Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Lifetime Warranty

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    Bigscore,

I'd give them a call and ask them what is the hold-up. It took about three months to register the stuff I sent in back in January. I'd say your time is a bit overdue. Give them a call!

CWS
    I've called a couple of times CWS.

Second week of May when I called, they said they were still working on February's. Last week when I called, they said they were still working on February's.

On a side note, I just today received e-mails for all of my items (except two Bench Top Spindle / Belt Sander & my Drill Press)
    that the LSA was in effect. I logged into my e-box & except for the two mentioned, all now show the LSA.

After my above post, was the LSA being applied now just a happy coincidence?

Or did a RIDGID employee see my post & take it upon themselves to apply the LSA?

However it went down, I'm almost satisfied. Get those last two tools under the LSA & it'll all be good.

Comment

Well the last two tools are now under the LSA.

I have to admit that the front line LSA customer service reps (spoke to two as I got transferred from one to another) I spoke with weren't very helpful. However, I do understand & empathize with their attitude. In another life I used to work for AT&T & one of my least favorite positions there, was at a call center. Let me tell you after 1,000's upon 1,000's of butthead calls, you tend to get pretty jaded.

It was wierd though, as my Table Saw (which did get registered under the LSA) Bench Top Belt / Spindle Sander & Drill Press were all on the one receipt.

The customer service reps kept trying to tell me the different receipts for the items might have gotten lost & I kept telling them that would be impossible, since they were all on the same receipt & the Table Saw did get the LSA.

Anyway I soon realized I wasn't going to get anywhere with the front line people (they probably just didn't have the authority to apply the LSA without the receipt right there in front of them) so I asked to speak to someone a little higher up the totem pole.

Got a call back today from Andrea, e-mailed a copy of the receipt as I was talking with her & badda bing badda boom, LSA is on those last two tools.

Now that's what I call customer service.

Oh yeah! Nobody there speaks with an Indian accent. I can actually understand them & they can understand me.

Refreshing to find a company who hasn't outsourced their customer service to India.

Comment

Originally posted by markts30 View Post
        Guess what...
        Still no drill - still no time frame...
        Finally got some help from Ridgid though - they are going to be sending me a replacement drill for the one still waiting for parts....
        I cannot believe that the one I took in in Feb is still waiting for parts...
        Ridgid is going to have to step up soon and get this situation rectified or they are going to lose customers...
        Yet another update to the saga...
        Received the RECON unit today (not happy with a reconditioned one...) but...
        It came in a shipping box marked with the model number (84001) on the shipping label and the tool case had the same number on it but... TA-DAAAA... When opened, it contained an 83001 drill and batteries so...
        Now what to do - call service back and complain again I guess...
        They are closed by the time I get home usually so it is a real hassle for me...
        I take an 18V drill in for service (with a lifetime warranty) and receive a factory reconditioned 14.4V unit back with no lifetime warranty...(but at least I got a nice 18V drill BOX I guess).
        I keep telling people how much I like my Ridgid drills and other battery powered tools, but I guess now it is going to stop - next one will have to be a Milwaulkee or such....

Comment

Originally posted by markts30 View Post
          Yet another update to the saga...
          Received the RECON unit today (not happy with a reconditioned one...) but...
          It came in a shipping box marked with the model number (84001) on the shipping label and the tool case had the same number on it but... TA-DAAAA... When opened, it contained an 83001 drill and batteries so...
          Now what to do - call service back and complain again I guess...
          They are closed by the time I get home usually so it is a real hassle for me...
          I take an 18V drill in for service (with a lifetime warranty) and receive a factory reconditioned 14.4V unit back with no lifetime warranty...(but at least I got a nice 18V drill BOX I guess).
          I keep telling people how much I like my Ridgid drills and other battery powered tools, but I guess now it is going to stop - next one will have to be a Milwaulkee or such....
          You took your 18 volt cordless drill in for service, way back on Feb 12th 2007 & right at 6 months later, you're only just now receiving a replacement...a reconditioned replacement...& the wrong reconditioned replacement at that!

Un-frickin'-believable!!!!

I've finally got the LSA on all my RIDGID tools, but it doesn't sound like it was worth the hassle I had to go through to get it, based on your experience anyway.
          The LSA certainly sounds great & sure is hyped a lot, but if you have to take your tools in for service & can't get decent turn around time, what's the point?

