X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I request help in locating a tool switch

Before you jump all over me and say toss the tool and buy a new one...
    This "old" craftsman 3/8 variable speed drill belonged to my Father-in-law.
    He recently passed away and my sister-in-law asked me to get the thing operational so she can have it. This is an emotional repair.

The drill is model 315.11450 serial 5141
    according to my sears "cheat sheet" I think this was made by Ryobi/Ryobi motor products -or- Ryan. I suspect around the late 70's

I have done the obvious..I went to the Sears parts website and their part number is 6.607808.00
    but no joy! they of course no longer support this tool and have no parts for it.
    There is no cross reference at Ryobi.

I checked around locally and bought a very close looking switch from a Milwaukee drill. Close but no cigar. I also looked at E-BAY and other sites but again no luck.

Do any of you have any suggestions where to look for a really old variable speed drill switch?

My last resort may be to yank out a dremel tool and sort of make the switch I purchased fit..I mean it is really a close fit..about 0.065 off as a screw hole is in the way.

any help is appreciated

Cactus Man

Re: I request help in locating a tool switch

I have the same tool and the same problem. Did you get a solution?

Comment

This switch is from drill model 315.11380
      Switch [615930-003] - $13.00 at eReplacementParts.com

Does it look like this?
      http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

This is a replacement switch listed by sears

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...C-DRILL&blt=11

Comment

This thread was started about 4 1/2 years ago, I doubt he is still waiting for a response, but you never know!!

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
          This thread was started about 4 1/2 years ago, I doubt he is still waiting for a response, but you never know!!
          LOL... I saw the response date, never even thought to look at the original post date.

Comment

The darn drill is still sitting here by the computer! I actually have kept searching over the years!
            Alphacowboy..nice try and your links are appreciated but the items you refer to do not fit.

Eventually I'll figure out a solution. Maybe do some sort of funky art thing with it and have my
            sister in law hang it in her hallway!

Cactus Man

Comment

Cactus,

I have the same model and still use it on occasions where I want some heft. My 315.11450 still works very well though.

Yes, it was made by Ryobi and my manual is dated "1-77". If this had been my purchase from "way back when" I might well have just sent it to you, but like your sister-in-law, this still holds much sentimental value for me as it was a Christmas gift from my Father-in-law and the first "quality" drill that I ever owned. Pretty decent drill and it has served me very well over the years with it's sizeable motor and all steel gear box. (Ryobi made, right here in the U.S.A.)

The switch is very similar to a some "microswitch" products of the time and I'm wondering if something might be available from some of the electronic suppliers like "Newark" or others. The space within the grip is certainly of a size that some similar switch might be adaptable.

Good luck, and I'm sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

Can one of you post a pic of the switch?

Comment

Here is a picture of the switch from my dad's Craftsman Model No. 315.11380. I ordered the switch from Sears, but I don't think it will work the same. I have a seperate reverse switch, not built-in the actual trigger. I've been on line all over looking for the original trigger... no luck as of yet.

-Good luck
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've been out of town for a month now. The part is here, but I have no diagram on how to hook this new switch up. I'm assuming that the B+ and B- at the bottom of the switch are for the main power wires. I don't think that the nodes off of the top of the switch will help as I still have the fwd/rvs switch is intact. I'll play around to see if I hook it up properly or not. I anyone has a picture of the wiring, or a wiring diagram that would be helpful. The image for the drill on the Sears website sucks.

-John

Comment

Gentlemen, I found the answer. After ordering the wrong "substitution" swithch from Sears Parts Direct (pluth - spit on the floor) I just happen to look at some images of other drills, and volah! The Makita's have the same switch on some of their models. I did a search for the part on toolpartsdirect.com and searched through some schematics. Even better than that there is a guy on Ebay that is selling the switches. Search for "switch for Makita 6302 6303 6402 6403 DP4700 drills" bamm. There it is for about $13! I'm back in business.
                      Attached is a picture of the switch, and a pdf of the schematic on how to hook it back up!
                      Rock on!
                      Attached Files

Comment

My sad story mirrors about everything in this thread. Maybe mine is different (SN6528C), but the pictured Makita switch will not fit. The black hanging down part of the switch is not on my original switch. I possibly might modify the switch and grip housing but am not quite I'm ready to do that. My drill is metal except at the very rear... The brush housing and grip. I really love the drill but the right half of the plastic grip will break if it binds and snaps backward under heavy load. I bought several replacements 20+ years ago. The last time the grip broke the drill got away from me pulling the wires out of the switch breaking the switch housing. I couldn't find all of the switch parts or I would have tried glueing it back together. I might try dis-assembling the new switch and re-assembling a hybred. --- I tried to get Sears to correct their parts info, but their responce was that they have sold many of the switch that would not fit for that drill... ?!!#!... Anyway, Im still looking.

Comment

Working...
                        X