X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray gun for yard work

I have a decent compressor and the thought occurred to me that I could use it with a spray gun to spray my yard with weed killer, etc. My questions are:

1. What type of spray gun would work best in this application?

2. Should I dedicate the spray gun (i.e. not use it for anything else) to this function?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Spray gun for yard work

Personally I wouldn't use that to spray week killer. If you've got a lot to spray, get a good back pack spray rig, use mine all the time. The compressed air rig will produce a lot of atomized droplets (aka overspray) which you don't want floating over your yard. You'll find out in a week or so where they landed dedpending on the weed killer .

Clato

Comment

Originally posted by NavyBuck View Post
      I have a decent compressor and the thought occurred to me that I could use it with a spray gun to spray my yard with weed killer, etc. My questions are:

1. What type of spray gun would work best in this application?

2. Should I dedicate the spray gun (i.e. not use it for anything else) to this function?

Thanks in advance.
      My concern would be too much atomization. You want to spray....not mist. Otherwise you will be blowing the stuff everywhere...especially on yourself. Most compressor sprayers are designed for a bit more atomization than you'd want in a lawn sprayer and the pressure would have to be regulated low. Also, do you really want to drag an aircord around behind you....probably ending up dragging in the spray?

I use a Ryobi P2400 18 volt sprayer. Works fantastic. $30 bucks if I recall. Even with this tool you have to be careful to open the nozzle enough so it doesn't mist.

I use it for spraying weed and crabgrass killer in the lawn. I've also used it to spray weed and grass killer...run water through it before switching.

http://www.ryobitools.com/outdoortools/tool/p2400/

http://www.oneplustools.com/saw/p520

Last edited by Disaster; 05-15-2007, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Hi NB, I agree with the other guys

I help my wife look after 10 acres (condominiums) and I use a 3 gallon compression sprayer to spray Roundup for weeds. I make sure the nozzel is not misting and I wear gloves etc.

Here's a pretty good article from Lowes about garden sprayers.

Good luck.

PS. The unit is dedicated to spraying only Roundup
        Last edited by jbergstrom; 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM. Reason: additional info
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Just a second on the Ryobi garden sprayer. I actually use mine for spraying on oil based semi-transparent finishes on cedar furniture I make.

I don't want to mix weed killer chemicals in with my finishing liquids, so I'm contemplating a dedicated unit for my wife for gardening purpsoses. For only $30 each it's pretty cost effective and convenient.... IF you already happen to have some Ryobi batteries and chargers. If you don't, add about $40 for a battery and charger... $70 for two batteries and a dual charger.

Comment

How big of an area do you want to spray with weed killer? You might get along just fine with a manual pump sprayer. Others are right about needing to watch any overspray. Please do not use it for anything else. Once loaded with weed killer, always for weed killer.

Comment

Thanks for the input all! I don't have a huge area to spray, I just don't like manual labor . Based on your input, I definitely will not use the compressor/gun approach. I may look into the Ryobi though as I have a crap load of the 18 volt tools.

Comment

if you have a large yard (say a 1000 acers or so) you may want one like this,
                made by Red ball,
                http://www.redballproducts.com/

Standard Equipment Included with Tank & Trailer Choice: 15 Gallon Safety Water Tank
                Quick Fill Rinse & Solution Tank
                Forward Facing Control Panel
                Operator Platform & Ladder
                Light Kit
                Hitch Jack

Gallons

Tire sizes
                Single Tire Sizes 320/90R46
                Offset Walking Tandem Axle (4) 320/85R38
                Tracks 16” Wide Track System
                88” – 120” Adjustable

Adjustable Width Axles 72” – 120”

Spray Booms 60’ or
                66’
                73’
                76’
                80’
                88’
                90’

Hitches Combination Pintle/Clevis - 76,444 lb. Rating
                2-Point

Solution Pumps Ace Hydraulic Centrifugal Pump (2”)
                FMC-SC200-HYD-304

Spray Controllers Raven 450 Variable Rate Controller with Banjo
                Electric Boom Control Ball Valves in 3 and 4 Bank Systems

Spray Boom Plumbing Diaphragm Nozzle Bodies (3/4") triple.
                20" nozzle spacing standard; other spacing available.

Spray Boom Height Front Fold: 26" - 72"

Length 19' - 22', depending on tank and boom size

Transport Width Front Fold: 10' (May vary depending on axle width)

Transport Height 11' (May vary depending on boom size and tire selection)
                Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2007, 09:54 AM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Good one, BHD.
                  I am focusing on the Ryobi, but have run into a small problem. My local HD doesn't have it and the HD web site doesn't list one either.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyBuck View Post
                    Good one, BHD.
                    I am focusing on the Ryobi, but have run into a small problem. My local HD doesn't have it and the HD web site doesn't list one either.
                    Your local HD should be able to check other stores for stock. Some will even get products transferred from another store but they may be hesitant to do this with a $30 product.

This is a seasonal item. They buy what they estimate they might sell and when they are gone they are gone...till next season. It is also a new item so they may have been cautious. I bought the hedge trimmer, pole trimmer and sprayer when they first came out this season. All seem to be sold out at my local HD now.

Ryobi also sells a little string trimmer in this line (in Europe.) When/If that comes to the U.S. I will grab it up too. I have a few rocks and poles that need trimming after a mowing...and it would be nice to have something lightweight to grab for those jobs.

The Ryobi OnePlus 18 volt lineup is great. I'd love to see Ridgid follow suit with it's 24 volt MaxSelect tools. So far I have these OnePlus tools.

1. Hedge trimmer
                    2. Pole trimmer
                    3. Chain saw
                    4. Sprayer
                    5. Buffer
                    6. Vibrating sander
                    7. Orbiting sander
                    8. 3 speed hammer drill
                    9. 2 speed drill/driver
                    10. Impact driver
                    11. Circular saw
                    12. Sabre saw
                    13. Right angle drill
                    14. Laminate trimmer
                    15. 4" grinder
                    16. High speed grinder
                    17. Reciprocating saw
                    18. Hand vac
                    19. Shop vac
                    20. Floor fan

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                      I don't want to mix weed killer chemicals in with my finishing liquids, so I'm contemplating a dedicated unit for my wife for gardening purpsoses. For only $30 each it's pretty cost effective and convenient....
                      I may pick up a second one myself. Label one for Roundup/prevent grass and weed killer and the other for grass-safe weed and crabgrass killer. That way I'll never make a mistake and kill the lawn. I'll have to check out some other stores because, last time I checked, I didn't see them at the one I usually go to anymore.

Comment

I finally found one at my usual HD. On a hunch, I went to the garden section and thoroughly examined the display of various sprayers. Luckily, I found one at the back of the shelf.

Comment

I found mine in the back behind the manual sprayers at the hd here as well.

Scott

Comment

I like the Ortho Weed B Gone that attaches right to my garden hose for spraying the lawn. It automatically dilutes as you go and works pretty good, the only problem I have is if I dont have enough hose.

Comment

Working...
                            X