X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charging???

I recently purchased the 24 volt hammerdrill then the 24 volt circular saw. I absolutely love both. Anyway, I just found a discarded 18 volt battery on one of my jobsites that still has a little charge on it. I know I can alter the 24 volt charger so that it will accept the 18 volt battery but will it damage one or the other. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Re: Battery Charging???

I think you answered your own question -- ALTER THE CHARGER!
    There's a reason it doesn't fit...

Comment

Sparks and arcs.....woooohoooo! The 18v Ridgid chargers go dirt cheap on eBay if you want to go the boring and safe way.
      Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

"just found a discarded 18 volt battery on one of my jobsites"........hmmm Sounds like one of the answers I've heard when my tools have been lost on job sites. "Dude, I thought it was discarded."

Comment

Why not try to find someone with a matching charger and see if the battery is good. OTOH, even if it has seen better days there is a rebuild company in Bedford, PA, that rebuild these to previous standards or will upgrade them to NIMH, in which case you will need a different charger. ( http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm ) The NiCads are going for $48 and the NiMHs are $72 (prices vary according to voltage).
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

That's wild that they would be in Bedford, but then why not. There's a chain store battery dealer called "Batteries Plus" that rebuilds battery packs. Anymore there really is no reason to pay the high prices for new ones as long as all you need is new cells put in them. If the battery in question were taken to such a place or to a good power tool repair shop they should be able to try charging and then check it.

Look on eBay (to search you don't need to be a member) for the correct charger. There are loads of them for sale. If you're not a member just ask around. I bet someone you know is signed up to buy stuff on eBay. It's totally wild what you can find for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by kelpike View Post
              I recently purchased the 24 volt hammerdrill then the 24 volt circular saw. I absolutely love both. Anyway, I just found a discarded 18 volt battery on one of my jobsites that still has a little charge on it. I know I can alter the 24 volt charger so that it will accept the 18 volt battery but will it damage one or the other. Thanks in advance for any replies.
              The 24 volt tools come with Lithium only chargers. You need a NiCd charger. Some companies (Panasonic for example) have made chargers that are compatible with both but Ridgid isn't one of them. Like others have said, pick up a NiCd charger on Ebay. People buy kits and break them up and sell the pieces on Ebay.

As far as compatibility of NiCd vs. NiMh it depends on the charger...however the safe bet is a charger designed for NiCd is quite possibly incompatible with NiMh.

There are several different charging techniques and monitors. On the more expensive chargers they look for a peak voltage which is when the voltage peaks and then drops off. The peak voltage hump is different between NiCd and NiMh and therefore requires different settings or the charger will fry the NiMh.

It is less expensive to use use temperature monitors (most tools chargers use temperature monitors.) Inside the battery is a thermistor. The third lead you see in your charger is the pickup for the temperature. The chargers stop charging when the cells hit a specific temperature. This is why you often have to wait to charge a battery after you've just used it. In the past, NiCds were more robust to higher temps (not sure if this is true with current generation of batteries) so there is also a risk with charging NiMh in this type of charger.
              Last edited by Disaster; 04-18-2007, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X