24V LI-Ion battery problems.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24V LI-Ion battery problems.

WOW - roadrashray! I am not a DeWalt pimp by any means. I had not purchased a non-Ridgid product when one was available, since 2000, having spent in the neighborhood of $3500, personally. Most of what is purchased through our development company is Ridgid as well so I have a smidge of experience. I am extremely frustrated because I spent the extra money on the 24v kit because it was to be the cat's meow and now I am having battery problems. I have contacted customer service at least half a dozen times by both phone and email and have had two stores contact customer service, all with the same answer, go to a service center. If you know of another route to replacement them by mail/ups, I would be greatly in your debt.

1 - For several years we had been able to exchange our Ridgid batteries through the Pro desk at our local HD. I don't have an exact count but we probably exchanged in the neighborhood of 20 batteries. This has gone away.

2 - The batteries are 1 1/2 years old. When I purchased the kit, it came with the lifetime warranty on the tools and batteries for life.

3 - It has nothing to do with DeWalt be perfect, it has everything to do with Dewalt being commonly available where Ridgid is only available at HD.

I admit, this have been extremely frustrating. How would you feel if you had spent this type of money and now you can't use the tools because the batteries have failed? I was going to purchase a new battery just to get by until I could get this resolved but it costs $250.

Comment

Originally posted by bummed View Post
      WOW - roadrashray! I am not a DeWalt pimp by any means. I had not purchased a non-Ridgid product when one was available, since 2000, having spent in the neighborhood of $3500, personally. Most of what is purchased through our development company is Ridgid as well so I have a smidge of experience. I am extremely frustrated because I spent the extra money on the 24v kit because it was to be the cat's meow and now I am having battery problems. I have contacted customer service at least half a dozen times by both phone and email and have had two stores contact customer service, all with the same answer, go to a service center. If you know of another route to replacement them by mail/ups, I would be greatly in your debt.

1 - For several years we had been able to exchange our Ridgid batteries through the Pro desk at our local HD. I don't have an exact count but we probably exchanged in the neighborhood of 20 batteries. This has gone away.

2 - The batteries are 1 1/2 years old. When I purchased the kit, it came with the lifetime warranty on the tools and batteries for life.

3 - It has nothing to do with DeWalt be perfect, it has everything to do with Dewalt being commonly available where Ridgid is only available at HD.

I admit, this have been extremely frustrating. How would you feel if you had spent this type of money and now you can't use the tools because the batteries have failed? I was going to purchase a new battery just to get by until I could get this resolved but it costs $250.
      OK Bummed.....Following are the instructions for obtaining service directly from corporate customer service under the SLA.
      HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE UNDER THE LIMITED LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT
      YOUR LIMITED LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER AND PROPER PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION MUST BE PRESENTED WHEN REQUESTING SERVICE COVERED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.

To obtain service for your RIDGID tool under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, you must return it freight prepaid to: One World Technologies, Inc., attn: RIDGID Hand Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service,1428 Pearman Dairy Rd, Anderson, SC 29625.

You may also take it to a designated service center. You may obtain the location of the designated service center nearest you by calling (toll free) 1-866-539-1710 or by logging on to www.ridgid.com. Not all authorized RIDGID Brand service centers have been approved to provide service under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. When requesting service under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, you must present your Limited Lifetime Service Agreement Identification Number and proper personal identification (a valid driver's license, passport, or military I.D. or a valid Social Security card with photo ID). The service center will repair or replace any part covered under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, at our option, at no charge to you.

I checked the Ridgid service center directory for your city and received the following list of Service centers in your area.

Const. & Ind. Supply Co. Inc. (Cisco Tools)
      1901 McGee St.
      Kansas City
      MO,64108
      TEL: (816) 842-7777
      Fax: (816) 842-1601
      Miles From You = 18.8

DARCO EQUIPMENT CO
      6519 STADIUM DRIVE
      KANSAS CITY
      MO,64129
      TEL: 8169241245
      Fax: 8169246417
      Miles From You = 20.1

Whiteley's Tool & Repair
      211 NW Norris
      Topeka
      KS,66608
      TEL: (785) 232-9913
      Fax: (785) 233-3574
      Miles From You = 47.6

Jeff's Small Engines
      11948 SW US Hwy 59
      St. Joseph
      MO,64504
      TEL: (816) 688-7907
      Fax: (816) 688-7907
      Miles From You = 57.5

Ragdon Corporation
      1604 Frederick Avenue
      Saint Joseph
      MO,64501
      TEL: (816) 233-5416
      Fax: (816) 233-5416
      Miles From You = 61.1

Stewart Enterprises
      7681 N. W. Sale Barn Rd
      Cameron
      MO,64429
      TEL: (816) 632-6578
      Fax: (816) 632-1055
      Miles From You = 66.7

While some of them may be an hour from you this list would indicate a few are quite close..........Ball's in your court!

Comment

I have contacted customer service at least half a dozen times by both phone and email and have had two stores contact customer service, all with the same answer, go to a service center.
        Um...yup. That is the way it is supposed to be done, and is plainly shown in the LLSA literature. If you had a problem with this from the get-go, then maybe you shouldn't have purchased and in essence agreed to it.

