New Compact 18v LXI Drill!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Compact 18v LXI Drill!!

It was mentioned by ARE1 in another thread (sorry i felt like this deserved it own thread) that Ridgid was releasing a compact 18v LXI drill for Father's Day. Has anyone else heard anything like this? That would be great if it is true. My 7lbs lxi drill is starting to get heavy for everyday use. And I would love to have 18v battery for my impact driver. And now that the max select impact driver is finally out we need something else to wait for, right?

Re: New Compact 18v LXI Drill!!

Does this mean Ridgid will be releasing a 18v XLI lithium battery for the MaxSelect tools or am I dreaming? If they release the drill, I'm sure the batteries will follow...hopefully.

Comment

Thats what I'm saying!!! I'll buy the compact drill to get them. Hopefully we will also see XLI batteries 24v and 18v sold alone. I also wonder if you will need a new charger for the 18v or will the 24v charger work.

Comment

They said it would be like the Makitas, compact, 18v l-ion, for about the same money as the Makita. I hope it arrives on schedule, but I will wait for it. That would really make the impact driver more usefull to use.

Comment

The batterery alone will be bucks, about $150 for the 24v. You might as well spend a few bucks more and get a tool or charger set. I bought the 24v hammerdrill set for $165 at H.D. as a display, keep a eye on the return/clearance pile and you will end up with a free tool for the price of the battery.

Comment

I got one tonight 179.00

Comment

Are1, what does it come with? Can you use those batteries in 24v tools?

Comment

Thanks for the update. I was starting to lose hope.

Can you post some pics? Also, can you use the 18v lithium batteries on your 24v tools?

By the way, this might be a dumb question, but by the time you buy the 24v set, compact drill, and impact driver, aren't you better off buying a Dewalt or Makita set that includes all of the above tools. I understand the 24v factor, but it's starting to get pricey when you add it all up. Just a thought.
                Last edited by brianss; 06-23-2007, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                  Thanks for the update. I was starting to lose hope.

Can you post some pics? Also, can you use the 18v lithium batteries on your 24v tools?

By the way, this might be a dumb question, but by the time you buy the 24v set, compact drill, and impact driver, aren't you better off buying a Dewalt or Makita set that includes all of the above tools. I understand the 24v factor, but it's starting to get pricey when you add it all up. Just a thought.
                  Trade offs, trade offs, trade offs.......If I remember correctly DeWalt only offers LI in 36V. Powerfull tools but fatiguing in some situations and to this point the product line is limited. Makita, according to the reports, has some of the sweetest compact light weight drills and impact tools, however its saws are short on power.
                  Ridgid seems to be trying to address the power and the light weight needs. The 24V LI power for saws and hammer drills and now the 18V LI light weight drill and impact tool.
                  Now if they would start shipping extra 24V LI batteries and offer a 18-24V LI charger?

Comment

the compact drills charger does not work with the 24 volt li

Comment

Well, I only have a few weeks left of my 90 day return, so I need to decide whether to keep my 24v kit. I just got the 18v compact drill, but I really just wanted the 18v batteries to use with the impact driver. Adding it up, despite the clearence price of the 24v kit, still has me wondering if its worth it. I could easliy go with the Makita LXT set or the standard Dewalt XRP set. I'm really leaning towards the Makita set, but I would hate to give up on the Ridgid set. I don't use the tools on a daily basis, but they have worked out pretty well, so far. Any thoughts?

Comment

I have both 24v and 18v L-ion sets, and like the flexability of either battery depending on the job. But if you just want the battery alone it would cost about $125 for each 18v and about $150 for each 24v, not including a charger. You pay for the batteries, the tools are free. I have heard good things about the Makita set, but the drill is a little weak users tell me.

Comment

The new 18 L-ion charger seems to be the same as the ni-cad 9.6-18v charger. It will not charge the 24v. I heard they are making a new multi volt charger that will, when will it arrive ?????? I dont know

Comment

Originally posted by ARE1 View Post
                            I have both 24v and 18v L-ion sets, and like the flexability of either battery depending on the job. But if you just want the battery alone it would cost about $125 for each 18v and about $150 for each 24v, not including a charger. You pay for the batteries, the tools are free. I have heard good things about the Makita set, but the drill is a little weak users tell me.
                            Just got the 18V LI. Pretty satisfied as it seems close to same weight as the Makita. Somewhat dissapointed that the 24V LI battery will not fit in the 18V campact drill. 18V LI batteries will fit in all the 24V tools and of course the Max select tools which will take either. This is especially nice for the Max Select Impact Tool as the 18V battery makes each much lighter and easier to handle than the 24V.
                            Last edited by roadrashray; 07-18-2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

After the recent news of the compact drill batteries only being 1.5Ah vs. 2.9Ah. I thought it would be a good idea to revisit these old threads so that people wouldn't get bad info and make misinformed decisions. Here is a comparison I did of new Ridgid "compact" drill vs. several competitors.

I just did some comparisons of Ridgid's 18 volt "compact" drill vs. some competitors.

First lets look at weight.

Ridgid 18 volt compact = 4 lbs. 5 ounces.
                              Panasonic 14.4 volt = 3 lbs. 10 ounces.
                              Makita 18 volt compact = 3lbs. 9 ounces.
                              Hitachi 18 volt compact = 3 lbs 11 ounces.

Battery total power = Voltage x Ah

Ridgid, Makita and Hitachi = 27
                              Panasonic = 43

Max. Torque in.lb

Ridgid = 455
                              Makita = 450 (there have been reviews that say this number is optimistic)
                              Panasonic = 390
                              Hitachi = 374

Size - Length from chuck tip to back of motor

Panasonic = 8"
                              Ridgid = 9 3/4"
                              Makita = 8"
                              Hitachi = 9"** **Very approximate...need to recheck.

Features

Ridgid: worklight and bit holder
                              Makita: worklight
                              Panasonic: worklight and belt hook
                              Hitachi: belt hook and bit holder

Price, alone and in kit with impact
                              Ridgid: $180
                              Makita: $200, $270
                              Hitachi: $180
                              Panasonic: $270, $360

I bought the Panasonic kit. At the time, for me, it was the best compromise of weight, size, runtime and durability. I probably would have bought the Makita kit, if it had been available at the time.

Bottom line: The Ridgid compact drill is not that compact. Nor is it an great value compared to the competitive offerings...especially compared to the Makita kit that includes an impact driver.
                              Last edited by Disaster; 10-03-2007, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X