X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for an upgrade

I know most everybody loves their Ridgid tablesaws, (I don't own that one but have used it, nice saw), but I feel the need to upgrade from my little Delta to a "big boy" saw. I'm looking for at least 3HP or 5HP if I can afford it. If anyone has real experience with Powermatic, Jet, Grizzly, Steelcity or others, I would love to hear your comments.
    Thanks,
    Jack
    p.s. I would like to keep it below $2500. (WAY below would be better!!!)
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Re: Time for an upgrade

$2500 puts you in the General 350/650, PM2000, and PM66 range. The 650 was rated #1 by Wood, for whatever that's worth, but most owners seem pretty happy with every saw you mentioned. The Steel City is new but seems to be very well received by owners and folks who've seen it....their Orion made Craftsman 22124 has surprised many and their CS is excellent (Steel City owns Orion). Griz has an interesting 12" saw (G0605x) for $1995/$2168 shipped, that looks really interesting to me...might be worth considering too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0605X
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hewood; 05-12-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

If only we knew what RIDGID has up their sleeve with respect to new tools in the near future (next 6 months).

Will they be offering a cabinet saw?
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        If only we knew what RIDGID has up their sleeve with respect to new tools in the near future (next 6 months).

Will they be offering a cabinet saw?

That is an interesting thought. The only downside is that home depot seems to have a phobia against having display models. I'm happy with the Ridgid tools I have and I'm sure a Ridgid cabinet saw would be well thought out with some interesting features.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          $2500 puts you in the General 350/650, PM2000, and PM66 range. The 650 was rated #1 by Wood, for whatever that's worth, but most owners seem pretty happy with every saw you mentioned. The Steel City is new but seems to be very well received by owners and folks who've seen it....their Orion made Craftsman 22124 has surprised many and their CS is excellent (Steel City owns Orion). Griz has an interesting 12" saw (G0605x) for $1995/$2168 shipped, that looks really interesting to me...might be worth considering too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0605X
          Thanks for the input. I've looked at the 12" Grizzly in their catalog but have never put my fingerprints on one. Being able to touch it is a big selling point to me.

Comment

The 12 inch Grizley will cut through 4 x lumber set for 90 degree (no bevel) cuts. Try to do that with a 10 inch table saw. If you need that feature it would make that one well worth looking into.

Comment

As I've been looking around to upgrade the tablesaw, I think I've settled on the SawStop. I like the fact that it may save me some fingers (though I have NO intention of testing it!). The price is way more than I wanted to spend, but it is far less expensive than an emergency room visit. Looked and drooled over one at Woodcraft this last weekend. Feels like a solid machine. Read lots of good reviews. Now I just have to get the C.F.O. to shake loose some funding. Maybe I could get someone to distract her while I go nuts with the credit card...How many soda cans to the recycling center would it take?
              Has anyone here done any work on this saw?

Jack

Comment

Working...
              X