Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about my circular saw and drill...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my circular saw and drill...

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I got the Milwaukee 7.25" 15A Titlt-Lok Circular Saw a while back, haven't used it (it was actually a b-day gift). When I take my finger off the trigger and the blade slows down to a certain point, the saw makes this sounds as if the blade was rubbing on the blade guard or something (which it is not, but that's the only sound I could really equate it to). Not really a grinding sound, but KIND of similar. It sounds like maybe that's just how the saw is made. I took it on to a service centre and they said this was normal.... is that true?

Also, I have the Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooter (0234-6), and was using it kind of as a lathe the other day. I needed to reshape the head of a small screw, so I chucked it in, and ground it down with a file. The drill got fairly warm (i wouldnt say hot), and I was just wondering if this may have damaged the drill at all (since i ran it continuosly for a few mins or so)? I figured it would be ok since it is such a powerful drill. I don't make a hobit of this, just that one instance.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid..... I am really new to power tools, and am really meticulous with my stuff... I want to learn how to prolong their life as long as possible lol

BTW Awesome site!!

Thanks

TN

Re: Questions about my circular saw and drill...

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt you hurt the 0234 drill. Give it a good sniff test with it unplugged and then again with it running. That model has been around a good long time and they are pretty tuff. As for the Tilt-Lok circular saw, they do make some noises when coasting to a stop. Keep listening to it while using it it. It may need some breaking in if it's had little use. Actually what will help that model is to add a bit more type Y grease to the gear case. They normally come with very little grease in them and you only want to add about 1/4 teaspoon if you do, but that does quiet them some. Does it only make this sound when coming to a stop?

Comment

Woussko,

Yes, it's just when it's winding to a stop. It really doesn't bother me, as long as I know that it is normal, and no ill will come of it then it's fine. If you think the saw NEEDS the grease, I may add some, but I would have to buy that Y type grease as all I have is wheel bearing grease, and I really wouldn't know where to put it lol

So what am I sniffing for on the drill? A burning smell? Man I am kind of paranoid now lol I didn't think it would be bad for the drill!!

Update: I took out the drill, sniffed right up againt the exhaust ports.... all I can smell is grease, and same when I was running it full on, not even a tiny hint of anything.... smells like a brand new drill.... and I have a very keen sense of smell lol

TN
      Last edited by tool-newbie; 04-24-2007, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I would say you're fine. The circular saw would take someone that's into tool repair to properly add grease. If it's hardly been used, I would say just use it. I know when I first got mine it kind of had a gear clashing sound when brand new. After some use that more or less went away. If the drill has no burnt smell (you would know it as it really stinks) then you're fine. They will run pretty warm with continued use and that's normal.

Comment

Ok good... phewf! lol

Thanks very much for the replies Woussko! I appreciate your time!!

Comment

woussko is correct, the drill under continued sustained use will get warm even hot but this is normal for that particular drill. The tilt lock saws have a cheap bearing assm in the arbor it creates a lot of gear lash a slight grinding noise on shut down is normal

Comment

Originally posted by tool-newbie View Post
              I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I got the Milwaukee 7.25" 15A Titlt-Lok Circular Saw a while back, haven't used it (it was actually a b-day gift). When I take my finger off the trigger and the blade slows down to a certain point, the saw makes this sounds as if the blade was rubbing on the blade guard or something (which it is not, but that's the only sound I could really equate it to). Not really a grinding sound, but KIND of similar. It sounds like maybe that's just how the saw is made. I took it on to a service centre and they said this was normal.... is that true?
              If you have model # 6394-21, then your unit has an electronic brake that activates when you let go of the trigger - it makes a grinding sound when this happens...
              Last edited by jbergstrom; 04-24-2007, 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling (Newman)
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Thanks for the info Texan186... so that means they use cheap bearings in the saw? Is that true? I mean I have scoured the internet for hours and hours upon end, and this is one of the mostly highly reveiwed 7.25" circular saws around. Will it not last long, or....?

jbergstrom... thanks, I wish I had the model with the brake lol but mine is without

Comment

It's a cheap set up it uses a plastic carriage that has a lot of flex I don't know why they did it that way but in my opinion it was not a bright idea. The bearings themselves are fine they are all ball bearings.

Comment

Milwaukee is just as guilty as anyone else of slipping cheap things into their tools. The whole "Nothing but Heavy Duty" thing is all in the perception. Plus with the well-discussed TTI takeover, it's bound to get only worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                      Milwaukee is just as guilty as anyone else of slipping cheap things into their tools. The whole "Nothing but Heavy Duty" thing is all in the perception. Plus with the well-discussed TTI takeover, it's bound to get only worse.
                      Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!let the buyer beware-now more than ever!!!!!!!!!
                      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

In their cordless world, I've read now in a couple of articles that the V28 hammerdrill seems to smoke itself under load if pushed hard enough. I haven't had any personal experience with this, as I dont have those tools. But it's come up a couple of times now in the reviews, so it makes you wonder.

Comment

Would you guys still recommend their 11 amp (non orbital) sawzalls? I know the overall feel of my new 11 amp model is different than my old 6.5A model, the way the motor sounds, the feel of the rubber etc...

What circular saw would you all recommend in the price range of the milwaukee that would rank higher in quality and performance?

Thanks

Comment

In my opinion there is nothing better than Milwaukee. A milwaukee cir saw without the tilt lok handle would be a better buy unless you need that feature. The Milwaukee rec saws are still the quietest, smoothest and most powerful In my opinion they can't be beat by anything else.

Comment

I'm insane!!!!I like bosch's top handle worm drive circ saw the 1678. Heavy but indestructible!!!!
                              You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X