Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24v Cordless vs Corded

Originally posted by Akita View Post
    I have the power augers from forestry supply. I have a 3" and a 5". They have 1/2 shanks. It is fun digging holes w/ a drill!!!!http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?mi=6853
    Those look really nice....and expensive. Probably a lot better quality than the one I bought at HD for $25. It works great, till you hit a rock or tree root. Then it either bounces off, or wedges to the side...can be nasty to get it back out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
      contrary to the ridiculous marketing claims like "2400W" that you see (which is not even possible anyway on a 15A circuit)

yes it is and this is how,
      the motor may not make that but though the gears witch increases the touqe witch in turn can devolope that 2400 watts of power at the blade. but the motor may only make 1500watts at peak power.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
        Those look really nice....and expensive. Probably a lot better quality than the one I bought at HD for $25. It works great, till you hit a rock or tree root. Then it either bounces off, or wedges to the side...can be nasty to get it back out.
        I have bent the hound dog brand augers available at home depot w/ my 1663-20 spade handle drill. The power augers bought at forestry supply seem indestructible.
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

you are joking right??

Gearing a motor down does NOT increase the power output! It is physically impossible to have the energy delivered at the output of a saw higher than the energy going into the saw!! What you are describing is creating energy, which is not possible.

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
          yes it is and this is how,
          the motor may not make that but though the gears witch increases the touqe witch in turn can devolope that 2400 watts of power at the blade. but the motor may only make 1500watts at peak power.

Comment

Sceeter, I think he is talking bout increasing torque;for example, a triple geared 0-450 rpm drill makes more torque than a 0-850 double geared drill. However if both have 7.0 amp motors-both motors will make in around 770 watts but the lower geared drill will make more power.

Comment

But Sceeter you are right a motor is rated at what it is rated regardless of what gearing is used w/ it.

Comment

I think everyone is forgetting something called "Instanious Peak Power" which is how they can say that a motor run on a 120 Volt 15 Amp. circuit can produce some insane horsepower level. You can pull far more than 15 Amps. on that circuit for just a few seconds. The motor can stand it just long enough to get a measurement. This same BS goes on with car and light truck engines. In real life you don't dare try to even pull 1/2 the power they claim. A big tuff man in prime condition can produce over 1 horse power, but soon his heart goes KaBoom or if lucky he pases out. It would be great if some private testing lab would take power tools and run some serious "Real Life" tests on them. If they blow up a few of them, they need to post notes of what the tool did and for how long before it blew up.

When it comes to the Corded VS Cordless, there are some pretty amazing cordless tools, but there's just no way (yet) to have the stamina of corded. I really think there's a place out there for some small engine driven power tools where the engine would replace the battery pack and motor. Here are a few examples, but I really want to see more. These would be for outdoor use only.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?...ry=ENGINEDRILL
                http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.a...egory=QUIKVENT
                http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/..._Code=TED-262R
                http://www.stihlusa.com/construction/whybuy.html
                http://www.stihlusa.com/augersdrills/BT45_drill.html
                http://www.stihlusa.com/augersdrills/BT45_auger.html (Just what Akita ordered)
                Last edited by Woussko; 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

When wood magazine tested 12 volt drills around the year 2000. The torque rating they got matched the manufacturers but it was peak torque(makita and dewalt had 288 " lb ratings wood got almost indentical results). Rating was good for a few seconds or drill motor blew smoke and fryed. Wood said only use drill to 80% of it's rating. They even had a chart that stated how torque was needed to turm a 1 1/2 " forsener bit, a 2" holew saw etc.

Comment

skeeter w wheels

You are talking about a measurment that I am unfamiliar with. How do you measure the output "wattage" of a motor? I have never heard of this and am curious about how it is done as it would give me another diagnostic tool to use.

Comment

Okay but think about what you said. The power is 770 watts and is the same in both cases, regardless of the gearing. That is perfectly correct to say that. By changing the gear ratio from 850RPM to 400RPM, all you did was increase the torque at the expense of reducing the speed. But you did not increase the power output at all. The power stays the same because as the torque goes UP, the speed goes DOWN.

If you increase the torque AND the speed then you increase the power.

Torque is not power. Remember a stalled drill is doing no work. It's sure wrenching your wrists, but it's not accomplishing anything...

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                      Sceeter, I think he is talking bout increasing torque;for example, a triple geared 0-450 rpm drill makes more torque than a 0-850 double geared drill. However if both have 7.0 amp motors-both motors will make in around 770 watts but the lower geared drill will make more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                        Okay but think about what you said. The power is 770 watts and is the same in both cases, regardless of the gearing. That is perfectly correct to say that. By changing the gear ratio from 850RPM to 400RPM, all you did was increase the torque at the expense of reducing the speed. But you did not increase the power output at all. The power stays the same because as the torque goes UP, the speed goes DOWN.

If you increase the torque AND the speed then you increase the power.

Torque is not power. Remember a stalled drill is doing no work. It's sure wrenching your wrists, but it's not accomplishing anything...
                        Yeah your right Sceeter!!!!!Horsepower is torque x speed =so they would both have the same horsepower. One would have more torque but less speed and the other drill would have more spedd but less torque. Horsepower would be the same!!!!

Comment

Beat me to it but yes, increasing torque does not increase power. It comes at the expense of speed. Both factors need to increase for power to increase. If gearing things down increased power, the energy generation problems of the world would have been solved.

Comment

sceeter w wheels

The actual maximum power output to the chuck of your drill or the blade of your saw could end up being only 2/3 the actual input power based on amps X volts. 7A gives you 840W at 120V. But the actual power output could only be 560W.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately in a thread like this i have a hard time following who is answering who.
                            The above reference is what got me confused and is the reason I was asking if you are able to measure the output watts of a tool

Comment

Texan, He was talking about motor effiency. My 1663-20 7 amp spade handle drill puts out 770 watts(according to milwaukee)while the Dw 130 7 amp spade handle drill puts out 580 watts(according to DeWalt). Manufacturer rate the output watts;I am unsure if there is a way the customer can.Output watts vary(even if rated at trhe same amps) due to motor build quality. Maybe Woussko or Sceeter can delve into it more. Hope this helps Texan if not maybe Sceeter can clarify. Sorry if I answered when you ask Sceeter. Thought I could help.

Comment

The output watts of a rotational tool like a drill or a saw is measured with a dynamometer, which is just an instrument for measuring rotational power. Same sort of thing they use to measure car engine power, only on a much smaller scale, obviously.

The dynamometer gradually applies increasing torque to the spindle and the power is calculated based on the current RPM and torque and is read out on a display. As you gradually increase the torque, the power readout will approach a maximum value, and then the power will start to decline as the torque is increased past that point. That peak power readout is the "maximum watts out" or "UWO" as DeWalt calls it.

Originally posted by texan168 View Post
                                sceeter w wheels

The actual maximum power output to the chuck of your drill or the blade of your saw could end up being only 2/3 the actual input power based on amps X volts. 7A gives you 840W at 120V. But the actual power output could only be 560W.
                                unfortunately in a thread like this i have a hard time following who is answering who.
                                The above reference is what got me confused and is the reason I was asking if you are able to measure the output watts of a tool[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X