Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the TS3650

I am fairly new to the Ridgid name.
    I bought a shop vac a few years ago but, until recently, I did not own any other Ridgid products.
    All that changed this spring however. I have a cordless Milwaukee 18V bag of tools. I use them only on occasion and I have had battery issues since they were a year old.
    Well, I was planning to start work on my son's playground only to discover that one battery was dead(again) and the other was weak.

While deciding the fate of the bag 0 tools, I bought a Ridgid corded drill to do the work on the playground.
    Have to say that I was impressed. And when I heard about the lifetime warranty, that was all I needed to hear. The Milwaukee set is going up on Craigslist and I bought the 18v cordless Ridgid set.

The set seems to work well...and all registration has been sent for both the cordless set and the corded drill. (For the Lifetime warranty)

Now I am looking at purchasing my first serious table saw.
    I have always liked to dabble in projects but things seem to be getting more serious now. (Getting older I guess)
    At first, I thought that I wanted the Bosch 4000-9. I am working in my garage so the space savings would be nice. Plus, the reviews seem VERY good.
    But..after thinking about it more, I know I am not going to be carrying the saw to sites. I am going to be working out of my garage. And I plan to do more in furniture than in structures. So slowly, my mind had shifted over to the TS3650. The bigger table would be a real benefit. I really like the idea that it is more quiet also. And that lifetime warranty just makes it too good to pass up.

Well that is the way that I felt until spending some time in the forums.
    Now I am not sure what to do.

Here are the reasons why.
    First...the idea that the saw table will rust. I live in NC. We have the humidity of a swamp. And this saw will be in my garage. I will not have a project every week. And I do not want to have to spend half my time getting rust off the table. I just got back from HD and the table saw in the store even had rust..and lots of it..on the table. What chance would this thing stand in my garage?

Next....the warranty. A warranty is only as good as the people who back it.
    If the tool has a lifetime warranty ..wonderful.
    If the tool has a lifetime warranty..but is usually in the shop..and when it is,it takes forever to get out..not so good.

Last...the fact that I hear some people talking like the quality of these table saws have dropped since moving production to Taiwan. I want a saw that matches the rep..not living off of it.

I am really hoping for some feedeback on these concerns.
    Maybe, I should go back and look at the contractor style saw again.

Any insight would be wonderful.
    Thanks

Re: Questions about the TS3650

Welcome to the forum - My first thought may be blasphemy to some here, but if space is a big concern, why not look at a hybrid saw? Same table space as a contractor saw, same power and duty range, but the motor is inside and doesn't take up space in the back. The 3650 is nice contractor saw, but alot of hybrids are good saws too, with some advantages in footprint size.

You'll have to weigh out the importance of the warranty to you....most companies only offer 1-5 years. Read the wording of the lifetime service agreement closely to know what that really entails. On the plus side, even a 1 year warranty offers sufficient time for most flaws to show up....reliability studies show that most mechansisms that are going to fail prematurely will do so very early on. If they don't fail early, the odds are excellent that the device will last it's entire expected service cycle....which, for cast iron saws with induction motors, is typically decades with basic maintenance, and possibly a motor rebuild/replacement somewhere along the way.

All the saws I know of anywhere near this price range are made in Asia. The US made saws may have been a bit more overbuilt in a few areas, but the vast majority of Asian saws are pretty decent.

There are several methods of addressing rust effectively. Wood Mag ranked a product called Boeshield T9 as most effective for rust prevention. I like to use T9 followed by a couple of coats of paste wax for max protection.
    Last edited by hewood; 05-14-2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum lottathought.
      I live in Houston which also has a very humid climate and have had one instance where I one day came out and looked at my saw and the top practically matched the Ridgid orange. Mind you I take very good care of it. With the exception of that one instance I wax it each time I us it. To remove the rust I took some WD-40 and a scouring pad to the table and barely scrubbed at all. I then wiped it clean with a soft cloth and added a coat of wax. It took little to no scrubbing to remove the dust. I think if you catch it pretty early on you stand a pretty good chance of removing all the rust with ease. I got lucky.
      Talk about blasphemy, I know that many people here use T9 and / or paste wax, but I have found very good luck using Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Paste Car Wax. I put a coat on after each use and allow it to dry. I then buff it just as I would my car. Before using the saw I make sure I give it a quick rub down. I believe it does contain silicone, but I have not had any trouble with it bothering the wood I've cut. Now does the top still have the showroom shine that it did when I first brought it home? No, but I do plan on buying a fine grit wet sand paper to revitalize the shine at least once a year.
      As for reliability, I think anything you buy today is going to be made overseas. And, despite some, if any, negative comments related to the TS3650 I'm sure they are very few compared to the positive. Obviously I am very bias toward Ridgid tools. However, I am also a big fan of Bosch tools. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck making your decision.
      No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        The way that both of you describe handling the rust helps me a lot in making my decision.
        It is good to know that the rust issue is not as serious or hard to combat as I thought.

Comment

I wish Ridgid would make a hybrid. Its a great design evolution over a contractor saw unless you need to take the motor off alot.

Comment

I've had my 3650 just over a month now... i put 3 coats of paste wax on it when new and I have had no rust issues... Up here in the North, we have a period in the spring where everything that is metal or concrete in the shop is literally covered by a layer of condensation due to them being colder when temps suddenly spike in late april / early may. I usually dread this time of year, it plays hell on my tools... I was prepared this year... Collinite super fleet paste wax (pricy but exceptional on fiberglass) worked wonders on the cast iron... slippery stuff too...

