No announcement yet.

right angle drills

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • right angle drills

    i need a right angle drill that has lots of power i am thinking of the millwaukee hole hawg and the millwaukee regular right angle drill and the ridgid right angle drill (hole hawg) just wonderin what you guys thought

  • #2
    Re: right angle drills

    What do you think would be the tuffest job you'll need it to do, and would you need this drill all the time or more now and then?


    • #3
      Re: right angle drills

      well it will only get used two or three times a year for lifting a silo unloader


      • #4
        Re: right angle drills

        Personally, I would go with the Milwaukee. I got two of them now and one is over 20 years old and still kicking.



        • #5
          Re: right angle drills

          I don't know what a Silo unloader is but the Milwaukee hole hawg is extremely strong and durable. The RAD is nothing more than a D-handle drill with an attachment but it is strong and durable as well, just not anywhere near as heavy duty as the hole hawg, I am not that familiar with the Ridgid.


          • #6
            Re: right angle drills

            many have a slip clutch in the head and you may want to check the torque rating and the torque it take to run the unload winch, in the picture below (this is a Makita drill) I used to run the winch when pulling the windmill pipe 2" 280 foot of drop pipe full of water, and at times the clutch would slip on it.

            not saying it will not work but something you many want to explore before deciding what unit to get,

            I ended up having to take the drill apart and tighten the nut on the clutch to make it work the way I needed it,

            Also I needed to reverse the cable on the winch to keep the chuck on the drill, it broke the screw off holding the chuck on, so I had to make the load side work on the forward setting of the drill.
            Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.


            • #7
              Re: right angle drills

              In that case I would look in pawn shops and at auctions for a good used Milwaukee 1675 HoleHawg. Sometimes you can find them on eBay at a good enough price that if they need some repairs you still do pretty well. Another idea might be to look at reconditioned ones. For the money the Ridgid isn't that great of a deal in my opinion. If you are willing to gamble some you might look at the knock-off of a HoleHawg that Harbor Freight sells for way less than a new of the real one. You might want to look at the Dewalt TimberWolf and at what Makita has in their version of a HoleHawg. If I were going to buy one to use all the time, I would go for a new Milwaukee 1675 and be done with it. They do hold some resale value if you keep it in nice condition so you can kind of think of it as a good investment.

              Do make sure for your use that you get a 2 or 3 speed model with a low of under 400 RPM. Also be sure to use the pipe handle and brace it. You don't want to end up getting hurt.




              Harbor Freight: (This is kind of junky but it might work for your needs and at $100 new it's much less than the others.)

              Could you work with a good heavy built spade handle drill such at a DeWalt DW131 or a Milwaukee 1660? They are more general use tools, cost less to buy and both are heavy built. If you really want or need a true right angle drill then pass them over.

              Dewalt DW131:

              Milwaukee 1660:

              With both of the above, the top handle is 3/4 iron pipe. You might be able to rig up something special using an elbow or a T fitting and some nipples.

              Something I would not recommend for your use is a D handle drill with a right angle attachment head. Such a drill simply won't take that kind of work for very long.

              Here is an idea you might want to think about: How about going to a good tool rental yard and renting a Milwaukee 1675 HoleHawg? Call to be sure they have one ready before heading out. Most any good tool rental place should have several of them.

              The point that BHD brought up is a good one. Be sure the drill is running forward when under heavy load. About the only other choice would be to get into a taper spindle with key drive for the chuck. Normally you won't find that until you get into a big 3/4" or larger spade handle drill. If you need good torque in both directions, then the Dewalt DW138 or it's father the Black & Decker 1405 is the way to go, but they are serious beasts, can rip your arms off it you aren't very careful with them and they cost come good money for a new one. Milwaukee has a good 3/4 spade handle drill, but it doesn't run that well in reverse as does the Dewalt. I think you might want to check the rotation needed and go from there. Do you know an electrical contractor? If yes, have him stop by and give his biggest right angle drill a quick try.
              Last edited by Woussko; 04-13-2007, 02:39 PM.