I wonder what the people who rely on RIDGID tools for their bread & butter are supposed to do when they break down?

Starve?

Comment

Originally posted by bigscore View Post
            I wonder what the people who rely on RIDGID tools for their bread & butter are supposed to do when they break down?
            We have a back-up drill...
            Or you go and buy one and use the other as backup...LOL
            Just got to decide if Ridgid is worth it - the tools are good, but the service sucks...
            I am thinking of looking into the Hilti line of cordless tools...

Comment

Guess I'll add to the fire...

I bought my first Ridgid tool (18V 1/2" cordless drill kit) at my local HD on New Year's Eve day - it was the last day of a really great sale, and my previous cordless drill, 12V Jobmate POS, had just toasted (or so I told my wife!)

So, I does the online registration first, sometime after all the post-Christmas bustle, on February 18th, 2007. I then immediately filled out the LLSA card with all the same details and info that I had just done online, and made photocopies of everything (receipt, LLSA registration card, even the UPC code that I cut off the box). I stapled everything together, and made sure to send it with tracking and confirmation, so that I knew it wasn't/couldn't be claimed as "lost en route", and mailed it out the next day. Then, I waited. And waited. Then I picked my nose and blew bubbles. And then I waited still some more.

So, I then calls the Customer Service peoples, and ask, Hey Joe, what's the hold-up? I was told, sir, it's the start of April right now (1 1/2 months after registering online and mailing the other stuff in), and we have been so overwhelmed by people like you, good customer, for buying our product, that we are trying to sort through all of the registration cards that we received in and around Christmas time. But, dear sir, give us some time, and we will get to yours as soon as possible.

So, I waited again.

I then calls the Customer Service peoples at the end of April (2 months), and I ask, Hey Joe #2, what's the hold-up? I was told, sir, it's only the end of April right now, and we have been so overwhelmed by the Christmas sales to people like you, good customer, that we are still trying to sort through all of these registration cards. But, dear sir, please give us some more time, and we will get to yours ASAP.

So, I waited again.

Come May 10th, same story: Joe-sophine, what's the deal-e-o? Sir, we're still backlogged - please give us more time.

So, I waited again (and kicked the cat - wife's still hassling me about that one).

Come May 31st - Joe-dude, where's my little membership card? Sir, we're dying here! Give us a break. We're just getting to the January stuff - yours will be right up!

So, I got tired of waiting.

During the 1st or 2nd week of June (can't exactly remember now - the rage has made it all a blur), I called the Ridgid Customer Deception line, and got the same scripted answers as before. Fed up, I asked to speak to someone who was high enough up the chain to make some decisions, or someone who had the balls to actually give me customer service. And I tell you, the lady that I was forwarded over to probably had both prerequisites!

After explaining to her my connundrum (we'll just call her "Pat" right now - SNL shout out!), she soothed me in ways that only a bout of bulemia could soothe Paris Hilton. She walked me through a few things on the phone, and verified some info with me, and then she changed everything right then and there with her on the phone. Within 2 minutes, I looked at my eBox again, and I saw that everything had changed from "3 year warranty" to "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". She stated that yes, they were overwhelmed by the sales over Christmas (something about 1 month equalling all the sales that they have had in any year previous!), and that my information was showing up on the system as being received and entered into their data system, but it had not been individually run through yet, and verified, to be added to my eBox, which she gladly did with me on the phone. And I just finally got my LLSA card-thingy today (July 12/07).

And, like someone previous had said, yes, it was nice not to hear someone with a Far East accent on the other line. My lady/man Pat had a cooling southern drawl, and I loved her/him all the more for it.

Pat - I jest. The 10 minutes that you/you and I had together were magic, and I will cherish them forever (please, just don't tell my wife).

