X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing drive belt on mini PC belt sander

So I paid the ten bucks to get the replacement drive belt for my belt sander rather than have it wait for two weeks in line at the repair shop before they even touch it. I was thinking I'd just pop the new one on myself.

They don't exactly "pop" on, do they? I'm still new to fangled machine repair so if anyone can tell me how to get this thing on properly I'd appreciate the help. It is grooved on the inside and the wheels have grooves as well. There is pic attached.

Is it doable for the knuckle headed?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by woodenstickers; 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: Replacing drive belt on mini PC belt sander

Don't have one myself, but from the pic the key seems to be the right pulley. It has 2 flats on the shoulder and a hex stud through it, so I would loosen (remove) the hex screw using an open end wrench on the flats and see if I could slide it on and then reinstall the hex screw.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Wrap it around one pulley and then you are essentially going to force it onto the other while turning it. One groove at a time. It will stretch to fit it is just tight.

Comment

I'm shocked you need a new one so soon. So much for PC quality. Guess they shoulda kept making their product in the USA instead of mexico.
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I think Gofor has the right solution
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I used a combo of both suggestions and got it on there. This forum has come through again for me! Thanks! And Akita, I too am disappointed with the belt breaking. I have had pretty bad luck with PC tools and with sanders in general. I work my tools pretty hard but don't think I abuse them really. This little belt sander sees at least an hour of use a week, sometimes more, but I am hoping it was just a bum belt and not the first in a line of problems.

Comment

woodenstickers
              other than the belt issue, how do you like the PC mini belt sander? Any other issues with it? I've been looking to pick one up. It appears to be handy in tight spots, and perhaps for scribing cabinets...

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                woodenstickers
                other than the belt issue, how do you like the PC mini belt sander? Any other issues with it? I've been looking to pick one up. It appears to be handy in tight spots, and perhaps for scribing cabinets...
                I really like it. I use it for scribing all the time. Mostly I am using it on a vertical surface so the size is great--it does try to get away every now and then but for the most part it is very easy to handle. The dust collection is great too, works very well. Now that the belts are available at HD it is much better, they are pretty cheap although so far you can only get the five pack variety (60,80,100,120,180) or two pack 80 grit. You can get 5 packs of any one grit online but they cost about twice as much as HD.

The only negatives besides the busted belt is that the back is rounded so you can't really bench it upside down (which doesn't matter too much because it is easy enough to hold in one hand and move your work with the other) and that the tracking can get pulled out of wack easily and often.

As far as it getting close to perpendicular surfaces it is not really all that amazing, but it can fit in small spots. For my purposes, sanding the finish off of cabinets in place and scribing, it does the trick for sure. I'd give it a thumbs up as long as it proves to be durable from here on out.

Eli

Comment

Sounds good...
                  I think I'll add the little guy to my collection. I've got a PC 4x24 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Comment

I have a Makita 9910 3x18 that's quite nice. Easy to handle. Wish I'd of sprung for the variable 9911 3x18.
                    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Just like texan said,you have to hold on pulley and force it on. there is no belt tensioner.you can take the cover off of the other side to hold the armature from spinning while you force it on.watch your fingers,you will pinch them.
                      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                        I have a Makita 9910 3x18 that's quite nice. Easy to handle. Wish I'd of sprung for the variable 9911 3x18.
                        I also have the 9910. great light weight belt sander!
                        The auto tracking on mine works just like advertised.
                        Can use with one hand, use it upside down, clamps upside
                        down in a vise, dust collection really works!

Not for heavy duty use, but I am quite suprised at the
                        power of this little inexpensive unit.

Comment

Originally posted by chic View Post
                          Just like texan said,you have to hold on pulley and force it on. there is no belt tensioner.you can take the cover off of the other side to hold the armature from spinning while you force it on.watch your fingers,you will pinch them.
                          Yup, that what I did but I was able to use a allen drive in my screwgun to turn the small pulley. My fingers got worked a little but once I was comfortable forcing it it wasn't that hard. My concern in the beginning was that I would be putting undue strain on the belt or pulleys by forcing it that way and I didn't want to bust anything else, or the new belt--especially if there was a less caveman technique that was more proper.

I do have another troubleshooting question about an orbital sander I'll post when I get home. I love the feedback on this forum. Thanks again guys!

Comment

BTW - do you notice any oil or grease seeping out of that PC 371 sander?
                            I went to HD and Lowe's, and the new PC 371 display units had oil on the housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                              BTW - do you notice any oil or grease seeping out of that PC 371 sander?
                              I went to HD and Lowe's, and the new PC 371 display units had oil on the housing.
                              No, haven't seen that at all. Maybe the blue aprons unpacked the displays after lunch?

I will say now that it's back in use I realize how much I missed the lil guy. It is a pretty nice tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X