Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Makita Compact Impact Driver

Hey guys,
    New to posting in the form been reading for many months. I saw the new Makita 18 volt compact impact driver at Home Depot this week. 18 Volts 1280 in/lbs of torque only 2.8 lbs and charges in 15 mins. It was going for $214.00. I bought the compact drill that they have and I love it. I think I just may have to add this to my collection. I read about the Bosch pocket impact driver that is coming out and if I recall it has 800 in/lbs of torque and I heard it will sell for $199.00. If that is the price difference I think I will definately go for the Makita. What about you guys?
    Attached Files

Re: New Makita Compact Impact Driver

I was waiting for the 18V set, or the Lithium 14.4V set, that they sell in Canada, to become available. It is much cheaper to buy the pair, then the two individually. After about 6 months of waiting I bought the Panasonic 14.4V set instead.

Comment

Makita is really bugging me artificially crippling and differentiating tools. That compact impact driver is exactly the same as the old blue LXT impact except it has the tab that doesn't allow the small battery to fit, removed. Oh and its white. I shaved the tab of my blue LXT impact driver and popped in the battery from my compact drill. Weighed it on the scale and came out at exactly 2.8lbs. I never even bother using the large battery on the impact driver. I even removed the tab off the hammer drill to be able to use the compact batteries in a tight spot or if all the big 3.0ah batteries are drained.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        Makita is really bugging me artificially crippling and differentiating tools. That compact impact driver is exactly the same as the old blue LXT impact except it has the tab that doesn't allow the small battery to fit, removed. Oh and its white. I shaved the tab of my blue LXT impact driver and popped in the battery from my compact drill. Weighed it on the scale and came out at exactly 2.8lbs. I never even bother using the large battery on the impact driver. I even removed the tab off the hammer drill to be able to use the compact batteries in a tight spot or if all the big 3.0ah batteries are drained.
        Interesting. I wonder if the new lightweight hammerdrill is just the old 1/2 inch drill with the depth stop and handle removed. That would lower the weight considerably.

Comment

The new compact drill isn't a hammer drill is it? I read a review in popular woodworking about the compact drill and I know it has a different motor. The compact drill is not only lighter but the motor is shorter.

I don't know why makita isn't just offering compact batteries for use in existing tools.

Velosapien is the charger the same for both batteries?

Comment

The compact drill is different than the hammer drill and standard blue drill/driver. Its quite smaller and lighter as well as only 2 speed. It has no hammer drill function. The impact driver however is exactly the same as far as I can tell. Specs are the same and everything. Makita made their blue tools so they can only take the large 3.0ah batteries, however, the white "economy tools" can take both the compact 1.5ah batteries as well as the full size 3.0ah ones. I don't understand the point of not allowing the blue tools to use the small batteries. Its pure marketing. Oh well, thats easily fixed. Its nothing more than a small square tab that blocks the compact battery from sliding in. Just needs to be filed off. The standard batteries have an extra groove on on side that clears the tab. The compact ones don't have it. Since the white tools don't have that tab both compact and full size batteries can be used with them.

The cargers for all Makita Lithium Ion batteries is the same. 14.4v 18v and 18v compact. Actually it even charges the slide style NiMH batteries used in the Makpro line, not the pod style ones though. The difference is the white tools are shipping with the new rapid charger which is actually better and even plays Mozart as well as other righ tones when the battery is charged. The fast charger will at some point replace the old standard charger on the blue tools but so far they are still shipping with the old one as far as I'm aware.

Comment

That's ridiculous! I can't believe they block the batteries like that!

Bosch has those two 36V batteries that are the slim and "fatpacks", but they both work on all the tools, as faras I know.

Makita are being pricks about that for sure. Kind of like the Sony of power tools. I wonder if you cut the tab off, if it effects your warranty?

Comment

Velosapien,

I am about to buy a Makita LXT impact driver b/c I am not waiting any longer for the max select one for my 24v set. I also would like to have a light weight drill. Which drill would you suggest as a smaller option to my 24v hammer drill? I'm either going to buy the compact or blue regular drill.

Comment

If you get the combo set with the impact and full size BHP451 drill it will save more money. The standard makita drill is still lighter and a little smaller than the Ridgid but the difference will not be as big. I think it depends on how much money you want to spend. If you already have the 24v set Imy preference would be to get the Makita compact drill for normal tasks and use the Ridgid 24v when you need to move the large bits or pound concrete. This will effectively give you 4 batteries and two chargers, one standard charger + 2 3.0ah batteries with the impact driver kit and one rapid charger with 2 1.5ah batteries for the compact drill. Thats more or less what I do. Use the compact Makita for most work and a Dewalt DC925 when I need something packing a bigger punch. If you're feeling adventurous and don't mind possibly voiding the warranty you can also do what I did and file off the tab from the impact driver. That way you can use the small batteries making the impact even smaller and lighter. Even with the compact batteries I have never managed to drain a battery on the impact yet. Its the kind of tool that does not benefit from large batteries. Thats sort of the big minus on the Ridgid impact with the huge 24v battery. If it was an impact WRENCH then that would be a bit more practical.

