Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10" Slider

Originally posted by Newman View Post
    So you consider sloppy, inaccurate miter stops, and a worthless fence to me "minor" on a $500 production saw?
    New the miter stops are great. I will be bummed if they get sloppy with age.

However, I don't get all this "worthless fence" business. IMHO, the table size is much more important, for an accurate cut, then the fence. The fence is nothing more than a place to butt the wood up against. On the other hand, a small table makes it more difficult to rest the wood flatly. Give me a big table and a short fence anyday over a small table and a tall fence.

I don't have any problem seeing the laser.

Finally, what I like most about the Makita is how ridgid (no pun intended) the slider is. It has considerably less flex/play than other brands I auditioned. This makes getting a properly angled cut easier.

Comment

For what its worth, I have the dewalt DW718 12 inch sliding compound mitre saw. I also got a 10 inch ridgid.

I have not used the dewalt enough to give any feedback, but I have used a Bosch many times in the past and I personally think it is a great saw.

I was not impressed with the Makita a friend of mine has, Nor do I have any real complaints, it just did not seem like a "great" saw.

My 2 cents.
      Last edited by biscuit; 05-21-2007, 10:09 AM. Reason: I cant spell worth a crap at times.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
        VASandy - fathers day is coming, depending on what you got for mothers day you may get away with it.

AHAHAHAHA wbrooks...that's such a great idea!!!! "Honey...here's a new SAW for you!! I'll just keep it down in the wood shop for you!" Instead of getting him the audio gear he wants...
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Arf Arf Arrooooo

What works for one person may not for another. This is where you really should look at as many brands and models as you can and pick the tool that will do what you need it to for you. Look at how many brands and models of automobiles there are. How can anyone ever find the perfect match? You could spend hours every day checking them over and still not find it. You have to find something that you think you'll be happy with, pray hard and then either buy it, or keep looking. This applies to tools too. Each company makes a few good ones, lots of OK tools and some real crappers. Only you can find what will work for your needs. Even then it's wild as anymore quality control is in the past. Today it's slam it out fast, sell it and make the money. Customers are nothing but a major PITA in the eyes of CEOs and CFOs.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
            I have tools from just about every brand out there. I find the older Dewalt was better quality than some of their newer stuff. That said, I think makita makes disposiable tools. To me they feel the cheapest out of all the tools out there, and they're one notch above HF tools. I've had the best luck with Bosch, Milwaukee, and PC. I'd like to have all Festool, but who wouldn't? I have some Metabo drills and sanders, and they're the cat's meow...
            If it is as bad as you say, then my $99 HF 10" slider is a better saw than the makita.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              Arf Arf Arrooooo

What works for one person may not for another. This is where you really should look at as many brands and models as you can and pick the tool that will do what you need it to for you.
              Precisely.
              There are some valid setbacks to the Makita saw but depending on the use they will be insignificant or somewhat irritating. The right side fence is quite low and the extension is sold seperately on the 10". I personally don't have any use for an ultra high fence so I can live with it, besides the max cutting height isn't so great on this saw. If thats what is needed its not the right model. The sideways scale could be a problem to some but not to others. The motor angle could be inconvient in some angles, but won't prevent you from making any type of cut. All things considered I find the belt housing on some sliders so large that it hardly makes a difference so why bother. I'll stick to simplicity. I also move my saw around fairly frequently and being abouy 20lbs+ lighter than the rest also helps.

After all the shopping around for saws I made before settling on the Makita I came to the realization that there simply is no one saw that has everything "right" in my opinion of what a saw should be. Most also have a "what the frak where they thinking" design feature. There are a lot of great saws but they all have their downside. The DW718 for example has an obvious significant amount of play in the head/rails. Hitachi also gets great reviews but seems to get a fair amount of complaints of play in the rails. The Ridgid saws as many of us are aware have a reccuring aligment problem. The Bosch which was my very close second when I was buying is usually fantastically well reviewed but has an innadequately small table area for me to and gets inconsistant quality reviews. Many claim the miter scale and detents are not cast aligned on some saws. The scale is cast on the base (WTF!) so it can't be adjusted/corrected. The adjustable handle was also a bit of a turnoff after reading about it breaking or failing. Handle position to me is right down there with color is the list of priorities. You get used to it, its no big deal. In trying to please everyone I feel they just came out with a more fragile product.

To me the most critical part of a sliding miter saw is its accuracy. All the features and clever design in the world are no use if the the darn thing can't hold a straight line. Makita is the only one that seems to consistently get praise for its ultra firm slide system. It cuts straighter (read perfect) which many non-sliders, usually considered more accurate can't even do.
              Last edited by Velosapien; 05-21-2007, 08:03 PM.

Comment

The scale is cast on the base so it can't be adjusted/corrected (WTF!)
                WTF are you talking about?
                It's the machined detents in the base of the saw that detemine where the miter stops take place. The scale is insignificant. Look at the scale on your saw as an example - there's nothing to adjust - it's just a reference. You adjust the pointer to make corrections to the miter reading. BTW- it's much more expensive to machine the scale onto the base than put some cheap sticker scale on the saw - look at your makita and the bevel scale, assuming it hasn't peeled off by now...

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                  New the miter stops are great. I will be bummed if they get sloppy with age.

However, I don't get all this "worthless fence" business. IMHO, the table size is much more important, for an accurate cut, then the fence. The fence is nothing more than a place to butt the wood up against. On the other hand, a small table makes it more difficult to rest the wood flatly. Give me a big table and a short fence anyday over a small table and a tall fence.

I guess you never cut crown in position then...

I don't have any problem seeing the laser.

Try using the saw outdoors in a real construction site and not just in your cozy, warm garage

Finally, what I like most about the Makita is how ridgid (no pun intended) the slider is. It has considerably less flex/play than other brands I auditioned. This makes getting a properly angled cut easier.

BTW- RIDGID is a brand. The word you are looking for is RIGID (as in inflexible, or firm).
                  Last edited by Newman; 05-22-2007, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X