Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24V LI-Ion battery problems.

Originally posted by dandydan View Post
    Yeah I have had the clicking issue as well and yes the battery is being overloaded. I also believe i have a bad battery. I have been to hd once and exchanged the whole set due to one of my batteries would not charge. Now four months later I have one battery that works fine and one that seems fine sometimes and then sometimes it will click right away. I will try to charge it and as soon as it put it on the charger have 3 bars of power. I havn't tried the reset theory but I am a little dissappointed in general. I believe if I buy a 24 volt set as opposed to 18 volt the battery life would be unsurpassed. At first this was true but now I just think its like buying a brand new car that just came out. YOu might get lucky or you might just get bent over.
    Dandy.....If you return it to a service center for exchange please let us know how it works out. We have heard several horror stories and to date one excellent result from exchanging batteries.

Comment

I repair Ridgid tools. From a Service Center perspective... I believe that I give excellent service to all my customers.

As far as the 24V Li-on Batteries go. Check the dates on them. I have seen a little bit of a pattern in the batteries going. Around 0621 seems like they might be an issue. I have spoken on a number of occasions with Ridgid Tech. They say there were some bad batteries go through, but not sure the date codes.

Funny thing. They say that it seems to be one battery from a kit that goes. Well, here's a rhetorical question... If it is one battery that goes and the other has the same date... Why is just one going bad?

My policy is to replace both batteries when a customer comes in with one having a problem. I also thoroughly check all the tools and their operation.

Good luck to anyone with any issues. I hope they are resolved to your satisfaction.
      Last edited by PwrToolGuy; 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.

Comment

I have 2 kits and the batteries have same numbers on all 4 batteries.
        http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

How do you check the date? Is it the 'serial number'?

Comment

24V LI-Ion battery back order

I have two 24V LI-Ion batteries . One will not charge at all the other is acting up . I have two chargers same problem with each. I spoke with two service centers and they dont have the replacement batteries. They said that ridges has not replaced these baterries in over 2 months. One serice center acted like you might away through away the tools. If any one advice or information please respond
            Thanks

Comment

Re: 24V LI-Ion battery back order

Originally posted by prattared View Post
              I have two 24V LI-Ion batteries . One will not charge at all the other is acting up . I have two chargers same problem with each. I spoke with two service centers and they dont have the replacement batteries. They said that ridges has not replaced these baterries in over 2 months. One serice center acted like you might away through away the tools. If any one advice or information please respond
              Thanks
              That is scary. Did they sit a while? I notice they have a pretty fast drain rate from the onboard protection circuit. Lithium will not come back if they go below a certain voltage. My fear is I will forget about them and they will dip too low and die.

Comment

Re: 24V LI-Ion battery back order

Originally posted by prattared View Post
                Thanks
                Bummer....I would call Ridgid customer service or possibly this number for Ridgid power tool parts....To place an order for Woodworking Power Tool parts or accessories, contact 1-866-539-1710.
                Let us know it goes...Ray

Comment

Originally posted by PwrToolGuy View Post
                  As far as the 24V Li-on Batteries go. Check the dates on them. I have seen a little bit of a pattern in the batteries going. Around 0621 seems like they might be an issue. I have spoken on a number of occasions with Ridgid Tech. They say there were some bad batteries go through, but not sure the date codes.
                  Any one have any further word on date codes with the 24 volt XLi batteries? I've got two, and they're "G0730". Now, I understand that this number, the "serial number", stands for them being manufactured during the 30th week of 2007, but I'm just curious about a few things.

Does anybody know anything further about issues with certain production runs of these batteries? I know that there was some serious flaws/problems with some of the early ones, mostly with early/middle of 2006 date codes, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows of any other issues.

Also, I got these batteries in a 3-piece 24 volt tool kit, # R931 (2 bats, charger, hammerdrill, recip, flashlight). It was marked down at this one Michigan HD that I go to at $379 - apparently it used to sell for $429 just back before Christmas (damn thing sells for $589 or something like that at our Canadian HD's). 'Cause I bought a bunch of other stuff, I talked the manager down to giving it to me for $329. This was basically due to something that popped out during our conversation. He said that the SKU for that set has not been de-activated yet, but that it is out of the standard inventory ordering system. Apparently, HD's aren't ordering that set in anymore - they are being clearanced out, with no more being ordered in. I went to another HD a few streets away, and they are sold out of that kit, with no more being ordered in, and the SKU has been de-activated on their system.

So, are the 24 volt tools (and/or MaxSelect tools) being phased out? Or are they just going to be repackaged in different formats?

Josh? ProBrand?

Also, if anyone has any help about the 24 volt battery date codes / flaws issue, please also chime in.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    Any one have any further word on date codes with the 24 volt XLi batteries? I've got two, and they're "G0730". Now, I understand that this number, the "serial number", stands for them being manufactured during the 30th week of 2007, but I'm just curious about a few things.

Does anybody know anything further about issues with certain production runs of these batteries? I know that there was some serious flaws/problems with some of the early ones, mostly with early/middle of 2006 date codes, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows of any other issues.