My saw, quality wise is fine for what i paid for it.. quiet, cuts exceptionally well with a quality blade. Fence is pretty good, fairly repeatable and accurate. Table top is fairly flat, not perfect but pretty good, just into the 2 decimal places near the throat cut out... everywhere else if flat. tuning was minimal when i got it together and i continually tweak and verify squareness, parallelism, etc on the blade and fence and such to make sure nothign is moving... Figure if she gives me 5 good years, trouble free i'll be happy and look for a good stationary cabinet saw... until then i am perfectly content with my purchase...

Comment

Originally posted by lottathought View Post
              Thanks guys,
              The way that both of you describe handling the rust helps me a lot in making my decision.
              It is good to know that the rust issue is not as serious or hard to combat as I thought.
              I wish they'd make it with a heavy duty cast aluminum table top and never have to deal with rust. With the right alloy, anodized, it would be plenty tough...and corrosion free. It would cost more but it would be worth it.

Comment

Thanks to all for the input.
                I took the plunge today and bought the 3650.
                It is still in boxes but it is in my garage. I plan to assemble it this weekend.
                I might have eventually found a better saw somewhere in the ballpark on price.
                I suppose however, there comes a time when you realize that at my current skill set, I do not know if I could even fully utilize the full more finely tuned features of a saw at double the price.

Now....I could use a bit more advice.
                I want to do furniture and picture frames.
                What are the top 5 saw blades (brand names) that are not ridiculous expensive and how many teeth should I be looking for?
                (BTW....why are the Ridgid blades more expensive than Freud at HD?)

Comment

Congrats. Glad you got the 3650.
                  As for blades I've got a Frued Ripping blade and 60T that I've been pretty happy with. If memory serves me right they were only about $30 or $40 each. The 60T was a deal cause they we're having a promotion, if you sent the proof of purchase and copy of the receipt they would send you a second blade free. So I got two for the price of one. They've always got some kind of promotion going on so hold out and look for one if you can. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lottathought View Post
                    ... What are the top 5 saw blades (brand names) that are not ridiculous expensive and how many teeth should I be looking for?
                    (BTW....why are the Ridgid blades more expensive than Freud at HD?)
                    Congrats on the new saw. "Best" is usually a little elusive, and is subjective. A bit of caution when buying on brand name alone...several of the larger manufacturers market multiple lines that have different quality levels...Freud, DeWalt, Delta, and Tenryu come to mind...all offer some top level blades, but also offer entry level stuff...the blades DW and Freud offer at homecenters are typically their entry level. Freud makes the Ridgid Titanium series to similar specs as their Diablo and Avanti lines...entry levels, but are still decent IMO. It's best to get roughly familiar with the different lines so you know the difference....in many cases, it's more important to select the appropiate blade type than the best brand. When in doubt stick with the highest quality even if it costs a bit more....but spending more doesn't always get more, and that's where some research can help.

Freud's top lines are their Industrial series and their Premier series. DW's top lines were their series 40 and series 60, but recently they rebadged them under the Delta name (ie: 35-7657 and 35-7646....both good blades). Other high end names are Ridge Carbide, Forrest, Infinity, Leitz, Everlast, Systimatic, CMT, and Amana to name a few. I'd avoid the cheap stuff from Skil, B&D, Irwin Marathons (but the Irwin Woodworking series by Leitz is very good), Vermont American, Craftsman etc. PC, Bosch, and Hitachi are ok but not top shelf IMHO.

High quality thin kerf blades are a good match for the 3650, though full kerf will work too. The TK's take a narrower bite, which allows faster feedrate (less risk of burning) and strains the motor less. I'm a fan of the 40T Forrest WWII and 40T Ridge Carbide TS2000, but those will run near $80 on sale. The Freud LU88R010 is a terrific 60T blade that's good on many materials up to ~ 1-1/2" thick (~ $45, but is on sale from Amazon for ~ $36 shipped). The Infinity Combomax is another excellent 50T combo blade (~ $65). It's always a good idea to keep a decent 24T ripping blade around for bulk work and thick materials. You may or may not need an 80T crosscut/plywood blade depending on your usage...especially if you end up getting something like the 60T LU88.

See some of the links from my post here:
                    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11553
                    Last edited by hewood; 05-19-2007, 03:04 AM.

Comment

FYI, these are the two that I have.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU88R010...9487185&sr=8-6
                      http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU87R010...9487185&sr=8-5
                      So far so good.

BTW has anyone ever considered one of these? I happen to stumble upon it while looking at blades. I like it. Looks nice and convenient. And, only <$11

Comment

I am curious.
                        I see the additional 20% off code at Amazon.
                        Do you think that there will be any better deals during Memorial Day weekend on saw blades?

Comment

Originally posted by 9.5 fingers to go View Post
                          BTW has anyone ever considered one of these? I happen to stumble upon it while looking at blades. I like it. Looks nice and convenient. And, only <$11
                          ...the missing link?

Comment

Ahhhh. Yes, that would help wouldn't it. The boss must have walked in in middle of my post. Let me try this again.
                            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d=TAZYO3P4G4WW

Comment

Working...
                            X