Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw Alignment Problem (MS1065LZ)

HEY RIDGID, PLEASE RESPOND TO THE LAST POST ON THIS THREAD

I just bought a brand new Ridgid 10" Compound Miter Saw (MS1065LZ) that is out of alignment right out of the box.

The blade is not a true 90 degrees from the fence. I attempted to adjust the alignment per the instructions in the manual, but there is not enough adjustment in the fence to make it true.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, any fix short of swapping for another? I see on another forum there is a recommendation to adjust 2 additional bolts that will swing the position of the blade. The manual is silent on any additional adjustment step. What do? Or should I just return the saw for another?
    Last edited by CAsawSTUD; 04-28-2007, 03:41 AM.

Re: Miter Saw Alignment Problem (MS1065LZ)

No don't return it, there is a thread just recently on this topic, that can help you. Use the search, try this one if this doesn't help then keep searching , I only searched for 1 minute but there is alot more, type in Saw Alignment in search.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ight=Alignment
    Last edited by garager; 04-16-2007, 07:26 AM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

found it, tanks!

for anyone else looking, try this link to adjust the miter:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11268 If they expect you to assemble and align the saw out of the box these directions should be printed in the manual.

But read on for a bigger problem with the bevel pivot that appears to be a common defect:
      Last edited by CAsawSTUD; 05-03-2007, 04:46 AM.

Comment

HEY RIDGID, PLEASE RESPOND

After making additional adjustments found elsewhere on this forum (but not included in the manual), the miter on my new CMS is square but the bevel is not (the blade flares to the left causing an uneven cut). It is noticeable on the very first cut on the kerf plate.

Posts elsewhere on the forum indicate this is a bevel pivot manufacturing defect that has become a common source of complaint and return. Failing some response from Ridgid, I am preparing to return the saw in favor of another brand.

I'd appreciate a response to this issue by a Ridgid rep. Do all of your 10" Compound Miter Saws have a bevel pivot defect? Your potential customers would like to know. The saws ought to be square and reliable out of the box. What do?
        Last edited by CAsawSTUD; 05-01-2007, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I have the Ridgid 12" slider and was worried that I may also have the bevel problem that so many have had. The first cut I made was approx 1/8th out across a piece 10" wide. Then tried again and remembered that another member of forum, I think Badger Dave, mentioned that when cutting a bevel you need to make sure that you are pulling in the direction of your bevel cut. I tried this approach on about six different cuts and practice does help, on the last cuts the square was dead on.............so maybe Ridgid does not have a problem????

Comment

I have read all the post on this problem about the different bolts and adjusting the arm and I decided to put it back in the box and get another one.
            Bingo,Dead Nuts right out of the box.I would suggest anyone who has the same problem with not enough adjustment room to square the fence to just bring it back.Obviously this is an assembly problem and we need to weed out all the bad ones.
            Other than that slight problem the saw is good quality and very solid.Sometimes you have to deal with a little agrevation or else spend another 200.00 for a higher end saw.(and it still may happen)
            Marc

Comment

Originally posted by TerryD View Post
              I have the Ridgid 12" slider and was worried that I may also have the bevel problem that so many have had. The first cut I made was approx 1/8th out across a piece 10" wide. Then tried again and remembered that another member of forum, I think Badger Dave, mentioned that when cutting a bevel you need to make sure that you are pulling in the direction of your bevel cut. I tried this approach on about six different cuts and practice does help, on the last cuts the square was dead on.............so maybe Ridgid does not have a problem????
              While it appears some of the slider owners have had the problem the primary problem is with the fixed saws, most notably the 10" model. Something on the pivot assembly simply appears to not be machined straight.

Comment

It does not appear that Ridgid monitors their own online forums. Pity...

So, out of curiousity and for the benefit of all you tool heads out there: I called the Ridgid tech line and spoke with a nice fella who searched for any technical service bulletins on the bevel pivot. He said there is one on the 12" but not on the 10" CMS and they had not received many phone calls about it.

I asked if they monitor this forum. He didn't and he was unaware if anyone else did. I then asked if it was likely the problem might affect both saws since they are likely machined at the same place. He agreed it made sense.

So I asked that my call be escalated. I got a return call from a Ridgid rep and we had a similar conversation. I suggested he pass along the value of monitoring this forum. So hopefully they will look more seriously into this and other defects thanks to all of your posts.

Judging by the serial number, the Ridgid rep indicated the saw had been newly manufactured. Mindful of the 90 day satisfaction guarantee and the lifetime service, he suggested I swap the saw to try another but it would be a gamble to see which saw is affected by the defect (likely an entire line since they are machined).

UPDATE:

So after giving it some thought I figured I'd go ahead and give it another go. Went to HD this evening but encountered some seriously misinformed clerks and managers. After going to the trouble of swapping the defective saw for another one, the clerk insisted -- wrongly -- that I would have only 30 days to check it out even tho I am less than a month into the 90 day satisfaction guarantee. When I noted this was nowhere in writing and was at odds with the printed receipt, the box, and the warranty info, she summoned a 'manager' who then insisted -- even more wrongly -- that if I swapped the defective saw for another they would not allow me to return it at all. He cited a nonexistent state law then tried some interesting twisted logic to claim there was some substantive difference between Ridgid and HD which owns Ridgid. At that point I told them they lost the sale and to just take it back and refund my money.

For that they had to summon yet another manager, as it happened it was the man who sold me the saw. He tried to save the sale but it was too late. HD had by this point fumbled an additional hour of my time (not counting how much time I had into the saw with all the assembly and alignment effort). I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to give Ridgid another chance. What happens if / when the next one needed to be returned. Not sure what good all these warranties are if they make it impossible -- or sufficiently unpleasant -- to use them.

Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna try out the DeWalt and see how that measures up.
                Last edited by CAsawSTUD; 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM.

Comment

hey found your post while searching for others, we have the same issue, i think. Mine wont stay at a ninety crosscut when it at 0 bevel vs 45 bevel.

Makes corners kind of look like 8th grade handtools.

who needs a laser when the tool isnt true to begin with.

find a silver lining

Comment

Working...
                  X