Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24V LI-Ion battery problems.

Originally posted by prattared View Post
    Have any of you actually received recently a replacement 24 volt battery from Ridged. From what I understand Ridge does not have any
    I bought the big 24 volt li-ion set after Christmas '06 for $317, was $600. Last week of December '07 one of my batteries went bad so I turned it in at my local HD. They sent back a new 18 volt battery twice, I went off on them and they gave me a new 24 volt battery from a kit they had sitting in the office.
    3 weeks ago I scored a 24 volt li-ion starter set(battery, charger and bag) for 89.50 on clearance at HD and parted it out on ebay.

Comment

I hadn't seen a 24 volt battery kit in San Diego in months. But, behold, sitting on top of the ridge above the pictorial placards that now provide the power tool information, a dusty, unopened 24 volt lithium battery kit bearing a shipping sticker of date 18 Jan 2007. It wasn't there this morning when I bought job supplies and my habit of peeping for bargains paid off - someone had found it in the overheads and sat it on the tool ridge. The once proud price of $199 reduced to $89.50 at the register and the almost last bit of my hoped for power tool weaponry obtained. I asked at the register if there was possibly another in the store. Checking the computer it showed that they had (-1) now available. Somehow they were showing (0) in the store and with my purchase they now had -1. Charged it on the onsite job generator and stuck it in the max select 18/24 circ saw and ran it against the new 18 volt lithium on a couple of wood cut tests (nothing scientific) and there is a difference, but nothing scientific. Even just pulling the trigger against the different voltages you can hear that there is a noticeable pitch difference in the motor using the 24 volt lithium vis a vis the 18 volt lithium. The power tool gods have smiled upon their humble servant and made this beast of power available and I am grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by buildenterprises View Post
        I bought the big 24 volt li-ion set after Christmas '06 for $317, was $600. Last week of December '07 one of my batteries went bad so I turned it in at my local HD. They sent back a new 18 volt battery twice, I went off on them and they gave me a new 24 volt battery from a kit they had sitting in the office.
        3 weeks ago I scored a 24 volt li-ion starter set(battery, charger and bag) for 89.50 on clearance at HD and parted it out on ebay.
        See, the problem is you're trying to make a pig fly. It will never happen and all you do is piss off the pig and yourself. There have been a gazillion posts on here about guys like you going back to HD with service and battery replacement issues after the 90 day period.
        ........As you found out through a nasty experiance, you can go to Home Depot and demand that they perform a function they are ill equiped to do. They aren't trained to be a service center for Ridgid or DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, et. all. If you are demanding enough, because HD tries to be accommodating they will try to perform a function that they are not very good at......as you and hundreds before you have found out. Next time try following the procedure and it might be a more pleasant experiance.......
        see below.......
        RIDGID
        HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE DURING THE INITIAL 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
        The Limited Lifetime Service Agreement commences after the expiration of the standard RIDGID 3-year Limited Warranty. To obtain service for this RIDGID tool during the 3-year Service Warranty, you must return it freight prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and stationary power tools. You may obtain the location an authorized service center by calling (toll-free)1-866-539-1710 or by logging on to the RIDGID Web site at www.ridgidwoodworking.com.

HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE UNDER THE LIMITED LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT
        YOUR LIMITED LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER AND PROPER PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION MUST BE PRESENTED WHEN REQUESTING SERVICE COVERED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.

To obtain service for your RIDGID tool under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, you must return it freight prepaid to: One World Technologies, Inc., attn: RIDGID Hand Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service,1428 Pearman Dairy Rd, Anderson, SC 29625.

You may also take it to a designated service center. You may obtain the location of the designated service center nearest you by calling (toll free) 1-866-539-1710 or by logging on to www.ridgid.com. Not all authorized RIDGID Brand service centers have been approved to provide service under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. When requesting service under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, you must present your Limited Lifetime Service Agreement Identification Number and proper personal identification (a valid driver's license, passport, or military I.D. or a valid Social Security card with photo ID). The service center will repair or replace any part covered under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, at our option, at no charge to you.

Comment

Ray, down boy. Can't scare away all the new members, can we?

You are right, in that he didn't follow proceedure after the 90 days, by going back to HD, and getting upset that they were screwing up something that they weren't really supposed to be doing in the first place. Yes, it's just as much his fault as it was HD's fault. But don't bark at the guy too hard - his post is a little bit ambiguous, in that some HD's do process the LLSA service for you, by sending out the components to the service centers to be handled (not sure if some HD's have service centers themselves). Not sure if maybe his HD was being the middle-man for him, or if he was just demanding a straight exchange for his batts.

But play nicely. Looks like Wousko isn't the only one who howls on here.

Comment

Ray, you need to realize that alot of people here (including myself) have been told by Home Depot employees that they could bring the tools back to Home Depot for service under the LSA. They told me when I bought my tools that I could bring it back there and they would send it to an authorized service center. Maybe this was incorrect, but it's what I was told. You can't fault someone for following the directions given to them by the store where they bought the tools in the first place.