The moral of the story is this (Ridgid, please take note of the following points - or fire your Customer Service V.P., give me his grossly inflated salary, and I will solve all of your problems within 6 months guaranteed)....:
              Observation # 1: Why must it take 4 months for a tool to be registered?
              Observation # 2: If your immediated corporate answer to the above is "we were overwhelmed", why were you not ready for such a sales increase? Any good R&D team and marketing team would have been able to put 2-and-2 together, and expected it. You should have hired more customer service and/or LLSA registration staff to keep up with demand.
              Observation # 3: Why can no one get straightforward/honest/non-scripted answers and/or solutions from front-line customer service reps? I shouldn't have had to demand to talk to someone higher up to have these very basic needs met (although, Pat, I'm glad our star-crossed paths converged my dear/dude).
              Observation # 4: Ridgid, you have excellent tools, and you bolster their sales with the LLSA, taking away the few fears that some people may have in paying a higher price point for a premium tool. Why are you allowing these fears to grow exponentially by bad customer service on the phone, and very long/unneeded repair experiences? Words spread about a great tool may gain you a few customers, but the same amount of words about horrible repair service/delays will lose you a few dozen customers - times this for every instance, and there is a problem a brewin'.
              Observation # 5: Ridgid, why, dear-God-and-everything-that-is-holy why, are you making customers wait months and months for warranty/repair service? Don't B.S. us that some repair centers blah-blah-blah, etc.-etc.-etc. It's your freakin' name on the tool, we are paying you for the warranty/LLSA that you are offering - make goddamned sure that the warranty centers fulfill that promise.
              Observation # 6: In the case of product repair or replacement, it means just that - replacement of an 18-volt tool with a 14.4-volt tool does not cut it. Here's a swift friggen' idea - how 'bout we take the parts from the "loaners" that you are willing to send out, and use those parts to fix the owners' original items? Or, how 'bout we use some of the gazillion refurbed items that we see everywhere, and strip them down, and use their parts for repair jobs, if parts are so backordered that you can't get them to service centers? Or, better still, how 'bout we get some better planning within Ridgid, to ENSURE that service/repair centers always have the correct parts for repairs, and that they have ENOUGH OF THEM.
              Observation # 7: Ridgid, you need more tools available, in 18-volt and 24-volt and the MaxSelect lines. You're losing out on customers/sales due to a widespread recognition that your product line for power tools is lacking. It's been a few years now - you should have more than the 8 or 9 cordless tools that you have. And how freakin' hard is it to design and bring to market a jobsite radio/charger thingy!?!?!!?! We're waiting!
              Observation # 8: I still love all my Ridgid tools (go figure), but yet I still can't help but keep my fingers crossed to hope that I never, ever, NEVER need to get LLSA warranty work done. And, more confusing, is that I find myself still wanting to get more Ridgid tools yet, especially the 18-volt Lithium-Ion compact drill/driver. Obviously, the marketing departments have been doing something right.
              Observation # 9: Ridgid, please help the right hand know what left hand is doing. For pete's sake, you wouldn't want to get caught in a situation where your right hand was scratching your bum, and then your left hand started playing with a bare electrical wire. AKA - make sure you communicate better with Home Depot (don't you two have some sort of a business arrangement, that would lead you to have better lines of communication??!!). I can't tell you how frustrating it is for all of us to get different/muddled/incorrect/misleading answers. It seems like you don't know yourselves what you are doing.
              Observation # 10 (last one): Please, dear sweet-apple-pie, please Ridgid, start to answer your customers' concerns in a humanly-decent timeline. YOU set up this forum, and you have your staff/reps/etc. moderate it, and/or monitor it, and/or give answers (sometimes). It would be nice to obtain a (true, correct, direct) answer within a fairly decent timeline - like a few business days or so. Or, if someone calls the Customer Depreciation hotline, and something is not able to be resolved then and there, to have someone call you back within 48 hours or so would be just peachy. Again, similar to the right-hand-knowing-what-the-left-hand-is-doing observation.....please get your ducks in row, so to speak.
              P.S. Observation: Pat..........call me.....the longings are too much.....I hunger to hear your voice.
              Sorry all for the excessively long post and rant - but hey, this forum is here for a reason, right?

Again, Ridgid, if you can't seriously get your Customer Service V.P. to haul his tail on getting these situations resolved, or if you need some serious new blood in the Design/Smart-Thinckers Departments, please give me a call. As you can see, there are a few teeny-tiny deficiencies. But, if you pay me well, I might be able to keep things on the down-low, so that word doesn't get out and ruin sales. Shhh...I can keep a secret.

Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you very much. CanuckSARTech has left the building (he's now out in the doghouse for typing on the computer for an hour). Hey, maybe I can use my Ridgid-brand 18-volt cordless radio/charger while I clean up the place with my Ridgid-brand MaxSelect dustbuster-style vacuum......oh, crap....wait a minute. Can't do that. Oh well. Cheers.
              Last edited by canucksartech; 07-14-2007, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Ridgid current customer relations......

CanuckSARTech........I very seldom write a straight mail of congratulations, however in this case some recognition is deserved for a well thought out and very well composed cummunication addressing many of the issues many of us have been complaining about for months.
                Well done...Ray

Comment

CanuckSARTech - Excellent! I couldn't have said it better myself. I would definitely copy that information into a letter and send it off to Ridgid. I think the more complaints they receive, the more motivation they will have to make things right.

I just sent in my LSA information a few weeks back (FedEx overnight with confirmation and tracking), just to be sure. I called the other day and I got the same response about them being overwhelmed and taking longer than expected to turn around the warranty cards.

However, I must have spoken to the same rep because she was southern and sounded so nice. I hung up the phone with a smile on my face. If they could have more people like her on the phone, I would be a satisfied customer. Kidding aside, it sounds like they are making some progress, but I will continue to bug them, until I see the LSA card in my hand.

Comment

Roadrashray and brianss - thank you for the nods. I worked my butt off on that term paper (wouldn't surprise me if Ridgid gave it a D-, though).

And you know what the worst thing is....

After all of that, I went out and got the 18-volt Compact Lithium-Ion drill.

Feel free to check out my added tech specs and review of this new LI drill over at the thread in "What's New in Power Tools - Ridgid 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Drill".

Comment

Here is the real problem with the LSA group at Ridgid! I have registered about 20 items since 2003 when the LSA was first rolled out and think that it is the best program out there if you have a back up tool while yours is getting repaired. Ridgid made a big marketing push in 2005 with the Depot for their tools and the LSA only to lay off over 50% of the workers in the center that register the forms sent in by us for our tools after 2006. That is why it takes up to 6 months to get your ebox updates. Also, people sell the combo pack pieces on ebay out in individual pieces(such as members on this site-you know who you are) and then people register them without the upc or receipt so the group has to waste time returning forms to customers asking for more information. Ridgid feels that the tool comes with a three year warranty when it is purchased so they have that long before it matters before it goes into the LSA warranty anyway so they can cut back on labor costs internally. Second, the repair shops are not allowed to stock any inventory from ridgid unless they do it on their own dime and very few of them are willing or have the capital to do that. I recommend asking first how your service center is going to handle your situation before dropping off your tools. Some really pressure ridgid and turn and burn a lot of parts and others just have tools piling up and wait for crap to happen and could care less that it is costing you money. My repair shop hands me a battery and I say thank you and out the door I go. They have bought a few hundred from ridgid to keep up with demand to keep customers happy. Lastly, I was one NEVER to send in warranty stuff of worry about service unitl I bought these tools. You must follow the details and send in the stuff to get the warranty. NO buying pieces on ebay or pawn shops unless you have a UPC to send in and can register within the time alotted. Thats all they want to get a life of batteries and maybe a brush or clutch or?????. One battery will pay for that 10% is the way I am looking at it. Also, if you are making money with your tools you should always have a backup and if it breaks buy 2. Wait for the next sale or open a home depot charge card and get 10% off and charge it back to the customer. I don't know I have been pretty happy with them over all accept with the waiting period but that is corporate america.