For several years we had been able to exchange our Ridgid batteries through the Pro desk at our local HD. I don't have an exact count but we probably exchanged in the neighborhood of 20 batteries. This has gone away.
        Consider yourself lucky. That store saved you the cost of driving to your local service center then, and in essence saved you money in the long run. Many people, such as myself, don't have that luxury - and we understand the rational of taking the tool to a service center, and may not live close to one, and understand that from the start.

Okay, so the batteries have failed, and you presently can't go use your tools. So get your batteries serviced! Frustrating, understood, but that's what the 3-year warranty and LLSA is for. Yes, we understand your service center is an hour's drive away (or less than what you're stating, based on Ray's service center search for your area). You're complaining about that, something that would only cost you $20 or so in gas (or less, with some only a few miles away), but you'd go out to purchase an entirely new battery instead? Doesn't make sense to me.
        Last edited by canucksartech; 06-30-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

You are all missing the point. I like my RIDGID tools. I think they make a great product and they stand by that product but "is there a problem with the batteries on the 24volt lith-ion tools and have they acknowledged that problem?" If I have to go to the service centre which is 100km away so be it. But tell me if there is a problem? I am not using my drill or saw right now and have offered it to friends in the building industry to use so I can determine if there is a problem. I don't want to find out when I need them the most and I didn't purchase it to find out I have problems before I even get to use it. And I don't care if HD doesn't or does replace the batteries. That's not the issue here. The issue is the quality of the batteries.

Comment

Earlier batches had issues, but I believe they've sorted that out. I think the majority of that was with "G06__" ones, in one certain quarter of the year (you'd have to check out other 24-volt threads for specific ranges). Mine are mid-07, and work great.

Comment

Originally posted by cyqq View Post
              I have read all the threads reference the batteries. I just tried mine today and they didn't last 10 mins. If there is a problem with a batch shouldn't they be recalled? I am completely satisfied with the quality of Ridgid but this looks like they are hoping this will go away on it's own.
              You are all missing the point. I like my RIDGID tools. I think they make a great product and they stand by that product but "is there a problem with the batteries on the 24volt lith-ion tools and have they acknowledged that problem?" If I have to go to the service centre which is 100km away so be it. But tell me if there is a problem? I am not using my drill or saw right now and have offered it to friends in the building industry to use so I can determine if there is a problem. I don't want to find out when I need them the most and I didn't purchase it to find out I have problems before I even get to use it. And I don't care if HD doesn't or does replace the batteries. That's not the issue here. The issue is the quality of the batteries.
              We aren't missing the point, we were responding to Bummed, not you.
              If you have read all the posts then you already know there was a report of a defective batch of batteries in late 06' or early 07'.
              We like to help people but please help us help you..........
              You stated in your first post that you tried yours today and they didn't last 10 minutes. What does that mean? Are the tools brand new and this was the first attempt at using them. Have you had them for some period and have been using them and they suddenly stopped working? How long have you had the tools and batteries? If they are less than 90 days old and you a sure they are completely charged, return the set to Home Depot for exchange. If they are older than 90 days then contact Ridgid customer service for return under the LSA or one of the service centers in your area.
              We can't tell you if they should be recalled, that's a question for Ridgid. What did you're friends in the building industry find out? What do you mean "you don't care if HD does or doesn't replace the batteries?" "The issue is the quality of the batteries!" First of all according to the terms of the warranty's if the tools and batteries are over 90 days old the issue is Ridgid's not HD's.
              You are very confusing. If you have read all the posts on the battery issues you will know some of us had problems over a year ago with a defective batch and there are continuing occasional complaints from some with battery problems.
              If you are having a problem and want it addressed I suggest you follow the procedure outline above. If you don't care, then don't do anything and keep the dead batteries. Did you ever consider that you might have a charger problem, not a battery one.
              Hope this is helpfull.....Ray
              Last edited by roadrashray; 07-02-2008, 03:45 PM.

Comment

What is considered to be an average working time for a fully charged battery. The batteries are new, they have been discharged once(took five mins each), they have been charged for 12hours continuous charge and have just lasted approx 10 mins on one battery, cutting 4 X 4 treated posts. Is that considered an average length of charge for hard cutting?

