X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R932 Combo 24v Li-on Worth It?

The HD's in my area have the RIDGID R932 COMBO 24V for $397.

Questions:

1. Does RIDGID make quality cordless tools?

2. Is the R932 a good buy at $397?

3. Are there anny issues I should be concerned about this item?

I look forward to reading your opinions.

Thnaks!

Nick

Re: Ridgid R932 Combo 24v Li-on Worth It?

Had mine about two weeks now...I've had a few minor quirks here and there. (look up my other posts) But I have to say, they seem like quality tools. MUCH MORE SOLID THAN MY CRAFTSMAN OR DEWALT. The drill will break your wrist if you are not careful! SERIOUSLY! It is a powerhouse. The recip saw works great aside from one minor flaw. (see other post) The circular saw works great. Cuts the same to the very end...NO FADING! And the flashlight...well...it lights up the dark? (laughing) Overall, Im glad I bought the set at that price. GOOD DEAL FOR THE MONEY in my humble opinion. Let me know if you want to know any specifics. Hope this helps...
    Nick... (yep...thats my name too)

Comment

Originally posted by MrNick View Post

Questions:

Nick
      1. Ridgid tools are similar to DeWalt and Makita in quality...a step above Black and Decker, Ryobi or Craftsman. On the negative side, they typically run a little heavy compared to the competition and there is less selection.

2. That is a pretty good price for what you get. Compare it to other Lithium kits. Cummins is selling the refurbished kit for $300. IME, the Cummins refurbs are tough to tell from new...sans the warranty.

3. Their have been reports of abysmal service. Some people have been waiting 6 months for a repair. Some Home Depots will replace broken tools...but these seem to be fewer and fewer. Typically, you fill out paperwork at HD, and then your tools goes off to a Ridgid repair center. They don't offer loaners.

Comment

Questions:

I look forward to reading your opinions.

Thnaks!

Nick
        Based on monitoring the posts on this site and reviewing a few comparitive tests they seem to be in the same league with Makita, DeWalt, and Milwauki(sp). Some people think one tool is better or worse than another but over all they hang in there. I have had the R932 for three months now and after an issue with the batteries the set has performed will although I haven't used it much. Early on there was alot of buzz about a battery problem. Many others did the same as me and exchanged their sets at HD. I recently used the recip saw to do a bunch of tree branch trimming. It pretty much ate up the 2-4'" branches I was dealing with without any lugging or using much battery. I have used the drill to screw some big 5" screws into a some smaller holes on a door rehab job and general drilling and screwing throughout the day. It's a heavy dude but the balance is fairly good so it doesn't seem to bad.
        I have the Max select jig saw and as of yeaterday the Impact tool. Both seem well made and the little use so far is ok.
        The lifetime warranty which included the batteries was a big issue with me.

Comment

Gentleman,
          Thanks for taking the time to answer my qeustions. I appreciate the thought you folks put into your replies.
          Again, thanks!
          Nick

Comment

Gentleman,
            Thanks for taking the time to answer my qeustions. I appreciate the thought you folks put into your replies.
            Again, thanks!
            Nick
            Nick-

I'd love to own the R932 set again for the price you can get it for. I'm waiting for the price of them to drop in Canada before I make the plunge again. There are a few issues with the tools, but most of them can be associated with a new product. The only thing I had against the Ridgid 24vs was their weight, pretty heavy compared to the competition.

It looks like Dewalt, Ryobi, and others are clearing out their old 18v Ni-Cad lines to get ready for Li.

Comment

Paladin, don't wait to long, I just got back from HD in the states and they had to bring it in from another store for me, they have been discontinued in the States, so if you want one at that price call down and get it ordered from another store and go pick it up.
              I don't think they will drop the price here in Canada any time soon.

I am happy with mine so far, havn't had any problems.

Safeman

Comment

Originally posted by Safeman View Post
                Paladin, don't wait to long, I just got back from HD in the states and they had to bring it in from another store for me, they have been discontinued in the States, so if you want one at that price call down and get it ordered from another store and go pick it up.

Safeman
                There have been statements in this forum for a couple of months now that the R932 set has been discontinued. I'm starting to wonder if that is one of those rumors that "accidently" leads to greater sales. You know, the quick you've got to get one before they're gone syndrome. I am in our local HD on a fairly regular basis and have seen the R932 sets continue to be stocked on a regular basis, in fact a couple of weeks ago they had a large special displayof those sets. I have never asked any one in HD if the R932 has been discontinued. I have seen the post here several times and just assumed it was true. Has anyone out there received the info directly from a Ridgid rep or customer service?

Comment

Originally posted by Safeman View Post

Safeman
                  Safeman-

I don't think they'll increase the price of them in Canada, so it's a win-win situation. The fact that they've stayed at $699 Cdn is ridiculous. The Milwuakee v28 even dropped to $600 at the HD during this time period.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                    There have been statements in this forum for a couple of months now that the R932 set has been discontinued. I'm starting to wonder if that is one of those rumors that "accidently" leads to greater sales. You know, the quick you've got to get one before they're gone syndrome. I am in our local HD on a fairly regular basis and have seen the R932 sets continue to be stocked on a regular basis, in fact a couple of weeks ago they had a large special displayof those sets. I have never asked any one in HD if the R932 has been discontinued. I have seen the post here several times and just assumed it was true. Has anyone out there received the info directly from a Ridgid rep or customer service?
                    The 4 piece set has definitely been discontinued and was replaced with a 3 piece set that costs nearly as much. The nearest HD to me IS out of the older kit.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                      Well if you dont believe it just check out RIDGIDS discontinued section on their website. HERE

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-X...-Kit/index.htm

And the new replacement 3pc. kit as well. HERE

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R931-24V-XLi-Combo-Kit
                      American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by mcarr184 View Post
                        Well if you dont believe it just check out RIDGIDS discontinued section on their website. HERE

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-X...-Kit/index.htm

And the new replacement 3pc. kit as well. HERE

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R931-24V-XLi-Combo-Kit
                        Thanks for the info mcarr. I was somewhat confused when I followed the first
                        thread back to "discontinued", I did not find the R932. I found that under something called "revision archieve", which also listed a number of other current products. See HERE:http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Revision-Archive/index.htm
                        When I went to you're second link it was promoting a new combo set but made no reference to R932.
                        Soooooooo in an attempt to put closure on this I went to the phone and called my local HD in Auburn, NY. They informed me that the R932 set has indeed been discontinued. They also told me that they have three(3) of the four piece R932 sets left in inventory and that the Niagara Falls store shows seven(7) of the R932 sets left in inventory. Those sets are selling for $397.00 which is the same price as the new three piece sets which is a good deal for people still looking for them. I know HD will do a store transfer within a district. I don't know about longer distances, forgot to ask. It might be worth a call to you're local HD.

Comment

Working...
                        X