Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: electric pressure/power washer information please

Newman

When you try out a good engine driven pressure washer next to a DIY type electric motor driven one, it will be a BIG difference. Look at both the pressure and the flow rate ratings for several models.

Machine 1: 1800 PSI and 2.0 GPM

Machine 2: 2700 PSI and 3.0 GPM

If both are working all out, machine 2 will do about 2-1/4 times the work of machine 1 per minute, but being able to run at a higher pressure, it can dig down under dirt, paint and material better than machine 1 can so it seems like far more machine. Using matched nozzles really makes a difference too. Where this really gets wild is to try an electric and then a good 11 or 13 HP engine driven machine. At say 3000 PSI and 4.0 GPM it's like a 10 wheel contractor dump truck and a mini pickup.

The one thing to demand is that the pump have a user adjustable regulator besides a safety valve. There are many jobs where you don't want full blast power. Also, check the wand and be sure it has a quick coupler so you can change nozzles. Most of the DIY pressure washers have everything El Cheepo and only frustrate someone used to a quality setup. Yes, quality costs more to buy, but it's a nice investment. You don't need to go all out.

If you're just doing a little cleaning around the home, you might try renting a small pressure washer and note what comes with it and the ratings. Some rental yards have electric pressure washers. Home Depot (The big one) near me rents some power tools.

Newman

If you can find a good powerful engine driven one and a super jet (tiny round hole) nozzle for it, try cutting a brick in half. I have used a good powerful pressure washer to cut flag stones before!!! It's a little slow, but you don't get all the dust of sawing them. You'll also love seeing how you can blast paint off of bricks, cement and steel.

WARNING: If any of you want to wash your car, be sure to use a wide fan nozzle and stay back a few feet. You must be careful. A powerful model with a jet blast nozzle (fine jet of water) can blast the paint off your car. EEEEEK

And always protect yourself from flying debris. A good face shield is a must. Remember that high pressure water can and will blast your skin off too. Use with care and keep your mind on what you're doing.
    Last edited by Woussko; 05-24-2007, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Woussko

as usual, you have lots of neat and useful information. thanks.

I saw that Lowe's has a Troy-Bilt 2500 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer with a Honda motor for $299. That seems reasonable. I wasn't even in the market for a PW, but now I have something to think about...

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post

Newman I can also get just about the same pressure after 2 or 3 beers if there's much of a wait for the loo...
        Do you have different nozzles for it or do you just use your thumb? LOL

Comment

5 GPM !
          5000 PSI !

It can almost double as a plasma cutter!!!

Comment

I like my annervi reverberi TRX but it is a heavy;it's like carrying a cinder block around. I should get a cart for it!!!!
            You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
              Do you have different nozzles for it or do you just use your thumb? LOL
              Nope no nozzles, just a simple pinch valve for on/off
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Honda and Honda - Engines

Honda makes both a home owner and a commercial series of small air cooled engines. The horizontal shaft, slant cylinder models are the commercial ones and normally they are red & white. The vertical cylinder, horizontal shaft and most of their vertical shaft engines are the home owner grade. While these aren't bad engines, they are no where near as good as their commercial series. For the home user it should be OK, but for a heavy duty user they leave you wanting.

Check the hose and fittings on any model you plan to buy. The wand should have quick connect fittings on both ends and the pump should have a quick connector for the high pressure hose. The garden hose connector should be brass and not plastic. There should be nozzel tips included that are easy to swap out.

OK Put simple, check to be sure you're getting a machine and not just an adult toy.

Comment

Newman

Is this the one you saw at Lowes?
                  http://www.troybilt-gen-pw.com/press...del.cfm?id=202

Comment

This is for everyone. If your local gasoline station has a LASER WASH 4000 car washing machine, ask to see the really nice big and beefy motors and pumps that are part of it. Then you'll know what a serious electric pressure washer should be built like. You'll need someone in management as they will have to unlock the service covers so you can see the makings of this machinery. Also, for a few minutes, they should shut off the power for safety reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      Newman

Is this the one you saw at Lowes?
                      http://www.troybilt-gen-pw.com/press...del.cfm?id=202
                      That's the one...

any good?

Comment

well guys, thanks for all the input and interesting reading to my initial query.
                        Now, I totally agree the professional gas powered washers and 2000psi plus are the top dogs..

But think about a Tim [the tool man] Taylor type and ugh ugh more power!
                        He could knock a house off its foundation!

I previously had a small electric sprayer and it was fine, I guess around 1200 psi or so.

Now with the Husky 1800S, I too have more power ugh ugh ugh!

to be sincere, the 1800S is strictly a homeowner type unit, that may see 50-100 hours of run time a year! I doubt this thing would last if you run it 30 hours a week!

Many of the pressure washers you folks have referenced to are big boy units!
                        These units are just way too much machine for my needs.

I did not want to go gas powered for a variety of reasons, noise, fuel costs and maintenance etc. The electric just needs an outlet and plenty of those tiny electrons to get into the wire.

I also liked the 3 year warranty that came with the 1800S.
                        Another factor it was made in Italy not China!!!!

I do have a question as a follow up.....

The hose that came with the 1800S is about 30 feet long. I would like to extend it another 20-25 feet; I have asked husky but so far no response.

How do I calculate the losses if any when adding some extra hose?
                        -or- for my needs the loss would be minimal and not an issue

Cactus Man

p.s. today I added 25 feet of extra high pressure hose and the 1800S performed perfectly. I also went to the Husky site and had a "live e-mail chat" and was told that 25' would not be an issue.
                        Last edited by cactusman; 05-25-2007, 06:49 PM. Reason: follow up on extra hose length

Comment

Glad it all worked out for you Cactusman

I was just pointing out for others that there is not too much difference in price on the lower end of things between an electric unit and a gas powered unit. There is a big difference however in performance

I'm glad your happy with your unit and it works good for you. The extra hose is really handy for sure. With my big industrial unit I have 3 50' sections of hose. That lets me park the machine in one spot and reach close to 300' (150' either side of the machine). I've also got an extension pole that extends to about 18'. Two stories are no problem for me from the ground. For anything higher I've got a 14' orchard ladder that combined with my pole will let me reach the fourth floor on the highest building where I live (townhouses and condos, my wife is property manager)

Have fun, don't forget yer gumboots
                          Last edited by jbergstrom; 05-26-2007, 05:26 AM.
                          Cheers! - Jim
                          -------------
                          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Cactusman

I'm glad this worked out for you. Adding more hose normally works fine. Look through the hose and then at the tiny nozzel hole size.

JB
                            What industrial pressure washer do you have if you don't mind saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                              JB
                              What industrial pressure washer do you have if you don't mind saying?
                              Woussko, I've got a Honda GX340 11 hp. 4 stroke horizontal shaft attached to a Cat pump

Here's a couple of shot's
                              Attachment Attachment

This is my Kanza(?) turbo dirt blaster - will blast barnacles etc. off of boat hulls or what have you... (grenade shaped attachement by gun)
                              Attachment

This is my extension pole...
                              Attachment
                              Attached Files
                              Cheers! - Jim
                              -------------

Comment

JB

Nice going and the turbo (rotary) nozzels are great when you need them.

The Honda GX340 is a workhorse engine for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X