X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric pressure/power washer information please

I did a search and did not find much discussion regarding electric power/pressure washers.

I am looking at the Husky 1800 [Home Depot] or the Karcher 1800psi [Lowes]

They are similar in price etc.

I read that there are two types of electric pressure/power washers..one uses an axial pump which tends to be a bit unreliable. The other style is a plunger type pump and induction motors The husky, I think is axial, I'm not sure about the Karcher line.

It does seem that overall the Karcher brand seems to be quite popular and they offer a wide range of selections.

As a weekend warrior type user which brand offers the best bang for the buck?

Again, they are similar in price..the Husky, I think does offer a 3 year warranty, Karcher is one year.

A real gas powered unit is not an option, so please don't go there..I'm looking for an electric power washer advice

Thank you

Cactus Man

Re: electric pressure/power washer information please

You might want to take a look here before you go and buy one from a "Big Box" store. This place has loads of accessories for them too.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...32+210209&Ne=2

Comment

Cactus man: I have the Husky 1750 (predecessor to the 1800) and it does a fine job. I did have to send it in shortly after I got it because the pump was not building up pressure. Worked fine after I got it back. Quick service, too. Only problem with the service was trying to understand the guy I was talking to. I don't know what part of the world he came from, but it sure wasn't any English speaking country!!!!
      Jim

Comment

Stick with Karcher. They've been making pressure washers for a long time...

Comment

Well here we go again! this post is showing a 50/50 mix on the electric pressure washer of choice.
          Please those of you in the peanut gallery with electric pressure washers, drop a reply. If you indeed have the two units I mentioned please reply with detail.

As I read the myriad of reviews across the net, I also see a large split in product preference.

My uses? typical homeowner stuff..wash Harley, Vehicles, driveway, decking, walls, riot control etc.

I currently have a Karcher older unit. I really don't care for the spray gun
          I need to either rebuild the Karcher or as I really want to do get a 1800psi
          pressure washer.
          Thanks again for all replies.

Cactus Man

Comment

From the peanut gallery... I purchased the Huskey 1750 a couple of years ago as I needed to clean my deck which was seriously soiled. It did a good job and I've further used it to clean the walks, siding, the concrete walls in the basement. I've yet to have any problems with it, although I haven't used it since last summer.

It quite portable, easy to move up and down stairs and has plenty of pressurer. When I was shopping, the concerted opinion was to get a much higher pressure washer (engine driven). Personally, after experiencing the 1750, I can't imagine using a higher pressure. The 1750 can pretty much tear up any wood surface and I sure wouldn't use in on my Miata paint job. It's quite adequate for stone and concrete.

Mine has two wands and the hose length is adequate for my use, but I do have to move the unit to follow the hose as I move across my deck.

Best thing I could suggest is to look at the features, wands, connections, etc. on today's models and go from there. No matter what the nature of the product, I think you'll always be faced with a certain amount of "My Chevy vs Your Ford" suggestions.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Cactusman,
              what is the actual model of the Karcher you are looking at? I can't speak for the Husky but have a lot of information on the Karchers. But their reliablility and operation is highly dependent on individual models.

Comment

This is a well built powerhouse!!!!http://www.amazon.com/Annovi-Reverbe...9879567&sr=8-1 Karcher built quality is suspect. I have no experience w/husky.
                Last edited by Akita; 05-22-2007, 08:27 PM.
                You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

well gang, I just picked up the husky 1800s. This is the 2007 model.
                  I had to go to two home Depot stores as one had the 1800 model which is the "2006" production.

Reading various reviews there is a difference between the 1800 and the 1800s.

It is ready to go right out of the box...Made in Italy!

Owner's manual is made obviously on recycled paper..fine by me..BUT the dam Spanish is very distracting. They should simply print two manuals one in English and one in Spanish..I was surprised it did not have Italian!

I did not use the soap function just the medium, high, and turbo spray functions.
                  First impression, it is much quieter than my 1500psi Karcher. This has an interesting head design which may limit options..Also I am not impressed with their high pressure hose it is tough to keep it from kinking. How come they don't include a swivel connector?

I also will install a high pressure hose quick disconnect.

It did pop the garage outlet which has a 15 amp gfci so this unit does draw close to 15 amps!

I like the action though and it seems like minimal fatigue on your hand holding the trigger.

I'll report back more as I use it.

Cactus Man

Comment

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here but why don't you consider a real power washer? Something like this from my Canadian Home Depot. There has to be similar offerings south of the 49th parallel. The one I mention is only $379.00 (cdn), has a Briggs and Stratton 4.75 hp. gas engine and puts out around 2350 psi.
                    That's a far cry from the electric Husky I see listed for $240.00 (cdn) and it only puts out 1800 psi.

I'm probably biased as I own an 11 hp. Honda unit with a Cat pump which puts out 3500 psi, more if I throw my "grenade" spinner on there (that makes it just a shade past 4000 psi), then I have to watch out as the pebbles in exposed aggregate sidewalks start to fly if I'm not careful

I've used those little electric units and no offense but I can almost get the same pressure with my thumb over the end of the garden hose

I think if anyone who has used an electric pw got a chance to use even a smaller gas powered unit the difference would be like night and day

For a few bucks more you would have a unit that would likely last you the rest of your life with proper maintenance if all you did was the odd job around home. The gas units have real guns and nozzles too which makes the job a lot easier, quicker with the extra pressure etc. etc.

Just my 2¢ worth
                    Last edited by jbergstrom; 05-23-2007, 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Cheers! - Jim
                    -------------
                    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I've used those little electric units and no offense but I can almost get the same pressure with my thumb over the end of the garden hose

that's too funny LOL

Comment

If he just has to have an electric pressure washer, how about one like this? Warning: Requires 30 Amp. 240 Volt circuit to power the real 5 HP electric motor. This is no toy like the "Big Box" junkers are.
                        http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1853_200321853

If money is no issue and you have 3 phase electric power (commercial building) then maybe this real beast would be the way to go. This one has more kick than a shotgun when the trigger is pulled. Professional use only, please. 5.0 Gallons/minute and up to 5000 PSI. This thing is dangerously powerful.
                        http://www.landa.com/showProductSeri...ries=36&type=2

I think I would start here and just take a good prowl around their web site. There's much to learn on it. http://www.landa.com/mainpage.aspx
                        Last edited by Woussko; 05-23-2007, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Nice electric solutions Woussko

Newman I can also get just about the same pressure after 2 or 3 beers if there's much of a wait for the loo...
                          Cheers! - Jim
                          -------------
                          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I know my ideas in my posting were more machine than any DIY will need, but as others have said there's really no use in buying a little weener that can't the job. Like it or not to get something nice you got to pay for it. Good luck and I would try out one or two at a tool rental place. If it's not busy, they might let you try out one of the units they have. I wish I knew the brand and model of the little electric a friend got 2 summers back. It's a total joke next to anything worth it's weight in beans. A good jet nozzle on a garden hose gets more done.

Comment

LOL

seems to me the gas powered unit is the way to go...

Come to think of it, I think my friend might have one at his shop. I'd like to check it out and see how well those things work. I got a Karcher a few years ago from Costco for a couple hundred bucks. I'd like to see how much more power the gas powered washers have. You guys got me curious now...

Comment

Working...
                              X