Comment

I apologise to To Builden for being a little strong in my commentary. I didn't notice he was new to the forum.
              Let me start over......Builden, welcome to the forum. You will find alot of help here for many issues related to tools, various construction and maintainence questions,
              relationship advi...er..strike that. We have alot of fun and actually learn some stuff.
              I would suggest that in the future we would all understand that the Home Depot has a very difficult time doing what they are supposed to do......Big, box mass merchandiser. Most of their employees are minimaly trained at best. Lets please help everyone out and not ask them to do what they are not trained or systematised to do. If some tool salesman from HD told you to bring the tool there for repair or battery exchange after the 90 day, he or she did not know what they are talking about.......Gee, imagine that from a salesman. Now, with that said I will be the first to defend the helpful attitude of most HD employees. Over the years I have found them to be cheerful, helpful, and willing to go beyond what is normal to support the products they sell and provide customer service. The simple truth is many of us remember and were spoiled by the "Old Home Depot" which had a large number of experianced craftsmen in the various departments. Then along came "that president" who decided that such highly experianced people weren't necessary and alot of money could be saved by firing them and replacing them with untrained personnel. We found out what he had in mind for this saved money when he was fired and left with his $400 million dollar golden parachute. The lucky people at Chrysler have him now. We'll see how that works out.
              There have been extensive threads on this form relative to this issue and to the best of my memory there has never been an exception providing for a HD to function as a Ridgid service center. I am totaly confident that if anyone were to scroll to the top of this page and click on "Support" and follow that to the list of Ridgid Power Tool service centers, they will find no Home Depot facilities listed there.
              Again....welcome to the forum and have fun...Ray

Comment

I have 2 24 Volt Xli batteries that came in a combo pack, they are worse than my 2 18V Ridgid's , Once fully charged they can sit on my shelf for a week and die withing 5 mins of using them, My 18V ridgit ( not xli ) go for a lot longer time, Will ridgid replace the 2 24volt batteries for me, I've had them for more than 90 days.
                thaks

Comment

Originally posted by sandhu49 View Post
                  I have 2 24 Volt Xli batteries that came in a combo pack, they are worse than my 2 18V Ridgid's , Once fully charged they can sit on my shelf for a week and die withing 5 mins of using them, My 18V ridgit ( not xli ) go for a lot longer time, Will ridgid replace the 2 24volt batteries for me, I've had them for more than 90 days.
                  thaks
                  As long as you followed the LLSA registration rules, then just bring them to your local service center.

Comment

Originally posted by sandhu49 View Post
                    thaks
                    Even without the LLSA, you have a three year warranty and your service center should have no problem getting replacements. I swapped out 2 of the 24 volt batteries last month and the turnaround was 7 days (which in includes the weekend). The guys down at my service center did a great job of getting things done and Ridgid did a great job of sending the replacements. I had the same concerns and spoke to a Ridgid tech who told me to return them as the 24 volt tools should run and outperform the 18v and as mine were not I exchanged them. Now, no problems. Good Luck

Comment

i have the same problem, bought combo kit that had 2 batteries, one went bad after 30 days, they would not warranty, the service center would sell me a replacement for 300. i bought a drill that had two batteries. now 3 of four are bad, two show on the charger as defective, on shows to charge, but will discharge by itself if not on charger, hd does not carry the batteries. love the power and usage, but cannot handle the battery probs, about to throw in the garbage and go back try milwaulkie 24v

Comment

I have read all the threads reference the batteries. I just tried mine today and they didn't last 10 mins. If there is a problem with a batch shouldn't they be recalled? I am completely satisfied with the quality of Ridgid but this looks like they are hoping this will go away on it's own.

Comment

It is not only yours problem but it is the problem of every one bcoz due to heavy equipment with more HP can eat down the whole battery due u have any suggestion for this problem.
                          Power Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by allmywebsite1 View Post
                            It is not only yours problem but it is the problem of every one bcoz due to heavy equipment with more HP can eat down the whole battery due u have any suggestion for this problem.
                            Wow. Please watch your grammar, punctuation, and spelling - these kind of posts are hard to interpret.

Comment

At the time I purchased my set you could exchange your batteries through your local HD store. Not anymore. To make matters worse, the nearest service center is an hour away. There used to be a service center near by but it seems the service centers come and go quicker than the seasons. I just received the jig saw but can't use it because both batteries are dead. I have purchased so many RIDGID products and had been loyal till now. My most recent purchase was DeWalt because I know they are consistent. Very very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by bummed View Post
                                At the time I purchased my set you could exchange your batteries through your local HD store. Not anymore. To make matters worse, the nearest service center is an hour away. There used to be a service center near by but it seems the service centers come and go quicker than the seasons. I just received the jig saw but can't use it because both batteries are dead. I have purchased so many RIDGID products and had been loyal till now. My most recent purchase was DeWalt because I know they are consistent. Very very disappointing.
                                I don't know?......Bummed comes on with his first post and rants up Ridgid without providing us with any real information. His post looks like half truths out right untruths and otherwise as a setup to trash Ridgid and pimp DeWalt.
                                1-I have been purchasing many brands of cordless tools from HD for years and never remember them providing battery exchange as policy for "any brand" at the store. I remember exchanging complete sets if one was defective and I remember hearing about someone receiving a new battery for a defective if they raised enough of a fuss.

2-He doesn't tell us how long he's owned the batteries. They may be old enough so the Ridgid batteries are the only brand still replacable due to the benifits of the LSA. If that is the case he could contact Ridgid customer service and they would arrnage for replacement via mail or UPS.

3-He imply's that DeWalt is problemless which is of course nonsense. We have been in the contracting business for 20 years and own every major brand of tools including Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Porter Cable, et. all. They have all provided good tools and every brand has provided some with problems. In fact before we switched to ridgid cordless tools we had purchased a number of DeWalt corldless. The very last purchase was a DeWalt 14.4V XRP screwgun. The transmission failed within a few days of service. The seller replaced it within a few days and we still enjoy excellent service from our DeWalt tools. We switched to Ridgid power tools primarily for the benefits of the LSA. We started purchasing Ridgid tools two years ago and have not had a failure to date. We currently own in excess of 40 Ridgid power tools and they are used and abused every day.
                                I don't believe this guys story and suggest that his name and total lackof any usefull information tells the true story.

Comment

Working...
                                X