One trick you can do to save money is to buy the compact drill and pick up an impact driver bare tool on ebay since they are very cheap that way. You'll need to file the tab off to use the compact batteries from the drill but it will work fine.

Comment

Thanks Velosapien,

I think I am going to do what you suggested last. I am going to buy the compact drill and buy a bare impact driver. Then it won't be a big deal to file the tap on the tool. And if I see that I want 3.0 ah batteries, I can buy a two pack for $130. Although I found a reconditioned impact set for $220. Either way I am going with the compact drill. Thanks again for the advise.

Oh, has any one seen the new hybrid impact driver?

Comment

Velosapien has a good plan...if you are like him or me and you can always find a way to justify buying another tool. He mentioned three cordless drills in that post (probably has a few others tucked away.) :-)

Of the top of my head I can think of 8 cordless drills around here, a Ridgid 18V, 24V, a Panasonic 14.4V, a Ryobi One+ 2 speed and Ryobi One+ 3 speed hammerdrill, a Ryobi One+ right angle, a B&D 14.4v lithium, and a Bosch 12V.

I have 5 drivers, a Panasonic 14.4V impact, a Ryobi One+ 18V impact, a Ridgid 12V right angle impact, a Ridgid 9.6V, and a Skil 10.5V lithium.

I've not heard any bad reviews of an impact. I think they generally don't get as stressed as other tools and drive screws considerably more efficiently than a non-impact drill/driver. Of course, they also relief you of the stress of driving screws.

If I was recommending the most economical way to get an impact and a lighter drill to go with the Ridgid 24V set I'd recommend the Ryobi One+. The One+ impact is a little heavier than the Makita, at 4lbs, 9 oz., but it is still light compared to the Ridgid drill. Also, the One+ drill is a nice lighter alternative, to the Ridgid at 5lb, 5oz. If you are looking for selection, the Ryobi One+ system it is hard to beat (short of the DeWalt 18V.) Black & Decker is coming close, with it's 18V...but it still has some catching up to do in a couple areas. The One+ system isn't a contractor grade system, but it is a nice supplement to contractor tools, with lots of options....even garden tools like a chain saw, pruner and hedge trimmer. For the heavier duty stuff, I rely on Ridgid...for example the One+ reciprocating saw (like the B&D) is lightweight and vibrates your fillings.
                      Last edited by Disaster; 04-20-2007, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbletile View Post
                        Thanks Velosapien,

I think I am going to do what you suggested last. I am going to buy the compact drill and buy a bare impact driver. Then it won't be a big deal to file the tap on the tool. And if I see that I want 3.0 ah batteries, I can buy a two pack for $130. Although I found a reconditioned impact set for $220. Either way I am going with the compact drill. Thanks again for the advise.

Oh, has any one seen the new hybrid impact driver?

is there any reason against buying the compact Makita impact driver? I have seen this on e-bay for $180 in a kit with 2 batteries and charger.

If the Ridgid Max Select doesn't show up in the next week, I just might jump on the Makita. I like the short length 5 3/4". That is the shortest I have seen. The Ridgid site doesn't even list the dimensions of the impact driver, and the manual on that page is for some other driver.

The Makita just might be the best combination of torque, size, and weight. The HD price on the full size 18 Volt one is over $300, that's insane.

They don't have this one at my local HD, I wonder if they could order it. I will have to check that tomorrow.

Last edited by Skydivewags; 04-29-2007, 03:12 AM. Reason: Adding picture
                        Blue Skies,
                        Wags

Comment

The compact impact driver and the regular are the same except the battery. So if I buy the compact drill, I can just buy the bare impact driver for $100 and use the compact battery. And essentially have both compact tools for the price of the regular impact driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydivewags View Post
                            is there any reason against buying the compact Makita impact driver? I have seen this on e-bay for $180 in a kit with 2 batteries and charger.

If the Ridgid Max Select doesn't show up in the next week, I just might jump on the Makita. I like the short length 5 3/4". That is the shortest I have seen. [/IMG]
                            The Panasonic Lithium is 6 1/4" and that is still way too long when assembling stuff. I find the Ridgid right angle, at 2 3/4", works much better for mechanical work (like assembling shelf brackets...removing an underbody cover from the car...etc.)

Like "humbletile" said, since the lightweight impact is exactly the same as the one in the regular 18 volt kit, you can buy the drill for $200 and then pick up the impact alone on Ebay.

Note this picture of the new little Bosch. They show it tightening a nut but it is obvious that it couldn't get to the ones behind that one. That is where a right angle comes in handy. Bosch makes a little right angle, but it has a crappy electronic clutch.

Last edited by Disaster; 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Was at Lowes today and noticed Hitachi has a 18 and 12 volt lithium drill with 1.5amp hour batteries...like the Makita. The 18 volt was $179, the 12 volt was $149.

Interestingly, they were also a different color than the standard Hitachi green...more of a yellowish...like the Makita lightweight tools are a different color.

I can't find the tools on Hitachi's or Lowe's websites yet and they didn't have any on display...just the in boxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X