Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about my circular saw and drill...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about my circular saw and drill...

So it's the tilt lok mechanism that they kind of cheaped out on?

All I know is what I read on amazon and internet reviews lol so you guys giving me info like this helps me get a better idea of what these products are really like. Texan is there a circ saw you would recommend over the milwwaukee? Porter cable perhaps? The new brake equipped hitachi?

Comment

tool-newbie

Unless you have big $$$ or buyers for the tools you have now, you may as well use them until the fail you. I've seen it far too many times where trying to sell a good, but used tool ends up with you're having to sell if at much too low a price for you (seller) to be happy.

As for reciprocating saws, I would go with Texan and look at Milwaukee.

Comment

I still say live a little and get a wormer. they last so long that bosch stated in the owners manual switch may need replaced long before the saw.
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

My circ saw has actually never been used, and I bought it when they still came with the lifetime warranty, so I would have no problem selling it for something better. I may lose a bit, but that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is having a product with a known weakness or flaw.. lol

Comment

If you don't mind the weight of it, then go for the Bosch worm drive. They are TUFF.

Comment

lol... thanks but I would be looking for just a simple, good quality circular saw that is the SAME price as the milwaukee, or cheaper lol

I can't seem to find anywhere around that sells the non tilt lok model

Comment

Here is something you might like for your Milwaukee "Magnum" series drill. To rig it up with a super nice side handle, get part 49-15-0200. The collar slides on over the chuck on to the gear case. You can flip it over as needed. Then you screw in the side handle to tighten the collar. Please note that this works on the aluminum gear case models, but not with the older all plastic ones. Only the very early version of this drill had the all plastic (actually very tuff nylon) gear case.

This is something like the side handle used on the 0229, 0300 and 0302 drills only better. It was intended for use with the right angle attachment, but works fine as a little improvement for just the Magnum drills.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the collar the right width for the magnum? It won't hang over to edge?

Why do you find this one better than the one that comes with the drill that threads into the case?

Comment

That one works very well with the 0234 and 0244 drills. What's great is that it's fully adjustable. You can have the side handle at any angle you like. Please see picture below for the general idea. I need to take pictures of it on my 0234 showing why I like it. What comes with the drill is fine, but this to me seems nicer. I'm sure some people will think I'm crazy.

The idea is so you have set the side handle exactly as you like/need it for a given job. I wouldn't go to any trouble trying to obtain this, but if you do happen to order any Milwaukee parts/accessories, it's just something you may like. As for tool cases, for a drill, just look at regular tool boxes. The special cases cost too much for what they are. I personally really hate most plastic cases for reciprocating saws. The steel cases are soooo much better designed and made.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I will keep that in mind!

I actually lucked out for a case, was at my milwaukee tool dealer a few years ago, and he had a brand new plastic case for one of the cordless drills laying around, i offered him 5 bucks and he took it. Had 2 little pieces of heavy duty foam tape, stuck it in 2 spots to hold the drill snug, and it works perfect lol it fits so well that it looks like what the drill should have come with lol

Any suggestions on the circ saw woussko? Or am I being too picky? lol Just kind of bugs me thats there is something about the saw that is chinsy.

Comment

I don't think I was clear, the problem with the tilt lock saw is in the arbor assm, it uses a plastic carriage that causes gear lash and is noisy when it shuts down. This is not necessarily a bad thing just annoying. Milwaukee has never had a lifetime wtty. Their old wtty did not have an expiration but the wtty only covers defects in material and workmanship. Milwaukee is very strict on this and in their view if it is defective it is going to occur within the first year of use. They used to take care of everything but in the last couple of years have really clamped down on it. Currently their wtty is advertised as 5 years but what I said previously still applies. I am with wousko just use what you have it will last for years.

Comment

I have the model 6390-21 Tilt-Lok saw and have used it a good bit without problems. I know contractors that have had good luck with them and one even does cutting of flagstones with a diamond blade in it. Normally he uses it just for wood, but my point is that it can and does get work done. Use the tools you have and make them pay for themselves. As for my Jigsaw, a Bosch 1590EVSK, I really like it, but what really got me to love it, was using Bosch blades in it. There are other good blades made and there's loads of junk blades. The same with reciprocating saw blades. The right blade is the one that does what you need it to do and does it well. Sometimes it really pays to get samples and just try them. Anyone wanting a new tool sometimes can really luck out at estate sales. Someone may buy loads of tools and hardly use them. Check around online dealers as now and then they run specials.

Comment

For the average garage worker or whatever, a Tilt Lok saw will probably be the last circular saw you'll need to buy.

Such quality issues and parts would only come to be an issue or a potential problem over continous day in-day out use.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help guys.

Though I doubt I will be trading my circ saw in, just for my information, what circ saw would you guys recommend buying over the Milwaukee Tilt-Lok circ saw? Something that is just as durable and will last just as long all things being equal. I'm talking about something in the same price range that is commonly available, something you could get at say a Home Depot. One of the big names ie porter cable, dewalt, makita, hitachi etc...

Comment

That's a pretty tough one. The Makita 5007 is a good one. DeWalt makes a couple of good saws. DW368, DW378 are good units.

Probably each brand carries a "can't go wrong" saw. It comes down to what you prefer in ergonomics.

Comment

Working...
                                X