X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Rant

Damn it, I am very careful with my T.S., until this morning. First off do not ever do what I did and rarely will I ever do what I did, but I did it anyhow. Had my blade running and I needed to move my fence in just a smidgen, does this sound familiar to anyone? Well my fence didn't seem to want to move that little bit, so I gave it a love tap. I was only a 1/2" away from the blade.
    Well you probably guessed it by now, my fence went into my blade. Metal flew and my hand got to the switch faster than Bruce Lee, but my stupidity cost me a $100.00 blade and a fence. My fence now has a half circle and about 1/32" gouge in it. I know better than that, pisses me off that I would do something like a stupid moron. I'm glad I had my safety glasses on, tiny metal was flying in the air for about 2 seconds. Whats cheaper now, buying another T.S. or a fence? I'd have instant spare parts if I got another T.S. Small humor there, I'm still shaking my head over this one. So all you newbies out there, this is a lesson to pay attention to.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Table Saw Rant

Yipes! I will heed, sir.

I wonder if you might want to use a piece of mdf on your fence--I know some folks do that from the beginning, not even as a repair but to be honest I'm not sure why. May do the trick for fixing the fence but the blade
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Thats a damn good idea there, wooenstickers. But some of my jigs will not work, but it will get me by for now. Wasn't even thinking that way, to bummed I guess. My T.S. is the 3650, I didn't mention that in the first post.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

MDF it and queue a search in ebay, they go for sale every now and then when someone puts on an aftermarket fence. You may be able to have the blade sharpened as aluminum should not have chipped the carbide

Comment

There's your excuse to upgrade the fence...

"honey I need to buy a new fence for my TS, the current one is unsafe, and you wouldn't want me to get hurt..."

LOL

Comment

Thanks guys, but it would go like this. Honey I need a new Table Saw, because my fence is not safe anymore. Her response would be "F*#k that, you own 2 you don't need anymore!
            I will check out ebay and see what the got. Did check out the blade better, it is fine.
            Last edited by garager; 05-19-2007, 08:18 PM.

Comment

You may find a used fence on Ebay or Craigslist. You may also find that your blade is ok...aluminum will dull a blade faster than wood, but it may have survived without issue.

A thought...is it possible to disassemble the fence and turn the tube around so that the right side becomes the left side?

Comment

Even if you went for a nice brand new fence that won't cost near as much as a new table saw. As for your blade, try a sharpening service or call customer service for the factory that made it. They may have their own sharpening service. Are all the teeth on it and do any look chipped? If not, then a little grinding (special equipment) and you'll be set as far as the blade goes.

Comment

Guys do you think I could dissemble the rip fence channel and flip it around. It just came to my mind without looking at it. I will certainly check this out tomorrow morning after coffee.

Woussko, nothing looks chipped, but it does tear up the wood now. I have a local lumber yard that will give me a deal on the sharpening.

Comment

I don't have much to add, except that I'm sick to my stomach for you. Dude that sucks. Hope you can find a new fence and have success getting the blade resharpened. I know I'd be throwing hammers if I'd done that. The best thing is you're ok. Thanks for the lesson. Again, sorry to hear about the mishap.
                    No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                      Guys do you think I could dissemble the rip fence channel and flip it around. It just came to my mind without looking at it. I will certainly check this out tomorrow morning after coffee.

Woussko, nothing looks chipped, but it does tear up the wood now. I have a local lumber yard that will give me a deal on the sharpening.
                      Sounds like a possible short term solution. You'd have the good face positioned where the fence is normally used on a left-tilt saw, which is to say to the right of the blade.

Watch eBay as others have said, I have found them from time to time using my saved search for all things RIDGID.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I can feel your pain, I have "Been There Done That" with a Ryobi table saw.

That adventure is the reason I was able to get the 3650. Or I should say the reason I was able to convince the wife to allow me to get the 3650.

Regards,

Comment

Well, let me tell you my stupidity, which happened about a week ago. I was cutting about 1 inch off a MDF board (maybe 1 foot by 2.5 feet). I got the board all the way through the blade. For some reason (laziness?), i didn't have a roller or anything at the back end to support it, other than just pressing down on it so it wouldn't fall off. I decided to pull the board back just a bit (with the blade still spinning), just so I could reach with one hand and shut off the saw. Well, the board spun a bit counterclockwise, and in about a millisecond, the blade came to a dead stop (with switch still on!), wedged into the wood. Instead of kicking back, the mdf pushed hard enough against the fence to move the front rail about three inches to the right.

No harm done, actually, other than having to recalibrate the front rail. But lesson learned...never bring board back, use the stupid rollers, and use the featherboard. Could have been worse, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X