X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• table saw

Has tanyone had trouble with the TS3650 table saw's motor going bad. I have had my Ridgid saw for one year and havent used it as much as I would like. The saws 1.5 h.p. motor needs about 10 seconds to reach full rpm and stalls out when cutting anything. The blade is sharp , isnt in any bind and spins freely when turned by hand. I thought it might be underpowered and would consider buying a larger h.p. motor if others are having the same trouble.

Re: table saw

I would check the Voltage at the motor with it running and also while it's coming up to speed. Low Voltage right at the motor will make it weak and start slowly. Ask around your area if someone is into either electrical or electronics work. He/she should have a meter that can read the line Voltage. You can also check it at the receptacle, but if you can, try to connect up and measure it right at the motor wiring box. Remember to always think safety.

Question: Under no load does it reach and hold full speed? Other than for being sluggish, does it groan more than it used to and especially on starting up?

Check for poor connections inside the wiring compartment/box.

Are you using the same receptacle now as when it was new? Yes, sometimes motors do fail. Windings may short together and such. This doesn't seem like a starting capacitor or switch problem. Hmmm Does that motor by chance have a running capacitor besides the one for starting. If yes and it went bad that very well may be the problem.

If anyone has this model table saw and a digital camera handy, please post some good pictures of the motor. Thanks
    Last edited by Woussko; 04-13-2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

i do not have the 3650 but i have been on the forum for about 2 years and i have to say you are the frist one i can remeber having that problem. but make sure you have it wired for the right voltage, it might be wired for 220 v and you are pluging it in to 120v. not saying that is what is happing but it is a thought.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Wishbone

Has this been since the table saw was new or just over the past few days? Try lossening the belt a little and then start it. Are you using everything the same regarding electricals as when new? That's if it was OK but not now. Extension cords?

Comment

It could be that your electrical circuit is starving the motor for juice. Is it a dedicated line or are there other appliances on it? Also, how long is the run of wire? Too small a gauge of wire can cause voltage drop too. Do the lights dim when powering up? If so, it might be good to switch to 220v.

It's also possible that you have a bad capacitor in the motor. It should be under warranty and is worth checking.

Comment

I agree with the voltage, do check it out.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for all the input, and I have taken your suggestions and checked all mentioned. The voltage is correct at the recepticle and good voltage at start up and run. Ive have contacted the service center for may area and will send the motor out thanks to the great warranty. One more question though would the motor be better, if when I get the new one back ,to wire for 220v and run a 220v recepticle for the saw?

Comment

YES it would be. That much motor running on 120 Volts takes lots of current. With it setup for 220-240 Volts it will draw 1/2 as much current. You'll have less Voltage drop and your electrical system won't have the imbalance it does now.

As for your motor, please answer this. Has it always seemed sluggish starting up and lacking of power or did this come on say in the past week or so? If this has been going on since new, it may be incorrectly wired. In that case you would do well to check all of the connections using the wiring diagram that should be either on the label or the wiring box cover.

By the way there's going to be quite a shipping charge if you send that motor FedEx or UPS. It's not like as if it's only 10 pounds and you must pack it up well. If it gets bashed up on the way to the service center, you may as well figure it's history.
                Last edited by Woussko; 04-14-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X