Also, I got these batteries in a 3-piece 24 volt tool kit, # R931 (2 bats, charger, hammerdrill, recip, flashlight). It was marked down at this one Michigan HD that I go to at $379 - apparently it used to sell for $429 just back before Christmas (damn thing sells for $589 or something like that at our Canadian HD's). 'Cause I bought a bunch of other stuff, I talked the manager down to giving it to me for $329. This was basically due to something that popped out during our conversation. He said that the SKU for that set has not been de-activated yet, but that it is out of the standard inventory ordering system. Apparently, HD's aren't ordering that set in anymore - they are being clearanced out, with no more being ordered in. I went to another HD a few streets away, and they are sold out of that kit, with no more being ordered in, and the SKU has been de-activated on their system.

So, are the 24 volt tools (and/or MaxSelect tools) being phased out? Or are they just going to be repackaged in different formats?

Josh? ProBrand?

Also, if anyone has any help about the 24 volt battery date codes / flaws issue, please also chime in.

Thanks.
                    Man, I feel lucky. I got the same kit when it was on sale for $269, plus I had a 10% off coupon. Anyway, my batteries have a serial# of g0630. So far they have been fine. I have experienced what was described earlier though. If I'm drilling through something like concrete, sometimes the battery will seem to go dead. All I have to do is put it on the charger and it resets and works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
                      Man, I feel lucky. I got the same kit when it was on sale for $269, plus I had a 10% off coupon. Anyway, my batteries have a serial# of g0630. So far they have been fine. I have experienced what was described earlier though. If I'm drilling through something like concrete, sometimes the battery will seem to go dead. All I have to do is put it on the charger and it resets and works fine.
                      That's why I didn't jump the shark and buy one of those earlier sets - $269 is fine, but it's no fun if you're having battery issues like others have. I wanted to wait for a bit to get away from the mid '06 production runs on these 24 volt batteries. Also, they seem to be clearing these out, so with buying them where I have, if there is a sale in the next month or so (as is usually the case with HD and their January/February tool clearances), then I can just bring my receipt back in and get the difference back. Saves having to try to pick up a set when the sale prices are on, and then be out of luck if they're all sold out.

No matter what, I don't mind paying $60 more than you did, if I'm lucky enough to not have battery issues like so many others have. I have not yet opened up the set and charged and tested everything out, but I soon will - we'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                        That's why I didn't jump the shark and buy one of those earlier sets - $269 is fine, but it's no fun if you're having battery issues like others have. I wanted to wait for a bit to get away from the mid '06 production runs on these 24 volt batteries. Also, they seem to be clearing these out, so with buying them where I have, if there is a sale in the next month or so (as is usually the case with HD and their January/February tool clearances), then I can just bring my receipt back in and get the difference back. Saves having to try to pick up a set when the sale prices are on, and then be out of luck if they're all sold out.

No matter what, I don't mind paying $60 more than you did, if I'm lucky enough to not have battery issues like so many others have. I have not yet opened up the set and charged and tested everything out, but I soon will - we'll find out soon enough.
                        Makes sense. Like I said, mine have been fine and I use them just about every day. I think the thing with them appearing to go dead is the way it was designed. It has only done it when I'm drilling through something that catches the bit and binds it up enough to actually stop the drill, and this has only happened maybe twice. And I've never had a problem with them taking a charge, or to start clicking right after taking it of the charger.

Comment

Have any of you actually received recently a replacement 24 volt battery from Ridged. From what I understand Ridge does not have any

Comment

My two batteries have what seems like too short a life for such weight and 24v.

I use the recip saw to cut small branches for firewood, and a fully charged battery only lasts about an hour. At the very end the saw slows down, then very soon starts clicking. Put it in the charger and it is charged in less than an hour, but I always leave them on for 24 hours to top off. 0719, 0651.

I have some large jobs coming up, and need to know whether this is abnormal or not? This is my first set of rechargable tools (never trusted them before), so I have nothing to judge by.
                            Last edited by Quantum; 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum View Post
                              My two batteries have what seems like too short a life for such weight and 24v.

I use the recip saw to cut small branches for firewood, and a fully charged battery only lasts about an hour. At the very end the saw slows down, then very soon starts clicking. Put it in the charger and it is charged in less than an hour, but I always leave them on for 24 hours to top off. 0719, 0651.

I have some large jobs coming up, and need to know whether this is abnormal or not? This is my first set of rechargable tools (never trusted them before), so I have nothing to judge by.
                              If you are using it at a fairly constant rate, one hour sounds acceptable. I seem to remember one of the comparison tests where they locked down the trigger on a 24V circ saw(same size motor as recip) and a full charge lasted 15 minutes under no load. Both the recip and circ saws draw alot of current and eat up batteries fairly fast....Ray

Comment

I would agree. I have the V28 Milwaukee and running the recip constantly under load chews up the battery time fast, same with the circular saw.
                                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                                X