X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead 18 volt Hammerdrill

A friend of mine just gave me a dead 18 volt Ridgid hammerdrill. I guess when you put a battery on it a little smoke comes out of the vent holes from the upper back of the drill, but the drill does not turn. Is this drill worth repairing or should I just toss it? I'm wondering if its the brushes that would be doing that and if it is brushes are they easy to get and replace? I tried looking through the parts section of the website, but the only part I could find was the whole motor assembly for about $100. If thats the case, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Re: Dead 18 volt Hammerdrill

should be covered under the LSA or 3 year warranty if you can get the reciept

Comment

I don't know, I suppose the bearings could be jammed. The only time I had a drill smoke out was during startup it would turn slow with no power and smoke. Turned out to be a shattered brush. If its out of warranty just take it apart and see what you find.

Comment

If you decide to toss it please contact me. I could use the battery. Dead or alive.

Thank you,

Docfxit

Comment

The motor's brushes aren't serviceable like the motors in DeWalts. However, the motors are relatively inexpensive to replace. One concern is that something might have jammed that lead to the smoked motor. Remove the motor and check that the transmission and everything else spins freely. If that is the case, check with a Ridgid service center to see how much they charge for motors. It is a stock Emerson (if I recall) and if Ridgid is too expensive you could get the part number and try elsewhere.

Comment

When you put the battery in,you said it starts to smoke?well that tells me your switch is probally shorted out,and it will destroy your battery,if you dont get it out quickly.is it worth fixing?well without me looking it over and thinking it is your battery,yes it would be worth it.
            chic.
            A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

I took the motor out and everything inside seems to be spinning fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kelpike View Post
                I took the motor out and everything inside seems to be spinning fine.
                Can you spin the motor by hand? They have pretty big magnates so you might need to grip the shaft with a pliers or clamp in a vice (be sure to have something between the pliers and the shaft so you don't mar it.)

If the motor turns by hand it could still be a brush that jams under load. You can confirm the motor is the problem, by powering it up when it isn't hooked up to the trans. If internal connections reach when the drill is apart you can give it a little juice by pressing the trigger. You just want to touch the power on...not hold it on. If the motor is jammed the drill might draw very high current from the battery and if you hold it on for more than a second it could damage the battery or variable power switch in the trigger.

The final diagnostic would be applying power directly to the motor contacts (if you have a DC power source...any battery should work....even your car battery.) If it spins with a DC power source than the switch is the likely culprit.

Comment

Working...
                X