Comment

i haven'tused my 932 combo kit yet, but a family member has one and the batteries last considerably longer than 5 mins under stressful use.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

What is considered to be an average working time for a fully charged battery. The batteries are new, they have been discharged once(took five mins each), they have been charged for 12hours continuous charge and have just lasted approx 10 mins on one battery, cutting 4 X 4 treated posts. Is that considered an average length of charge for hard cutting?
                    Are you stating that you have only used the batteries twice and they discharged after 5 minutes the first time and 10 minutes the second?
                    That would indicate something wrong with either the batteries or the charger. You state you were cutting 4x4 treated posts when the battery went dead in 10 minutes. I can tell you from extensive experiance using the 24V circ saw that with that kind of cutting it would be very easy to bind the blade and load the batteries where the overheat circuit will kick in and shut the battery down. A way to confirm this is to put the battery into the charger. If the battery shut down due to an overheat condition it will show 3 bars on the fuel guage and reset in a couple of minutes.
                    We use the 24V circ saw extensively and have found it to to be excellent for up to 3/4" ply, all 1"x cuts and rips, good for 2x4 cuts, and challenged for anything larger. I have used it for cutting large posts, however care must be taken to not let it bind or it is very easy to cause the overheat condition I described, which will quickly cause the battery to shut down.
                    At this point I don't have enough info to make a suggestion. If you have only used the batts as decribed above and they have shut down I suggest some work in lighter cutting such as I have described or use the batts in the drill. If they continue to shut down return the entire set to HD if less than 90 days old or follow the procedure I outlined in the previous post.
                    Good luck.....Ray

Comment

thank you

Comment

Someone asked about quality of the RIDGID 24volt lithium batteries.

Well, the RIDGID batteries are most likely lithium manganese which basically means they are good, however, they require a BMS or battery monitoring system to prevent the battery from entering into an unsafe state(fire, explosion and protection from over charge and over discharge).

One more important note on battery quality is the drain rate or what is called the C-rate. This is the discharge rate of the battery. 1C= the amp hour of the battery. For instance, the RIDGID 24volt battery is rated at 3.0amps, if the battery can drain 6 amps, it is rated at 2C. Here is where it gets confusing. You would need a much higher amp hour battery to match a high C-rate battery. For instance, if a battery is capable of only draining at 1C(3 amps), then the battery may cut out, stop working or the BMS will cut power to the battery if the tool is using more than what the battery is capable of delivering. I believe this is why people have had problems with the RIDGID batteries. In other words, if the tool is using 6 amps and the battery is only capable of draining at a max of 3 amps, then we have problems with the issues mentioned above. If this is the problem, this should have been tested in R&D. However, there are many other factors, but to me, this seems to be the case.

I know if I put too much strain on the recip, the battery will drain dead or sometimes it will drain and I have to wait 30 seconds for the battery to recuperated, this testing leads me to believe that the batteries C-rate is too low. At least lower than what the tool is capable of. I am not saying the batteries are bad, rather the lower the C-rate, the cheaper quality battery, which brings us to the best available lithium technology,which is used in the 36volt DEWALT, lithium iron phosphate(LiFePO4). LiFePO4 does not explode and therefore does not require any BMS other than over charge or over discharge protection. Shelf life should be improved as well. LiFePO4 is also capable of high charge rates which allows the battery to charge to 90% capacity is less than 5 minutes. This is extraordinary compared to lithium-ion.
                        I do not own DEWALT and can not speak for battery problems with the tools, only about the battery technology.

Utilizing LiFePO4, DEWALTS batteries are capable of much higher discharge rates(C-rate)as well as charge cycles at about 2000(number of times the battery can be recharged). This technology was developed by A123systems(http://www.a123systems.com/) which is superior to any battery currently in power tools.

I own two sets of the 24 volt line including others as well. They are good for up to medium-heavy duty but not constant heavy duty. Although the tools can most likely handle heavy duty, the batteries can not(unless RIDGID has corrected this because I have batteries from 2006). If using RIDGID toos for the lifetime service agreement, then they can not be beat. If you want more consistent battery behavior, go with LiFePO4.

More detail on C-rate which will help in making a more educated decision on battery purchase.
                        http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-16.htm
                        Last edited by onlycordless; 07-18-2008, 10:21 AM.
                        http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Sounds like you have a tech answer to many of us have questiond why the 24V batteries fail or overheat. I had 2 starter kits do that and stupisly I returned them b/c the HD mgr, said he would get more in, never happened. Now I have a barely useable circ. saw., 24v saw using a 18v battery.

The fact still is that you can not buy the 24V battery starter kit any longer so we are stuck with Maxselect tools that will run at slower speeds with 18v. batteries. Wher is the logic in that?
                          The circ saw in my 8pc. kit is the only tool that is maxselect ,which could use the extra power but instead it is even slower cutting than my 18v Milwaukee. I hate how the circ saw works with the 18v battery, my old Rypbi works better than that. I use the corded Fuego mostly which is a great lightweight saw BTW.
                          The impact driver is an 18v tool and it is the best for power I have used. Actually all the other tools in the kit are very good except for the performance of the circ. saw.
                          Ridgid needs to correct the 24v problem and re-intro the starter kits. The point is we want a HD tool for the cost of the 24V battery, or make a 28V available like the Milwaukee line[which seems to work well] since it seems the motors are different than the 18V ones and could handle the voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                            Sounds like you have a tech answer to many of us have questiond why the 24V batteries fail or overheat.
                            I have read many if not all the posts where people have questioned why they have battery problems. I have had them as well and did some research. I hope I can help others with the info on how to use the tools to prevent shutdown or other problems. However, purchasers should not have to be easy on what is thought to be Heavy Duty tools.
                            http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Working...
                            X