24v Cordless vs Corded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24v Cordless vs Corded

I'm going to say that someone like myself, I might get 100 Watt Hours for awhile but no way am I going to claim that I can fully recharge a 18 or higher Volt battery in an hour and keep it up. The idea was just to have a little fun and do something worthwhile while grunting and groaning away on the exercise bike.

Part 2: Add generator to a Treadmill. LOL

Actually both of the above have been done. How many of you have seen regular bicycles with little generators (tire driven) for the head and tail lights. The faster you go the brighter the lights get. On some they have a big capacitor for when you have to stop for a few seconds.

I want to see a really well designed "Nothing Held Back" Hybrid city bus. The ones in my area don't have near enough battery capacity. - Listen to the engine and you can tell.

Comment

That's pretty amazing! Basically one of these super atheletes can perform like a powertool for brief periods of time.

For a circular saw, you're cutting for a few seconds when you're crosscutting a 2x4 or whatever. So basically one of these dudes is a human circular saw! wow!

LOL

As far as charging though I doubt it would be practical for a construction worker to stop for an hour and pedal on a bike to charge up the batteries. But, like Woussko is saying, maybe if all the exercise bike manufacturers secretly pumped the power back on to the grid then we may be on to something here.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
      I actually happen to know this (I'm not kidding). A professional cyclist (someone like Lance Armstrong) can burst up to almost 1000 watts at the pedals and can sustain about 500 watts for extended efforts of a few minutes. For a period of hours at a time a very fit person can continuosly sustain about 200-250 watts. So do the math The Dewalt 18v 1 hour charger draws about 220 watts so in theory assuming little or no energy is lost attaching a generator to my bike I should be able to just about exacly charge my 18v batteries in an hour.

Comment

Pumping out 240 watts continuosly for one hour is one hell of a workout!

Actually I saw on CNN some gym, I think in Japan, which made all custom equipment such as treadmills and stationary bikes to generate electricity to power/supplement all the lights and electricity in the place. So it already is being done somewhere in the world.

Comment

http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.ph...tters08-16#ACL

Here are some profiles for professionals. Some of these guyes can peak at 1900-2200 watts! Hows that for more powerfull than a circular saw. Even if its only for 5 seconds at a time .
          Last edited by Velosapien; 05-09-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Maybe we can try it more this way. A good draft (heavy work) horse can pull on a rope and pulley system so that the horse walks along for one minute and raises 330 pounds up 100 feet. This is something that the horse can keep up with for 15 minutes without trouble. In the same type of test it was figured that the average 180 pound adult man in good shape can do the same amount of work the horse does in one minute, but he needs 10 minutes. Example: Walk 1000 feet and lift the 330 pounds up 100 feet. There have been a few "Monster Men" that were claimed to be able to do 330 pounds up 50 feet in 30 seconds, but they couldn't keep on doing it. One big grunting and then they needed rest. Needless to say everyone is different and the same for horses. The horse tests were done using several good horses and averaging the results. With that in mind then 1 Horse Power of work is 33,000 Foot Pounds / minute. There has been some posting about what is called a "Mine Pony" doing about 2/3 that much work.

I think for most of us, we could just figure a way to have a little fun and charge batteries doing it. No way am I going to try to replace the 120 Volt AC chargers for now.

Hmmm: How about doing something wild with our car or light truck where when going downhill ... Nevermind as here comes the $$$ problem. Time I go back in my Woussko Hut and sleep some more.
            Last edited by Woussko; 05-09-2007, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Of course we're just joking around!

But just remember if DeWalt or anyone else comes out with an exerce bike battery charger, then we get claim royalties from all sales. LOL you heard it here first!

Comment

Working...
              X