Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24V Battery Problem?

Well...
    It finally happened. I have been reading about the mysterious sudden battery drain that happens to the 24V lithium-ion batteries. Today, while using my Ridgid cordless drill, the battery suddenly died. Strange I thought, since it had previously been on the charger. I pressed the battery power meter button and nothing happened. Hmmm....so, I remembered reading about this problem on here, so, I re-inserted the battery back into the charger for a few seconds and the battery actually showed 3 bars...???? So, I removed the battery and placed it back onto my drill...and....BINGO! The drill worked fine. Great...or so I thought. I went back to drilling the 3" screws into my workbench supports (I needed a new workbench) and after 7 or 8 screws...DEAD! AGAIN! What gives? I repeated the process and placed the battery back onto the charger, then immediately back onto the drill...BINGO...again. So, is this something I should just get used to doing? I mean, $450 for a combo set and the batteries are already malfunctioning? I've had the set about a month now and no problems with the batteries up until today. I guess it wouldn't be so bad, but, what if I am on a jobsite three stories up and the battery decides to crap out? Then it's three stories back down to the truck yadda yadda yadda...blah blah blah....you get the picture. I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this, I am just wondering if most people are still expieriencing this? If you have had to replace the batteries, have the replacements done this also? I am just curious. I am still within my 90 days, so I may be better off exchanging at the Depot, but then again, if the problem will keep happening, I don't want to become part of the cycle. Any suggestions????
    Nick...

Re: 24V Battery Problem?

Nick......Most of the other posts I saw idicated that the problem went away after an exchange for a new set. That was my experiance also. Problems with the old set, no problems with the new. I suggest you do the exchange.

Comment

Honestly- If you don't want to be part of this failing system in the future...change now. As you can see from the lack of support at HD due to low sales, this system is not going to stick around. If it's Lithium you want you have plenty of other choices out there. Be aware that if you buy Milwaukee's system you will most likely have similar issues. I am in 36v Dewalt and 18v Makita Lithium and LOVE IT!

I am a little concerned about the Makita. I have already had to warranty one battery due to failure. I would bet that was after 300 charges. Great drill, horrible circular, but love the weight when my 36v is just too much.

My Dewalts on the other hand are used daily by my guys and the only issue we had was that guard spring recall on the circular saw. I would bet we have over 1000 charges on all of those batteries and they are cruising!

Comment

Happened to me one time with the drill...when I was moving the gear from high to low and I thought I might have got it somewhere in between. Hasn't happened since...but I am concerned.

Comment

I've also had this same problem with my 24v LI drill, happens with both batteries too. And lately i've noticed that is seems very underpowered for what it's cracked up to be. it binds up and stalls the drill with a 2 inch drill bit. I bought this drill for power, my little 18v Ryobi was stronger than this... This drill is supposed to have 615 inch pounds of torque. As compaired to the 18v Dewalt drill which has 500 inch pounds. but those things will practically rip your arm off if they bind up on something. So i'm not sure if both my batteries are bad or if the drill is, or if that's just how this drill works...

Comment

Death exchange the whole set just to be sure. I just drilled 2" & 2" deep hole today and it went thru like butter. Bat showed it was still full. I used the same bat before on my vac for at least 5 min 2 days before that on the same charge.

Comment

Working...
            X