Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.6v Ridgid Screwdriver--is it discontinued?

I've been telling a neighbor of mine to replace his failing DeWalt cordless screwdriver with the Ridgid 9.6v model I own (and like).

But the Ridgid 9.6v screwdrivers are becoming very scarce (at least here in San Diego). Many of my local Home Depots do not have it.

I saw it for $89 in one Home Depot with one of those yellow clearance-style price tags (with the holster). I see it at some HDs in a combo pack with a Ridgid 18v drill.

What's happening? Is this driver being discontinued in favor of a newer version? Maybe a lithium screwdriver?

So many saws, so few fingers...

Re: 9.6v Ridgid Screwdriver--is it discontinued?

They are still plentiful up here in northern CA. It's still on the HD website for $89 with a holster. I got mine with an air nailer combo. I never would of thought of buying it alone although I'm glad it came with the combo since it has replaced my cordless drills.
    Ern

Comment

Tell your neighbor to replace his Dewalt with a Bosch PS20-2 Litheon Pocket Driver - it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the individual tool was discontinued...not so sure about how long it still might be sold as part of a kit. The individual kits were clearance priced at $59 dollars, if I recall.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, and I welcome all responses. I'd really like to hear from one of the Ridgid reps, too.

(I've seen the Bosch, and I'm sure it's a fine tool. But I would not consider it given that it does not have the lifetime service agreement and free replacement batteries.)

Comment

I wouldn't base my purchase decision on Ridgid's shitty so called LSA. Besides it's not an expensive tool purchase so who cares about a hypothetical lifetime warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
              I wouldn't base my purchase decision on Ridgid's shitty so called LSA. Besides it's not an expensive tool purchase so who cares about a hypothetical lifetime warranty?

Well, that would be me. It's a lifetime agreement, and if my tool needs servicing, I'll make sure they honor it. The free batteries alone are enough.

Plus, I really like all of the Ridgid tools I own (in fact, I bought many of them to replace the equivalent Bosch tools). If the choice is a close one, I'll always go with the Ridgid tool for the LSA.

The current screwdriver works great and has a nice feel to it. Further, I've tried the Bosch lithium screwdrivers, and I don't like their ergonomics.

Comment

calm down newman calm down
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC,
                  I like the Bosch lithium drivers. I'm thinking of getting the new Bosch PS40 (when it is released) for my dad since he's not got the grip strength he used to have and he's not too good at taking care of Nicad batteries. I won't tell him how much it cost though, he'll get mad I dropped two hun on a screwdriver. I really like the Ridgid driver though, so much I picked up a right angle impact driver after I broke my right angle drill/drive attachment (my standard impact driver grinded the gears smooth... God awful noise it was ).
                  Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                    OSC,
                    I really like the Ridgid driver though, so much I picked up a right angle impact driver after I broke my right angle drill/drive attachment (my standard impact driver grinded the gears smooth... God awful noise it was ).
                    Ern
                    I've never seen a right angle attachment designed for impact. The one you had probably wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee M View Post
                      The current screwdriver works great and has a nice feel to it. Further, I've tried the Bosch lithium screwdrivers, and I don't like their ergonomics.
                      Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                      calm down newman calm down
                      I'll take this.

Have you ever had a PS20-2 in your hand? I have never heard anyone complain about ergonomics with this driver, it's perfect!!! This driver can go from putting on outlet covers, to countersinking 3" screws with a twist of the torque clutch. It rocks!!! You need to get this in your hand.

If you are referring to the PS10-2, then maybe, but it's still not at all bad for a right angle driver.

Blue Skies,
                      Wags
                      Last edited by Skydivewags; 05-14-2007, 02:13 PM.
                      Blue Skies,
                      Wags

Comment

I couldn't agree more. When it comes to ergonomics, you can't beat Bosch, and anyone who says otherwise hasn't used one!
                        I love my Bosch PS20 and can't wait for the PS40 Impactor to come out...

Comment

Oh, and this thing runs forever on one charge...

Comment

The PS40 is available here in SD, it feels just like the PS20, but a little thicker, and heaver, the holster it has would be nice. I would get it, but I am getting a little carried away with my tool purchases lately.
                            Blue Skies,
                            Wags

Comment

Newman, Skydive

If you could only own one, which one PS40 or PS20?

Comment

Working...
                              X