X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" Slider

For anyone thinking about buying a Makita 10" slider ya better hurry before this deal goes away. Amazon currently has the LS1013F 10" slider w/light for $288.37 + $4.99 shipping. Makita LS1013F
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: 10" Slider

That is a great deal!
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Holy Shnikees!!! Now that's a deal! If only....if only I could convince the hubby of the need for such a tool to replace my old 12" delta compound.

New saw....
      Can actually CUT a 12" board in one pass (up to almost 4" thick at that)
      Would be safer, as I can no longer attach the guard on the Delta (lost that doggone "jesus" spring).
      Is probably actually accurate when cutting a 45...versus the wiggle-wobble of my current Delta. And let's not even get into the "compound" cuts the Delta wobbles it's way through.

Current saw
      Doesn't cost any money to basically not use.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thats a really awesome deal. If anybody ever wanted to have one of the best saws for cheap this is a great opportunity. Only downside is its the model without the laser and I must admit, I'd personally pay the full $499 for the FL model instead. The laser is one of the features that make it a truly remarkable saw.

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        Is probably actually accurate when cutting a 45...versus the wiggle-wobble of my current Delta. And let's not even get into the "compound" cuts the Delta wobbles it's way through.

Current saw
        Doesn't cost any money to basically not use.
        I've used mine to cut 45d bevels and miters accross the full length of 12" pieces and get flawlessly accurate cuts.

Comment

That saw's not worth a **** in a hand basket - let alone $300-500. It's got sloppy detents that only develop more play over a short time. There's at least 1 degree of play in the miter detents. The non-existent fence is a joke, and the flip fence broke off during the first week of use. The side-reading miter scale is pure garbage - which dumb SOB designed this POS?! The side tilt-mounted motor is in the way, and blocks your view when making right bevels. I guess Makita figured they would save a buck by not mounting the motor above the saw via a belt drive system, like every other manufacturer does. The slide mechanism sticks when it's all the way in. The laser is useless in daylight - you can only see it if you work in the dark, and good luck trying to adjust it. There's one screw knob that's supposed to adjust the laser in two axis. Whatever. It has no positive detents for common bevels, and once you move the bevel, it's impossible to make it stop exactly on 90 deg every time. The vertical handle is not as ergonomic as a horizontal handle like a Dewalt or other. The only positives I can think of, is that it's quiet and has a smooth cutting blade. But that's not enough to make this a decent saw. I can't understand all the hype over this POS. There are way better saws out there...

Comment

VASandy - fathers day is coming, depending on what you got for mothers day you may get away with it.

Comment

If you snoozed, you loosed. Price is now $344.84.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                Tha There are way better saws out there...
                Such as? because IMO its not the Bosch or anything else I can think of, not by a longshot. There are saws that are superior in some smaller features but overall none are better. The Makita has some drawbacks, some which you described that to be honest are minor at best. It has arguably the stiffest and most play free slide system of any saw which makes it possibly the most accurate slider and thats why people like it. A saw that can't cut where you want it to isn't of much use.

There's one screw knob that's supposed to adjust the laser in two axis. Whatever.
                There's 4 seperate adjustments. The top knob and detent screw (marked in green) adjust the laser to mark on either side of the kerf you prefer. There's two other 2mm hex screws obscured by the sticker (marked in red) that adjust the "miter" and "bevel" adjustment of the laser in relation to the blade. Those are not documented and left out like many things in Makita's pretty lousy manual. The laser however is FULLY adjustable in every sense.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Velosapien; 05-19-2007, 11:02 AM.

Comment

The Makita has some drawbacks, some which you described that to be honest are minor at best
                  So you consider sloppy, inaccurate miter stops, and a worthless fence to me "minor" on a $500 production saw?

As for the laser, it's poorly documented - and it still sucks *** in light.

And yes, I have a bosch 4410, and it's superior to the makita in every way. Hell, even my Dewalt DW716 is better, and it's not even a slider.

Comment

I might buy that your Bosch is as nice as the Makita (not better) but a DeWalt? They're kind of like the step-child of professional tools.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      I might buy that your Bosch is as nice as the Makita (not better) but a DeWalt? They're kind of like the step-child of professional tools.

Mark

Being too much of a fan-boy and brand groupie is corn-ball. It's mostly personal preference and if we are going to be honest with ourselves, prejudice against or for a certain brand because of what we are used to and what we learned with.

I have a dewalt CMS and I've trimmed out hundreds of windows and doors, base, crown and so on and it is an immaculate saw. My dewalt 14.4 has driven thousands and thousands of screws and it never quit. My Dewalt RO sander was either a lemon or the design sucks. Dewalt circular saw? Don't like it. I've had super bad luck with some of my PC tools breaking (tiger saw in particular) and so have my co-workers, but other PC tools are fantastic. I love my ridgid wet dry, stapler, nailers and RO sander but will stay away from their CMS. It goes on and on. I'm not going to try to change your mind about Dewalt and you won't change mine about Makita cordless drills and drivers(don't like the way they feel)OR their benchtop table saw (put that one against dewalt's version), but I'm not going to write off a whole brand by one tool they may or may not make well.

Doesn't make sense. To me anyway.
                      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Don't get me wrong as I have some DeWalt as well but they seem to be more of a disposable tool then Makita, Bosch or Milwaukee. I just bought a DeWalt 18 Volt XRP 1/2" cordless hammer drill which sounds like it has a bad transmission and it is throwing sparks already. All I did so far was to charge the batteries so it will be interesting to see what happens when I actually try to use it.

Mark

Comment

Not to take over this thread but I think the sparks may be just the new brushes breaking in. And as far as being disposable, my experience with my dewalt ro sander is exactly disposable as the repair place wants more to look at it than it costs new. (lost the receipt--doh!)
                          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I have tools from just about every brand out there. I find the older Dewalt was better quality than some of their newer stuff. That said, I think makita makes disposiable tools. To me they feel the cheapest out of all the tools out there, and they're one notch above HF tools. I've had the best luck with Bosch, Milwaukee, and PC. I'd like to have all Festool, but who wouldn't? I have some Metabo drills and sanders, and they're the cat's meow...

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                              If you snoozed, you loosed. Price is now $344.84.
                              The price just dropped back down to $288 - Never mind that only lasted about 20-minutes and now it is back to $344
                              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-21-2007, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X