• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cordless drill/driver set?

I am looking for buying a Cordless drill/driver

Option 1: Panasonic 14.4V Li-ION Drill/Driver Combo
    Option II – Makita 18V Li Ion Impact driver/ hammer drill Combo
    Option: III – Dewalt ?

My requirement: I am planning to finish my basement and also planning to put a new deck. I have concrete basement. so will do some concrete drilling. I did not find many reviews on Panasonic, but read some good reviews on Makita at Amazon.

Since I will not be buying another drill/driver combo for at least for next 5 years or so, I want to be sure I buy the best one. Cost is not an issue. So what are your suggestions? Does 18 Volt better than 14.4 volt?

Thank you all for your help

Seth
    Last edited by sethramesh; 05-05-2007, 11:54 PM.

Re: Best cordless drill/driver set?

Originally posted by sethramesh View Post
    I am looking for buying a Cordless drill/driver

Option 1: Panasonic 14.4V Li-ION Drill/Driver Combo
    Option II – Makita 18V Li Ion Impact driver/ hammer drill Combo
    Option: III – Dewalt ?

My requirement: I am planning to finish my basement and also planning to put a new deck. I have concrete basement. so will do some concrete drilling. I did not find many reviews on Panasonic, but read some good reviews on Makita at Amazon.

Since I will not be buying another drill/driver combo for at least for next 5 years or so, I want to be sure I buy the best one. Cost is not an issue. So what are your suggestions? Does 18 Volt better than 14.4 volt?

Thank you all for your help

Seth
    If you are going to be drilling in concrete you will want a hammer drill which leaves out the Panasonic 14.4 volt lithium kit.

I've read good reviews of the Makita...especially the impact driver.

The DeWalt hammer drill gets rave reviews, and is generally rated above the Makita, but DeWalt hasn't released lithium batteries for them yet (though they are supposed to be soon.)

If I was looking for a strong set of tools, with a wide selection, I'd go with DeWalt's 18 volt....as soon as I was assured they were releasing compatible lithium batteries.

Comment

I have the makita kit and love it. The impact driver is great and so is the drill they are much lighter they my ridgid 18v drill and seem better balanced. If the Makita kit was out befor the ridgid I would have bought it.

Comment

I'm partial towards makita. IMHO they make the best cordless tools.
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Forgot one more point. You might also consider whether you might supplement these tools in a few years, with a circular saw or something else. Panasonic doesn't have much selection...nothing in 14.4 volt now. Makita's other tools have gotten much worse ratings than their drill and impact driver...for example I've read bad reviews of their reciprocating saw. DeWalt has a wide selection and are generally pretty competitive...no real stinkers that I come to mind.

Comment

I've had a bunch of cordless drills and right now have both the Makita LXT and Dewalt DC925 which I consider to be the overall best 18v drills out right now. Since you're considering those two here's what I've experienced with them:

The DC925 is pretty hands down the best 18v Driver/hammer drill on the market right now. It still doesn't have lithium batteries yet but the truth is even with NiCD batteries and their shorter run time you can get more work done in less time. Don't get me wrong though. Even with/for NiCD batteries the runtime is very good. The Makita's batteries last about 50-70% more but it also takes the drill a lot longer to accomplish hard work. The low gearing is unbearably slow at 300rpm so it takes a while to move a large hole saw for example. The Dewalt can do about the same torque at 450rpm. Lithium batteries are supposed to be comming for Dewalt 18v soon which should make the DC925 even more attractive.

The hammerdrill function on the Makita is a bit weak. Its comparable to other good cordless hammer drills but falls WAY short when compared to the DC925. If you will only need to do light masonry drilling such as block it will do just fine. If you will be drilling into solid poured/reinforced concrete the makita will barely make a dent and I mean that literally. The Makita will barely break into the concrete columns in my apartment. It takes about 3 times longer to do a 3/16" compared to the DC925. All construction around here is done in concrete so thats the primary use all my drills get. The DC925 is simply in a league of its own when it comes to concrete drilling.

Makita cut corners on the chuck. They went with the cheaper Jacobs 5000 instead of carbide reinforced 7000 series (recommended for hammerdrilling). The 5000 tends to slip more when hammering. Dewalt has a superb in house design self tightening chuck.

The Dewalt is heavier by about 1.2 pounds but its one of the best balanced drills out there and that makes a big difference. Almost all of the weight difference is in the batteries though so in theory once the 18v lithium batteries are out the weight should be a lot closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
              Forgot one more point. You might also consider whether you might supplement these tools in a few years, with a circular saw or something else. Panasonic doesn't have much selection...nothing in 14.4 volt now. Makita's other tools have gotten much worse ratings than their drill and impact driver...for example I've read bad reviews of their reciprocating saw. DeWalt has a wide selection and are generally pretty competitive...no real stinkers that I come to mind.
              Makita and Dewalt have the most extensive cordless lineups so they are both good brands to stick to in that respect. Dewalts lineup is currently pretty remarkable in sheer amount of tools offered but Makita is catching up. They just take forever to offer a lot of those tools outside the european and japanese markets.

Comment

The Dewalt 18 Volt cordless series is hands down the most extensive lineup. Most of that line work out pretty well and you can get service and parts. Makita does pretty well but they have some catching up to do. I want to see what they do for a more powerful line of Li-Ion battery tools. They went for a lighter and smaller tool which is nice, but sometimes leaves one wanting more power. Bosch is interesting, but you have to be sure the tools you want all use the same battery and charger or you end up having many battery types. To me it's a matter of figuring what cordless tools you will use and who makes them. In a few years what's out today will seem very out-dated.

Comment

Makita has said they currently have no plans for a higher powered Lithium Ion group but I think its just a matter of time before they do if they want to stay competitive. My guess is once the sales of the 18v line start slowing down they'll release them. That will probably be a while though given the popularity of the LXT line.

Comment

I still like my Ridgid. I have an 18v hammerdrill, an 18v non-hammer drill, the light,jig/circ/recip saw and they have all been fantastic. The drills are heavy though, but I'll take the weight to have the heavy work done better. A light drill is no good if it doesn't work.

My 1st DeWalt (10 years ago...?) was great, the last two were crap so I'm done with DeWalt. I do like the cordless vac.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ridgid.

Comment

I have the makita kit and love it
                      and i would buy it again
                      ________
                      uhwh
                      Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Review of all 18v drills.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...icle&&partID=1

Comment

That's funny - the reviewer must own stock in Dewalt. I had that same Dewalt drill, and it was OK, but I wouldn't place it anywhere near the top of the list. The damn gear selector would always get stuck.

Comment

You have to wonder about some of these reviews and if they're not biased towards certain manufacturers or if they get paid off or something.

But anyway, I've not used the new 18V XRP myself, but based on the testimonials that keep popping up about the drill (talking about the new DC925, not the old DC988 model), it does sound like it's a leader in terms of power in the 18V range. At least from what everybody's saying.

Comment

You work for a magazine that has huge adds for brand X tools. You test and review them and they totally suck. Would you dare to say in your review that they are the worst tools you've ever tested? If you did your boss would blast you full of 25 pounds of rock salt real fast. It's all about the $$$ factor. A reviewer has to say what his MASSA demands and all MASSA cares about is making big $$$. If some other company makes far better tools but refuses to advertise in your publications, they are the one that gets pooped on.

Comment

Working...
                              X