X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita LS1214FL or Bosch 5412L SCMS?

Now that I returned my Ridgid MS1290LZ, I am looking at other 12" sliders. I am focusing on the Makita and the Bosch. Both look nice. Any opinions on which way to go?

Re: Makita LS1214FL or Bosch 5412L SCMS?

I have the Bosch 4410L and LOVE it. It's exactly the same as the 5412, except for having a 10" blade.

I stayed away from the 12" because of blade wobble fears.

The up-front controls are really nice. The "fit and finish" is really top notch. There's a great review of the 4410, all of which applies to the 5412 in terms of features and what-not, at http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b4410Lrvu.html

I ruled out the Makita for two reasons: The incredibly low fence and the fact that I HATE vertically oriented miter saw handles.

If I had decided to get a 12" SCMS, I absolutely would have gotten the Bosch. Just my two-cents.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts!

The location of the controls, specifically having the miter scale on the right side is one of the reasons I am not sure about the Makita. OTOH, it gets high marks for precision and the direct drive motor. The ability to position the handle on the Bosch where it best suits you is also a plus for it.

Anyone else want to wade in on this one?

Comment

Go for the Dewalt DW718. It will cut 6 1/2" base against the fence. No other saw can touch that. All my carpenter friends own them and love them. The saw is just packed with features. It will probably be my next big tool purchase. Just watch this video and you will be sold.

javascript:window.open('http://www.dewalt.com/adredir.asp?AdID=348%20',%20'virtual_tour',%20 'scrollbars=no,toolbar=no,status=no,width=586,heig ht=374');void(0);

Comment

Sorry link didn't go through. Try this:

http://www.dewalt.com/dwassets/engli...w718/dw718.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NavyBuck View Post
            Thanks for the thoughts!

The location of the controls, specifically having the miter scale on the right side is one of the reasons I am not sure about the Makita. OTOH, it gets high marks for precision and the direct drive motor. The ability to position the handle on the Bosch where it best suits you is also a plus for it.

Anyone else want to wade in on this one?
            I have both the Makita 1013 and the Bosch 4410. The Makita sucks - it has a joke of a fence, shite miter scale, motor is always in the way, flip fence stop broke off the first week I owned it, slide gets saw dust and sticks. It's not a precision motor - makita is saving money by not mounting the motor up high and using a belt drive like everyone else. The Bosch is superior in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by humbletile View Post
              Go for the Dewalt DW718. It will cut 6 1/2" base against the fence. No other saw can touch that. All my carpenter friends own them and love them. The saw is just packed with features. It will probably be my next big tool purchase. Just watch this video and you will be sold.

javascript:window.open('http://www.dewalt.com/adredir.asp?AdID=348%20',%20'virtual_tour',%20'scr ollbars=no,toolbar=no,status=no,width=586,height=3 74');void(0);
              That Dewalt DW718 has a lot of blade deflection. Dewalt went backwards with this one. The old DW708 model had a more stable slide system. It's fine for doing rough framing, but not fine woodwork.

Comment

Any thoughts on the Hitachi? Amazon has a good deal on the pre-digital readout 12" slide right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                  I have both the Makita 1013 and the Bosch 4410. The Makita sucks - it has a joke of a fence, shite miter scale, motor is always in the way, flip fence stop broke off the first week I owned it, slide gets saw dust and sticks. It's not a precision motor - makita is saving money by not mounting the motor up high and using a belt drive like everyone else. The Bosch is superior in every way.
                  I have the 12" Makita and here is what I like about it.

1. Direct drive...no belt to deal with.

2. Smoothest, yet least play, sliding of any saw I reviewed....dual linear ball bearings (equals less blade flex and better accuracy.)

3. Perfect alignment.

4. Laser stays aligned in tilt and is independent of trigger (can turn on without pressing trigger.)

5. Onboard light is very handy.

6. Big/wide base, ie. table (more important to have a big table to rest wood on, IME, than high fence to square against.)

7. Soft start and electronic speed control....never jerky.

By the way, the 12" came with the optional higher fence.

I have no issues with miter scale...easy to read and locks into position perfectly.
                  Last edited by Disaster; 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

The most important feature of a miter saw in my opinion is accuracy. Everything else falls into the nice to have category. The Makita has a long reputation for being one of the best sliders for a a long time now. The slide arms are ultra ridgid and theres no play in them even if you purposely try to twist the handle. I've tried the Dewalt 718 and was amazed at how much I could flex the head unit by just twisting the handle fairly lightly. No wonder I've heard so many comments of deflection on that saw.

Both rails run on linear bearings as opposed to bushing bearing combinations which tend to have a little more slop and faster wear. Gives it a consistant smoothness.

The motor is setup in a hypoid configuration so no maintenance or belt issues to deal with. Only drawback is during certain beveled miter cuts it obstructs the view a little but this is such a minor issue its hardly worth noting. It has a nice soft start feature and is extremely silent. I really can't emphasize enough how silent the saw runs.

