24v Cordless vs Corded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v Cordless vs Corded

For those of you who have been using the 24v tools, does anyone have any thoughts on how they compare to their corded equivalent. I have been using the 24v recip saw and it's been working great. However, I have not had much experience using a corded version, so I have no basis for comparison.
    I was just curious if it made sense to buy a really good cordless drill/driver/hammer and impact driver, and then buy the remaining tools (recip, circular, etc) in the corded version. Not sure how the features, power, etc. would compare.

Re: 24v Cordless vs Corded

There's a saying you can't beat 110(as in volts). Never tried a 24 volter but my Milwaukee lok tor 18 volt ni cad is no match for my makita 6302H 0-550 cored(6.5 amps). Thery can do similar jobs but the Makita does it faster -it doesn't bog sdown as much under heavy loads). Remember a universal will keep drawing more and more power(amps) to prevent stall. 110 volts from the wall can keep up the current(up to 15-20amps) where a battery is limited. And if you work a cordless too hard and draw heavy on the battery-goodbye battery.
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
      There's a saying you can't beat 110(as in volts). Never tried a 24 volter but my Milwaukee lok tor 18 volt ni cad is no match for my makita 6302H 0-550 cored(6.5 amps).
      The 24 volt stuff is good, but like Akita says, it can't match the power coming out of an outlet. I'd guess the battery pack could deliver 20...maybe 30 amps, for short periods. At 24 volts that is 720 Watts. Most corded tools can draw 6.5-7 amps. At 110 volts that is about the same. But they can do it constantly, without sagging a battery. They also run more efficiently at the higher voltage so they deliver more power.

Comment

Universal motors are terribly inefficient though which is why they keep giving your the ratings in AMPS because they don't want you to realize that there are significant losses through the motor that would detract from the "manliness" of the number which is bad for marketing.

The actual maximum power output to the chuck of your drill or the blade of your saw could end up being only 2/3 the actual input power based on amps X volts. 7A gives you 840W at 120V. But the actual power output could only be 560W.

Comment

Just to expand on what has already been said, an 18v drill when locked up will spike at about 70 amps, and generally the switch bears the brunt of it. That is why in my opinion Ridgid is haveing such a hard time with their switches I don't think they were disigned with this in mind. I have only seen the numbers on the 18v but I am sure the 24v would spike even higher, watts and amps are a poor indicator of power as the only thing that tells you is how much electricity you are useing. Sustained tourqe is about the only reliable guage of power that can be used that I know of. hands down corded tools have more of it. but you can't beat the conveniance of a cordless tool if used on a daily basis.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I haven't spent anytime comparing prices, I was just curious as to what the best approach is in purchasing these tools. I guess price would be a factor. I definitely love the convenience of the cordless tools, but if performance is sub-standard, maybe it would make sense to just purchase the corded versions.

I just trimmed some tree limbs this weekend using the 24v recip saw with a Skil Ugly Pruning blade and I loved the freedom to walk around my property with this tool and not worry about the cord. But I could see how this would be an issue when you demo a house for remodel.

Comment

I have to agree with the other posts here Brian. Cordless tools are great for most things, but when you need more power, nothing compares to a corded tools. Cordless tools provide more convenience than corded tools. I use both, but for the most part, my 24V cordless tools handle most of the jobs I tackle without a problem. Like I said, the cordless tools are more convenient especially when I am working on a jobsite that has no power. It's also nice to just grab the tool and go...no need to untangle extension cords! I have noticed that most manufacturers fall short in the circular saw department though. Seems like cordless circular saws just don't have what it takes to tackle a big job. Dont get me wrong, my Ridgid 24V does better than my Craftsman 19.2v or my older Dewalt 18V circular saws...BUT NONE OF THEM COULD REPLACE MY CORDED CIRCULAR SAW! I think you just have to figure out what you will be doing with the cordless tools and weigh the pros and cons. Hope that helps!
              Nick

Comment

I would totally agree. Not being in the construction business, what do most contractors use onsite? I assume a combination of both corded and cordless. From just my observation, I seem to see allot of cordless tools, mostly drills and impact drivers. Of course, if it's a workworking job, I have seen allot of corded tools, like a circular saws, jigsaws, etc. I guess I'm really trying to justify my purchase of my 24v kit.
                Last edited by brianss; 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Brianss,I use my Milwaukee 18volt Hachet w/ a Skil ugly blade to prune. It is nice not having to worry about a cord.

