recip saw problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recip saw problem

ok three years ago i baught the big ridgid combo set. i havent had anny problems. they still work and they hav been to hell and back. but i baught the recip saw hammer drill combo around christmas. i noticed some changes in the drill. mainly the way the clutch and the way you set it to hammer drill. so far the drill is fine but the saw is another storry. a month after i baught it i was cutting a peice of 3/8 all thread and pop it started smokeing and went motionless. thinking maybe the batery was just fried i tried the other one and the saw fried that batery aswell and still dident move . so then i tried the baterys in my drill and nothing. so i went to home depot with my recipt and explained the problem and since the saw looked almost new the exchanged it with no problems. and the new one worked fine untill yesterday the exact same thing happened. and this time home depot said they arent allowed to exchange it. i am just curious if there may be a recall on a faulty part. or if i just hav verry bad luck. i am somewhat worried about the power tool quality now. the saw is the r8442 No 0-2500 / min 18v anny help wound be great

Re: recip saw problem

No there is not a recall. I am surprised that it is the saw that is giveing you problems generally it is the drill. I have seen very few electrical problems with the saws so think you just had some bad luck. I am curious though, you said you were cutting all thread is it possible the blade is getting pinched? This would cause a spike in amps and destroy the switch as well as burn the battery's thermal link.

Comment

Re: recip saw problem

it dident bind, it was 18tpi lenox blade. the teeth are so fine they dont ever give me anny problems. i cut it all the time with the old saw. i looked in the vents and i noticed a change in the electric motor desigh. it seems in the older saw the brushes are fully enclosed in the motor caseing. this isent the case with the new saw . i guess they changed that due to service problems.but i doubt that's why it fried. so far i havent had time to take it to the service center because i am currently working 6 10's. with all this overtime i havent had time to do annything about it. and by the time i get home the ridgid customer support office is closed. so

Comment

Working...
      X