The turntable is HUGE. This is a pretty big deal because it gives the workpiece a lot stability. Particularly with very wide pieces. The tiny tables with the narrow elongated piece towards the handle end end on other saws hardly seem adequate after working with the Makita. The sideways mounted miter scale is probably a result of the table extending that far forward. A small price to pay for the added advantage of having a large unobstructed table up front. While not as convenient as a front mounted scale I've never had any real inconvenience with it. I don't set the miter scale with the work piece sitting on the table anyway.

The fence on the 12" model includes the full height extention so thats not a problem. On the 10" model its on the low side towards the right but its sold as an aftermarket part to extend it. Its less of a problem on the 10" because the cutting height isn't that high anyway but it would still be nice if the included the extention as standard.

It comes with a headmounted fully adjustable laser unit. Lasers on most saws are a gimmick. Particularly the arbor mounted ones which are useless since they require the blade to be spinning and are not adjustable, usually off by 1/16" to 1/8". They are NEVER true to the blade with no exceptions. The Makita has a fully independantly powered laser with a complete range of adjustablity. That moves it away from being a useless gimmick and into the category of a highly usefull precision instrument. It can also be slid side to size to mark the beginning of the kerf depending on what side you want to cut off from. The laser can be adjusted to such extreme precision its actually far more accurate than eyeballing the blade accross the workpiece. Just line up the red line right next to the pencil line and that exactly where its going to cut and where the slide arm is going to move accross.

One thing to note is that makita's instructions are terrible. They are obviously a translation from a japanese manual by someone who probably speaks english as a third of fourth language. The wording can be confusing and some parts are outright left out. The laser in particular has a lot of undocumented adjustments. You need to lift the sticker up top that says "Laser" and underneath it are two more hex keys to adjust the laser angle and sweep.

The saw also comes from the factory so well calibrated you can just fire it up and start cutting. Nevertheless I still recommend you take the time to prefectly square it out and align the laser to get truly perfect cuts.

The hanle is a vertical type. This is mostly a matter of preference. Some people like horizontal, some like vertical. The Bosch swings to either way but the truth is you just get used to whatever you have. I'm strange. For a fixed miter saw I like the horizontal style but for a slider I like the vertical style since it feels like a drill handle and the pushing motion comes more natural. All things considered the important part is the Makita has a nice ergonomically shaped rubber padded handle which just feels right. That alone makes it better than the squarish hard plastic handles on many other saws.

Finally, and this is very important when it comes down to the realistic final price, it comes with a high quality 70 tooth fine crosscut blade. Not sure about the 12" model if its 70t or 96t. The factory blade cuts pretty much as well as some of the Freud L series crosscut blades I have. Thats a very important thing to consider given that most miter saws bring a junk to average quality blade to fill the space and should be thrown out as soon as possible. Buying a proper high quality blade is expensive and factors into the final cost of what it takes to get the saw to cut at acceptable quality.

The only thing I consider to be a genuine drawback to this saw is the dust collection. Its outright terrible even with a shop vack attached. The dust chute is just to small and obviously added as an after thought. Well over 50% of the dust ends up elsewhere. I like my Ridgid 10" in that respect a lot more. with a shop vac it captures a good 90% of the dust. That said the Bosch saws also get similar complaints of terrible dust collection.
                    Last edited by Velosapien; 04-26-2007, 02:05 PM.

Comment

holy crap, I think you just sold me on the Makita SCMS LOL

Comment

Hmm... somehow I didn't expect it to come out that long. But yeah I wanted to give as accurate of a description as possible from my experience with the saw.

Comment

Thanks for the great review!

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                            The turntable is HUGE. This is a pretty big deal because it gives the workpiece a lot stability. Particularly with very wide pieces. The tiny tables with the narrow elongated piece towards the handle end end on other saws hardly seem adequate after working with the Makita. The sideways mounted miter scale is probably a result of the table extending that far forward. A small price to pay for the added advantage of having a large unobstructed table up front. While not as convenient as a front mounted scale I've never had any real inconvenience with it. I don't set the miter scale with the work piece sitting on the table anyway.
                            Nicely put. You did a much better job of describing the benefits than I did in the list (long was good.)

Your comments on the table is what I meant by "wide base." IMHO, it is way more important to have a big table than a big fence. After all, you rest weight of the wood ON the table. You only square the wood against the fence.

Comment

Well, I ended up getting the Makita, although I felt a strong pull for the Bosch. Boy you weren't kidding about the poor instruction manual! Now I have to figure out how to mount it on my (old style) MSUV. The holes on the saw are parallel front to back, but do not line up with any set of holes on the MSUV. I suppose I can drill the MSUV, make a base out of MDF and mount that to the MSUV or use the MSUV for something else and get the new MSUV with the sliding rails, which should work perfectly with the Makita. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X