X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid planer

I'm considering buying the ridgid planer.I see it comes with a stand. Is there an easy way to make this stand mobile? I have very little space to work in my garage, so all my tools must have a mobile base. This question also applies to the ridgid jointer. Thanks!

Re: ridgid planer

I believe both can be retrofitted with the Herculift system, which is an optional accessory. I just purchased the thickness planer and jointer and am looking for the same solution. Hopefully, others will post confirming this and/or what they've done for these tools.

-O&B

Comment

The Herc-U-Lift Plus would be an excellant add-on to this planer and I recall that instructions were provided for such, with the Herc-U-Lift installation manual.

Unfortunately, I believe that the Herc-U-Lift Plus is not currently available. Within the last three or four years, this excellent mobile system had been on and off shelves of Home Depot, with it's latest removal taking place last summer ('06). Who knows if it will be brought back again.

CWS

Comment

I have both my bandsaw and planer on a universal mobile base system from Woodcraft. You just add 3/4" plywood or MDF.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114

There are definitely better mobile bases out there, but not for $60, IMO. I would not recommend this base unit for a jointer or anything else where you are putting directional pressure on it, as the fixed wheels don't lock. Since the planer is self-fed it's no problem.

You could solve this issue very easily and make this base rock solid by drilling and tapping some bolt holes in the fixed-wheel housing and use bolts to secure the wheels from rolling. My Powermatic mobile base has this setUp and it doesn't move a bit when I'm using the jointer... which is why I got that base for that machine.

The nice thing with these Woodcraft units is that if you ever decide to place a machine in a permanent spot, you can reuse this kit for any other size machine, just by replacing the plywood.

Comment

I used this one one my joiner and it works great.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=139&p=2169
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I use the same base on my Ridgid Jointer at TOD does. The Ridgid Herculift system does not fit the jointer. Although there was a thread a while back from a gentleman who did do some modifications to the jointer and Herculift Plus system to make they work together. Probably more work than I would go through as the Delta works just fine for me. The Herculif Plus does fit the planer stand fine and that is what I use on mine. All kind of a moot point though as others have pointed out Ridgid doesn't seem to be selling the Herculift Plus at this time for whatever reason(s). I actually don't really care for the stand on my Ridgid planer, although that could easily be my fault and probably just needs a little TLC from me since it may not be all right after my move last year and I just haven't gotten the time yet to check it all back out. I believe at least one other person (and possibly more) have also mounted the planer on the Ridgid MSUV and like that setup as well.
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

What's a MSUV?

Comment

Originally posted by dmr View Post
                What's a MSUV?
                It took me some time to figure this out too. Miter Saw Utility Vehicle. Hope I'm right with this...
                If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Go to this link and it will show you what the MSUV is all about.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/AC9944-M...icle/index.htm
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I just got a Dewalt 735 and i am very impressed. There are some complaints about blade life but im not too worried about that. it is more than the ridgid but it is more portable if you lack space (i do). I got it for a steal. here is how:

Price $550
                    Lowes 10% coupon (Home depot honors lowes coupons)
                    Home depot 10% off for signing up for HD credit card
                    $60 rebate from dewalt.

comes out to a good deal.

Comment

I have Delta's 580 2 speed planer. Got it for only $229 at lowes plus they honored a home depot 10% off coupon on top of it. The ridgid planer,however,is highly rated.
                      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X