X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Battery??????????

I just purchased a Rigid 14.4 Impact driver (also my first Rigid product) Hey I thought the rigid chargers solved the hot battery problem. Since the battery has air vents I thought this charger it comes with would cool the battery with a fan. Um I hear no fan??? But there is a fan on the twin charger, what gives?

Re: Hot Battery??????????

The fan in the twin charger is not for the batteries it is for the circuits in the charger, the 14.4 charger does not have a fan I assume the engineers figured it does not need one. The vents in the batteries while giving some air circulation are mainly for out gassing of an overheated cell.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I guess hot battery situations are here to stay!

Comment

AC470011 RapidMax™ Twin Charger
        Features
        Dual charger – charges two batteries simultaneously
        Fan cooling – blows cool air through the battery to increase the speed of charging on hot batteries
        Charges all RIDGID® NiCd batteries – charges all battery voltages from 9.6 to 18
        LED diagnostics – indicates cold, hot, deeply discharged and damaged packs

Comment

Newman

I have had the chargers apart as well as the batteries. I don't see how that fan is going to cool anything but the charging circuit no matter what they advertise.

Comment

Perhaps it's just a sales pitch...

Comment

Have one of the dual chargers and when it has the batteries in it their is air coming out of the vent holes in the batteries

Comment

Someone posted a while ago that they actually got shorter charging times with the dual port charger, with fan, than with the single port. If I recall, they also suspected the batteries took a greater charge and ran longer.

Bosch took it one step further. They have a heatsink built into their "BlueCore" batteries that helps cool them during charging.

Comment

I've got a few of those BLUECORE 18V batteries and the dual charger - they kick a$$

Comment

I always thought that's a great idea that Bosch had. I think their Litheon batteries are supposed to use the same idea.

That being said, between 18V and 36V I've noticed a remarkable difference in battery temperature.

I've done some pretty hard tasks, including a chewing through the 4' length of a 2 1/2" stack of OSB with my DeWalt circular saw, and did this a few times, and the battery was still cool!

The difference of having a higher voltage makes a big difference in battery heat especially for the current/voltage reasons were talking about before.

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                    Someone posted a while ago that they actually got shorter charging times with the dual port charger, with fan, than with the single port. If I recall, they also suspected the batteries took a greater charge and ran longer.

Bosch took it one step further. They have a heatsink built into their "BlueCore" batteries that helps cool them during charging.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                      I always thought that's a great idea that Bosch had.
                      I'm curious how much weight it adds to the batteries. Heat sinks generally are not light and they need to connect to all the cells.

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                      That being said, between 18V and 36V I've noticed a remarkable difference in battery temperature.

The difference of having a higher voltage makes a big difference in battery heat especially for the current/voltage reasons were talking about before.
                      Yeah, the 36 volt will draw half the current of the 18 volt at the same load...even a bit less than half because of the improved efficiency at the higher voltage.

Comment

Hmm that's a good question. I'm wondering if they have integrated the heatsink part into the conductor strips that connect the cells together. That's what it kind of looks like from the picture. Or maybe they're just tubes between the cells that create a large surface area of metal. The plastic case isn't really an ideal for heat esacpe, but it's probably good enough.

The rest of the 36V Litheon tools are supposed to be due out soon. They've had the drill/hammerdrills and SDS hammer out for a long time, but seem to have been really delaying on the circular and recip saws. The Litheon battery seems to have an actual exposed heatsink with fins on it. I thought too that their charger blows air over those fins too, but could be mistaken on that.

DeWalt's 36V battery is totally sealed and there's no heat conductor or air passage whatsoever. Neither is V28 or V18. Totally sealed batteries.

Comment

The 18V 2.4 Amp Hour BLUECORE™ Battery is 2.6lbs. and the 18V 2.4 Amp Hour standard Battery is 2.4lbs.

Each new Bosch BlueCore NiCad battery — 9.6, 12, 14.4, 18 and 24 volt — integrates advanced cooling rods positioned between the pack's individual cells. While other batteries would normally build up hot spots, which speed up chemical breakdown, slow the recharging process and eventually damage individual cells, the BlueCore cooling rods absorb the heat to dissipate it away from the cells. This keeps the battery cool and functioning at optimal levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                            The 18V 2.4 Amp Hour BLUECORE™ Battery is 2.6lbs. and the 18V 2.4 Amp Hour standard Battery is 2.4lbs.
                            Not a bad tradeoff if it works well. I didn't even realize they still made a "standard" battery. Seems odd to advertise a technology as a huge improvement and then not put it across the Bosch lineup. They could save the regular batteries for their cheap Skil line.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                              Not a bad tradeoff if it works well. I didn't even realize they still made a "standard" battery. Seems odd to advertise a technology as a huge improvement and then not put it across the Bosch lineup. They could save the regular batteries for their cheap Skil line.
                              All the new tools come with the Bluecore batteries.

Comment

Working...
                              X