X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panasonic

does anyone know how long it will take panasonic to come out with other lith ion tools???

Re: panasonic

I suspect we'll see a bigger combo set soon. Interesting to see the charger that comes with the 14.4 volt tools supports up to 28.8 volts.

Having said that, Panasonic has never had a wide range of cordless tools. They've made a lot of different drills...right up to a concrete hammerdrill...but not much else. Their 18 volt circular saw and reciprocating saw almost seem like an afterthought...to sell more 18 volt drills.

Comment

They make one tool and they make it well

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
        They make one tool and they make it well
        True. Their specialty is drill/drivers. Their drills are relatively expensive but last forever.

Interestingly, in this test the Panasonic didn't fair well.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...=2481&partID=2

But the 18 volt isn't their bread and butter. The 15.6 NiMh volt is (and the 14.4 before that.) I suspect they came out with the 18 volt to have compete with all the other 18 volts on the market.

Comment

they do have a few circular saws out but none new. well i must say i do really like my panasonic impact and drill set but i need to also have a portable saw as well. the wait seems long for a new product to come out by panasonic. should i get a new tool set? dewalt? makita? ryobi? what do you think?

Comment

Well don't make the same mistake twice. Get a brand that has all the tools you need in their product line so you can expand your set as needed.
            I would like to update to all Li-Ion tools, but I have so many cordless tools now, that I think I will hold out for some time.
            I think you should consider Milwaukee if you want a good cordless saw.

Comment

yes Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita i will be all loooking into not ryobi since i really want lithium batteries. im really impressed with how long they last. i need a circular and jig so i guess ill be looking into these reviews again

Comment

Originally posted by screwit View Post
                yes Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita i will be all loooking into not ryobi since i really want lithium batteries. im really impressed with how long they last. i need a circular and jig so i guess ill be looking into these reviews again
                If you are looking for lighter weight and lithium, you eliminate Bosch, DeWalt and Ridgid.

Makita has their new lithium tools...unfortunately, other than their drill, the reviews haven't been great.

That leaves Milwaukee, which was quite clever by releasing an 18 volt lithium battery to fit their existing 18 volt lineup.

Rumor is that DeWalt will be coming out with a 18 volt lithium XRP battery....but we'll have to wait and see.

Also, Bosch has come out with a 14.4 and 18 volt Lithium drill...but only in their DIY lineup and there aren't any other tools that use the same batteries.

http://ukptocs.bosch-pt.com/boptocs-...&prod_id=11646

Comment

Ive had Dewalt in the past and felt that they were built great. It was just real heavy but that was years ago. im expecting a 14.4 or 18 lithium to come out some time and if it did id go with them. seeing that makita's saw reviews werent the best as you said Disaster. how about hitachi?

Comment

Originally posted by screwit View Post
                    Ive had Dewalt in the past and felt that they were built great. It was just real heavy but that was years ago. im expecting a 14.4 or 18 lithium to come out some time and if it did id go with them. seeing that makita's saw reviews werent the best as you said Disaster. how about hitachi?
                    DeWalt definitely lightened up their drill...and the latest XRP model gets rave reviews from everybody. If they had lithium batteries I probably would have gone that route.

Someone posted here about their dissapointment with all the Makita tools except for the impact gun.

I forgot about Hitachi. Their drill gets good reviews but what scared me away from them was several reports regarding their fragility. I found two or three reports of the drills breaking when dropped...one from only 4 feet! They all split at the handle. I took a close look at them at Lowes and I could see where it might happen...they are real thin where the web of your hand fits the handle. I'm the kind of guy that drops everything so I steered clear.

It does mention in this review the new lithium tool is "bulkier" so perhaps they beefed up the weak point (though it doesn't look any thicker there to me.)

http://blogs.toolbarn.com/brianm/200...ion-tools.html

Last edited by Disaster; 04-18-2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

DeWalt are going to be doing 18V and 28V lithium ion apparently. probably to try and round out their market coverage.

Makita took, what I call the "cellphone approach". Make them smaller, cooler looking and put nice flashy lights on them too. Apparently the charger also plays ringtones LOL actually I'm just kidding, the lights are a good idea and the tools are pretty decent.

For me, the whole schtick of cordless has been to try and approach what a corded tool can do. 18V has been almost good enough for a lot of stuff. Not bad. But I've always found the saws wanting and after a while it gets to be distracting.

So as soon as the high voltage came out, I jumped on that bandwagon real quick. Frankly I'm surprised that 28 and 36 is not outselling the lower voltages. But then again the tool line isn't very broad yet and there's more options available in 18. and of course the price point is lower, which makes it more attractive in terms of bang for buck.

My guess is that, in time, people will gradually migrate towards the higher voltage as they realize that you can get a lot more ability of your tools for a very minor weight penality.

Comment

It is definitely not a "one battery voltage fits all" kind of approach that will be the most successful. It is silly to have 24 volt batteries on a trimmer...or an impact driver for that matter. On the other hand I'll take 36 or even 48 volts on a circular saw if I can get it. A drill falls somewhere in the middle...18 volts is great for most purposes...perhaps supplemented by a heavy duty hammerdrill on the high end and a lightweight 14 volt cabinet makers drill on the other end.

By the way, power is a combination of voltage and amperage. When going up in cells a tool can have less amperage and still get the job done. In fact, motors have a tendancy to run more efficiently at higher voltages. The automotive industry has been wanting to adapt high voltage systems (plus 36 volts) for years but have been hampered by the high initial cost and the safety concerns.

What this means is a 36 volt cell 1.5 amp hour battery would have the same power as a 18 volt 3 amp hour battery. It would probably weigh slightly more, however, because it would require more individual cells.

Comment

Took a closer look at the new Hitachi lithium drill at Lowes. Noticed they removed the notches that were at the back of the grip...right where the grip is the thinnest. Perhaps this is in response to, and fixes the issue of the grip breaking when the tool is dropped.

This is the 12 volt but the 18 volt used to be the same (at least the ones at Lowes did.) Notice the notches at the web of the palm.

Here is the new lithium. Also, though I also don't see notches on the pic of the 18 volt Nicad at Amazon. Suspect they are both the same drill...just the battery difference.

Did find this negative review of reciprocating saw at Amazon though.

"I bought this kit for electrical work. The sawzall won't cut through 3/4 inch conduit without binding and stopping the motor. When I put the same blade in an old DeWalt sawzall, it cuts through the pipe like it was butter. Save your money and get a Milwaukee or a DeWalt combo kit instead."

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post

"I bought this kit for electrical work. The sawzall won't cut through 3/4 inch conduit without binding and stopping the motor. When I put the same blade in an old DeWalt sawzall, it cuts through the pipe like it was butter. Save your money and get a Milwaukee or a DeWalt combo kit instead."

Heh, now that sounds familiar.

Comment

Man, that hitachi looks like a super-soaker water gun. It's almost like they are coloring it to make sure cops know it isn't a gun when they pull you over and see it on your passenger seat.
                              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
                              X