Comment

Here is the real problem with the LSA group at Ridgid! I have registered about 20 items since 2003 when the LSA was first rolled out and think that it is the best program out there if you have a back up tool while yours is getting repaired. Ridgid made a big marketing push in 2005 with the Depot for their tools and the LSA only to lay off over 50% of the workers in the center that register the forms sent in by us for our tools after 2006. That is why it takes up to 6 months to get your ebox updates. Also, people sell the combo pack pieces on ebay out in individual pieces(such as members on this site-you know who you are) and then people register them without the upc or receipt so the group has to waste time returning forms to customers asking for more information. Ridgid feels that the tool comes with a three year warranty when it is purchased so they have that long before it matters before it goes into the LSA warranty anyway so they can cut back on labor costs internally. Second, the repair shops are not allowed to stock any inventory from ridgid unless they do it on their own dime and very few of them are willing or have the capital to do that. I recommend asking first how your service center is going to handle your situation before dropping off your tools. Some really pressure ridgid and turn and burn a lot of parts and others just have tools piling up and wait for crap to happen and could care less that it is costing you money. My repair shop hands me a battery and I say thank you and out the door I go. They have bought a few hundred from ridgid to keep up with demand to keep customers happy. Lastly, I was one NEVER to send in warranty stuff or worry about service until I bought these tools. You must follow the details and send in the stuff to get the warranty. NO buying pieces on ebay or pawn shops unless you have a UPC to send in and can register within the time alotted. Thats all they want to get a life of batteries and maybe a brush or clutch or?????. One battery will pay for that 10% difference in price is the way I am looking at it. Also, if you are making money with your tools you should always have a backup and if it breaks buy 2. Wait for the next sale or open a home depot charge card and get 10% off and charge it back to the customer. I don't know, I have been pretty happy with them over all accept with the waiting period but that is corporate america and I have always had my 3 year warranty to begin with-go figure.
                        I am interested in any feedback on the 18volt impact driver in anyone has this tool and wants to share??

Comment

Are you asking about the 18V NiCD/NiMH impact driver? I have the NiCD version, and I used it to setup my sons swing set (the gigantic Costco model that takes ~20 hours to put together).

THe impact driver never broke a sweat. It was a lot nicer to use for lag bolts than the hammer drill because I could tell by the change in pitch that it was tight, instead of having my wrist snap back when the drill made it too tight (I adjusted the clutch on the drill but 21 was too little and 22 was too high.....and there is no 21.5 ).

My impact driver actually came with the 5 pc set I picked up on clearance (R9223 is the model for the kit). Best 269.00 Ive ever spent on a set of tools. 3 batteries alone are almost half the cost of the set. The drill is nice (although Ive noticed the chuck slip occasionally........I suppose I could just replace it myself with a better part), the impact driver worked even better than Ive expected it. The circ saw is good for light duty work, as is the recip saw. And the worklight is as handy as any other flashlight.

-Chris

Comment

i have the 18/24 volt impact driver and i love it!!!!!!!!!!!
                            ive only used the 24 volt battery with it but wow dat thing is awesome!!!!!!
                            1490 inlbs of torque i believe.i do alot of tile work so i use alot of durock and hardibacker and that thing goes right thru it.where as a regular drill wouldnt let me get the screws in as flush.ever put cement board up u no wat i mean.but i also use it 4 alot of things. i love it.best tool available in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by khodgson View Post
                              This question is for everyone out there. How long did it take for your eBox to show the warranty extended from 3 years to lifetime. I purchased the R2930 Router before Christmas and the EB4424 Sander in January. Both have the Lifetime warranty and I completed the online claim form and mailed everything in. I have yet to hear anything from Ridgid, nor does my eBox show the updated warranty information. Is Ridgid just very slow or do they no longer offer the Lifetime warranty?
                              try giving them a call..

Comment

I agree with Quickster's post above regarding having back ups when taking any manufacturer's tools in for warranty work. It can take some time or you might get it back on the spot. Regarding the Lifetime Service Agreement, I have my own system and understanding of how to get it done. Yes, I do the electronic registration and I do send in the UPC label and copy of the receipt when I purchase the product. Here's the problem. Ridgid customer service doesn't know if you are going to keep, have kept, or returned the tool for a refund within the 90 day return period. Me, I understand that I have a 3 year warranty and if it takes 6 months to get the LSA, it's okay with me. I just received confirmation of conversion for 5 or so tools yesterday that were purchased and registered at the beginning of March. I will wait about 4 months and make a courtesy call - key word courtesy. It's my way of letting them know that I didn't return the tool for a refund and it's alright to work on converting this one to the LSA. If you think about their work load and the system that they have to install to ascertain that they truly are working on items that should be converted, a courtesy call that kinda tells them you still have the tool seems fair and it works. But, don't call before the 90 days have reasonably expired. I called them 2 days ago and - Voila, I received a boat load of emails notifying me of the LSA conversion even though at the time they told me it could be another 3 to 4 weeks. Happens this way for me every time.

Comment

Working...
                                X