Comment

120v tools still have more grunt than cordless. Not to mention they can also sustain high workloads without having to worry about battery drain or drop off. You still need to see what corded tool you are comparing to. Cordless power tools have increased rather dramatically in power lately to the point they can actually outperform cheaper low end corded tools. High power cordless drills (28v/36v) in particular have pretty much caught up to corded ones and the best 18v cordless ones are right on the heels of good corded models. Their are some tests that even claim high power cordless reciprocating saws outperforming corded models. Other tools like circular saws still have quite a way to go. Circular saws are pretty darned power hungry. Nevertheless there are now some highly capable cordless saws which are a huge improvement. In the end it really depends on what your demands are. If you will not be doing excessively heavy work and a cordless tool can effectively perform the task you will not get much if any benefit from going to a corded tool. The convenience of not fumbling with a cord is far more practical many times. For a lot of the work I do I find cordless tools are perfectly suited to job and I don't bring out the corded ones unless its some really tasking work.

Comment

A good example of using corded over cordless is when I needed to drill out a tree stump w/ a 1" auger bit. My 18 volt Lok tor struggled and started to smell of electric(I promptly stopped). I drilled the stump out w/ a Milwaukee 1663-20 spade handle drill(even this 7 amp triple geared powerhouse drilled at about half of it's rated 450rpm-it worked hard).

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                        A good example of using corded over cordless is when I needed to drill out a tree stump w/ a 1" auger bit. My 18 volt Lok tor struggled and started to smell of electric(I promptly stopped). I drilled the stump out w/ a Milwaukee 1663-20 spade handle drill(even this 7 amp triple geared powerhouse drilled at about half of it's rated 450rpm-it worked hard).
                        I'll use an 4" auger bit to drill flower bulb holes. If I'm doing more than 20 holes I roll out the extension cord.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                          Thanks for the insight. I haven't spent anytime comparing prices, I was just curious as to what the best approach is in purchasing these tools. I guess price would be a factor. I definitely love the convenience of the cordless tools, but if performance is sub-standard, maybe it would make sense to just purchase the corded versions.

I just trimmed some tree limbs this weekend using the 24v recip saw with a Skil Ugly Pruning blade and I loved the freedom to walk around my property with this tool and not worry about the cord. But I could see how this would be an issue when you demo a house for remodel.
                          It is hard to beat the kit prices. If you calculate what you actually spend on a kit, per tool, you will be amazed. Take, for example the 24 volt kit for $370. It comes with Drill, Circular Saw, Reciprocating Saw, Flashlight, Two Batteries and Charger. The individual tools sell for $130. The battery kit is $200. It would be $590 if you bought them separately and you wouldn't get the nifty flashlight. :-) In fact, it works out to closer to $70 per tool and $160 for the charger and a pair of batteries.

I used the reciprocating saw to cut apart a tree that was 18" around. I used a 9" Ugly blade and cut from both side for the thicker part of the trunk. Worked great.

For big jobs, it makes sense to set up an area and pull out the corded power tools but these are pretty rare for me. I find 95% of the time I do all the hand tool work with cordless.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                            I'll use an 4" auger bit to drill flower bulb holes. If I'm doing more than 20 holes I roll out the extension cord.
                            I have the power augers from forestry supply. I have a 3" and a 5". They have 1/2 shanks. It is fun digging holes w/ a drill!!!!http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?mi=6853

Comment

By the same token, don't believe everything you read in the reviews that might attempt to downplay what cordless saws are up to now vs. each other, and vs. corded models.

Actually the DeWalt 36V circular saw has a very similar maximum power output to a lot of typical corded models. Almost 1000 watts output (at the blade). Their 18V saw is only around 400 watts, to give you an idea of the power increase.

1000 watts output is in the range of a lot of corded circular saws, contrary to the ridiculous marketing claims like "2400W" that you see (which is not even possible anyway on a 15A circuit)

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                              120v tools still have more grunt than cordless. Not to mention they can also sustain high workloads without having to worry about battery drain or drop off. You still need to see what corded tool you are comparing to. Cordless power tools have increased rather dramatically in power lately to the point they can actually outperform cheaper low end corded tools. High power cordless drills (28v/36v) in particular have pretty much caught up to corded ones and the best 18v cordless ones are right on the heels of good corded models. Their are some tests that even claim high power cordless reciprocating saws outperforming corded models. Other tools like circular saws still have quite a way to go. Circular saws are pretty darned power hungry. Nevertheless there are now some highly capable cordless saws which are a huge improvement. In the end it really depends on what your demands are. If you will not be doing excessively heavy work and a cordless tool can effectively perform the task you will not get much if any benefit from going to a corded tool. The convenience of not fumbling with a cord is far more practical many times. For a lot of the work I do I find cordless tools are perfectly suited to job and I don't bring out the corded ones unless its some really tasking work.

Comment

Working...
                              X