Battery isnt recognized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery isnt recognized

I have 2 Ridgid 18V MaxHC batteries. One will take a charge with no problem. The other will not. I put the good one on the charger and the red light stays on but it never gets to the flashing green. The other one does fine. At first it looked like there was a problem with the battery not making contact, so I did some shaving and now it feels like it makes contact but I still cant get it to charge.

Any ideas other than to bring the bad one back?

Re: Battery isnt recognized

If the battery is totally dead (0 volts) I have heard that you can 'jump start' the dead one by connecting a good one to it, + to + and - to -. All you need to do is set the bias charge so the charger recognizes the battery.
    It could also be that the internal fuse link in the battery is open, if that is the case the battery is done unless the link is replaced

Comment

Re: Battery isnt recognized

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post
      I have 2 Ridgid 18V MaxHC batteries. One will take a charge with no problem. The other will not. I put the good one on the charger and the red light stays on but it never gets to the flashing green. The other one does fine. At first it looked like there was a problem with the battery not making contact, so I did some shaving and now it feels like it makes contact but I still cant get it to charge.

Any ideas other than to bring the bad one back?
      If the light goes on it means the charger thinks the battery is OK. It IS trying to charge it. There are a couple reasons it might not be going green, a bad cell or bad thermistor. Try taking the battery off every 15 minutes and measuring the voltage across the leads. See if it is taking a charge. If not, you probably have a bad cell. If it takes a charge but never registers as done you might have bad feedback on the thermistor. That would allow it to overcharge the cell and ruin the pac. Either way you are probably talking about a repair.

Comment

Working...
      X