manufacturing problem. I had the same problem and almost everybody here who owns the saw has had the same issue. The bevel pivot is apparently not machined straight and the blade goes out of alignment as it is tilted. You can either square the fence to give you perfect miter cuts, or perfect bevel cuts, but not both. For me the temporary solution was to calibrate the saw to make straight miters, then when a bevel cut is required I slightly shift the turn table about a half degree to compansate for the blade misalignment. The permanent fix was to buy a Makita LS1013 slider. Ridgid really needs to fix that but its been years and they are still apparently having the same problem.

Comment

Man, that is SO not what I was hoping to read... While I'm only a DIY'er, I'd like a precision tool, otherwise it's frustrating and the purchase ends up regretful. Any better luck with DeWalts?

Comment

Never owned a Dewalt miter saw but there was a recent post here about someone with the exact same problem and he returned the Ridgid saw and exchanged it for a Dewalt saw. According to him the Dewalt was a lot better in that respect.

Comment

I have a delta 10' compound miter saw. I have had it for probably 10 years and it is still true. It is only $99 at lowes. Its not something you would want as a trim guy but I am a tile guy and use it to do shoe mold and small base. It has never let me down.

Comment

I recently purchased the MS1290LZ slider, unfortunately prior to reading about it on this forum. I would like to take it back (it is within the 90 days), but I no longer have the box/packing material. Does anyone know what HD would do in this situation?
                              Last edited by NavyBuck; 04-23-2007, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X