X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I request help in locating a tool switch

Before you jump all over me and say toss the tool and buy a new one...
    This "old" craftsman 3/8 variable speed drill belonged to my Father-in-law.
    He recently passed away and my sister-in-law asked me to get the thing operational so she can have it. This is an emotional repair.

The drill is model 315.11450 serial 5141
    according to my sears "cheat sheet" I think this was made by Ryobi/Ryobi motor products -or- Ryan. I suspect around the late 70's

I have done the obvious..I went to the Sears parts website and their part number is 6.607808.00
    but no joy! they of course no longer support this tool and have no parts for it.
    There is no cross reference at Ryobi.

I checked around locally and bought a very close looking switch from a Milwaukee drill. Close but no cigar. I also looked at E-BAY and other sites but again no luck.

Do any of you have any suggestions where to look for a really old variable speed drill switch?

My last resort may be to yank out a dremel tool and sort of make the switch I purchased fit..I mean it is really a close fit..about 0.065 off as a screw hole is in the way.

any help is appreciated

Cactus Man

Re: I request help in locating a tool switch

People better not jump on you and say to throw it out. There are many tool collectors that understand how some tools become like members of your family and that you really, really want to bring new life to that tool. I wonder if the Ryobi forum might be a place to try. Does the OE trigger switch have any readable numbers or such on it? You'll need the replacement to be electrically compatable with the motor.
    Last edited by Woussko; 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Cactusman,

Small world or what... I have this exact same model (sn# C7057), which I purchased on Dec 1, 1978, for $50. This was my first, and up to three years ago, the only variable speed drill I've owned. Can't count the projects that this thing has done. It's proved to be very reliable and it's still my favorite drill.

It was made by Ryobi, but at that time I think Ryobi was a Japanese company and if I'm not mistaken my drill was made in the U.S.A. (I'll have to check when I return to the house this Sunday.)

I presume you have the manual, but if you don't I would be glad to send you a PDF of mine. If you don't have any identification on the switch itself, let me know between now and Saturday afternoon and I'll pop some screws and see if I can identify the switch in mine and let you know when I return in about a week.

Good drill and I understand the sentiments, so I hope I can help,

CWS

Comment

Ryobi used to be in Japan before the evil hogs of TTI took them over.

Comment

The only idea I have would be to maybe check out some pawn shops and flea markets... You may get lucky and find an old twin that you can cannibalize for parts...
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

try puting a post in here http://www.owwm.com/ they might be able to send you in the right dierction
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Pull the swith take it to a decent repair center and they should be able to match it. A long time ago there were only a few switch manufacturers so most tools used similar switches. It being variable will make it a lot harder but an on-off switch should be easy to find if you cant find the correct one.

Comment

Thanks for the good input.

By the way I too had the same drill until 1995. Mine needed a new plastic handle side as I no longer had anything the epoxy to hold on to. Again Sears failed to support the drill with parts!

My buddy who got married gave it to me for walking down the aisle at his wedding...instead of a pen or cuff links. I asked him why? and he told me because he knew if he ever needed a drill at three in the morning, I would have one!

Anyway, I'll look at the Ryobi line and locate their website of parts to see if any tool has a switch that looks close.
                Here in Phoenix metro there is little in tool repair shops that will even look at a drill this old.

The original switch has cracked plastic and the contacts for the wires are broken/loose. I have tried all sorts of ways to try and save the switch but there is just not enough there.

Comment

Is it possible for you to put a pictur on here? someone may recognize it.

Comment

If you put a picture up,i might be able to help.
                    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Working...
                    X