X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painted cast iron top

have any of you that live in real humid areas painted the top of your saws , jointers? i was reading an old book i have (copy right 1953) and it says to do this to protect from rust. right now i use linseed oil and wrap the top with plastic wrap when it is not in use and i think the painting is a better option for me. this saw lives under a car post so if wi get a driving rain it will get wet. it is a 1938 turner walker 745 tilt top, it's main use is rip small sized wood (1x8 is the largest) and some hobby use. and please don't mention bioshield as for i really would not want to use it for this saw. but it i could just use a "rustolum" paint and just touck it up as needed that would be fine with me as the oil and wraping and them wiping really takes some time and is becomeing a big PITA
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: painted cast iron top

Hi OSC!

Try using Penetrol. It is available in paint stores and HD. It has been used for years to add to oil based paint to increase its penetration and durability. My father used it in the 40's and 50's to keep metal from rusting in his humid basement up north.

I use it straight out of the can for my drill press table, handsaws, steel framing squares and other metal items in storage.

For a saw table, remove as much rust and dust as possible. Paint it on and let dry. With wood moving over it during the sawing process it will wear off. Simply dust off and paint on some more.

I would not recommend it for a saw that is used for cabinet making or other very accurate work.

Comment

thanks bill yes this saw is mostly just for rough work, nothing more than making big sticks in to little sticks so the "rub off" is not that much of a concren to me for this saw. and since you are only 30 miles from me we will have to get a beer some time.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I use Penetrol on my shovels, hoes and other outdoor tools and it works great for that. It would have to work better than wrapping your saw in plastic.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

badger dave i only wrap the saw in plastic wrap to keep all the dust and dirt from sticking to the top and fence and to keep the linseed oil that i use now from becoming a gooey mess. if i had the space i would keep it in the shop but i don't have the space for it right now now that my truck is in there and totaly dismantled. this saw is under my car port but still i use it once or twice a month. i just don't want to ruin it due to the weather here in south florida.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC, have a look at this stuff, a few guys have used it to replace the japanning (black stuff) on their restored hand planes. I am told it is very durable and comes in many colours. They have an online store and sell single cans $6.40 or by the case of 6 for $34.55

Comment

OSC, that plastic wrap may keep out the dust and dirt but it also traps in any moisture that is under the plastic. If you have to use the plastic to keep rain and such away from the saw I would put a layer of corrugated cardboard between the saw and the plastic.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i soak the top down with linseed oil before i put the plastic on
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC
                  The pentrol is what you want. It will solve your problem and make is a lot easier to use the saw when you want to.

I have done some informal tests of pentrol to see how well it holds up and and I find it will withstand direct exposure to Florida sun for at least 5 years.
                  I did a test spot on my air conditioner compressor outside and after five when I replaced the compessor unit the bare metal was still rust free.

I don't know why someone said they wouldn't use it on tools used for precise work. It really doesn't add enough thickness to worry about. I actually paint in on my rules, squares, and everything that will rust.

Give it a try, I was told about the product by an old timer that said he always used it on his tools. I tried it about 10 years and have used it ever since. I think a quart is less than $10 and the quart I have has lasted 10 years.
                  Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
                  X