X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockler Router Table

Has anyone here own or used the Rockler router table?

I was thinking of building my own, but with all the other house projects, I have more than enough to do. Besides, I'd still have to purchase the mounting plate and other accessories. The Rockler "Package 1" table seems to be nicely priced.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(I'll be away until Saturday afternoon, so hope to place the order after I return.)

TIA,

CWS

Re: Rockler Router Table

I don't own this table but I agree, it does look like a nice packaged deal. What router do you plan on hanging from the table? I'd be a little concerned that one of the big HP routers weight just might cause the 1-1/8" MDF table to sag a bit over time.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BD,

Thanks for the quick response. I have a Ryobi RE1802 3-base variable speed router and I purchased the Ridgid 2-base router several months ago. My first intentions are to mount the Ridgid, with it's fixed base, but I'm open to suggestions.

I will be building a table for this top and plan on providing additional support with aluminum or steel channel both just to the front and back of the router plate. I'll work out those details after I have whatever table top in my hands.

I've got to make the oak trim to finish off the new kitchen and I have a fireplace waiting for completely new woodwork (mantel, side cabinets, etc.). The latter will most likely be a late summer or early fall project.

CWS

Comment

I looked closely at the Rockler tables, but decided to build my own with some of their ideas. I bought their mounting plate (part #35265 Plate for Porter Cable 7529/690/693, Makita, Bosch & DeWalt*) to go with my R2930 ( works great for that purpose, btw) and I got a couple sets of tracks and doodads. I used a single layer of MDF for the top with some support braces running the width of the top. Lots of use and no sag so far. The only real issue with the 2930 in a table is the danged handles on the fixed base. I wanted my router to bolt up flush with the plate so I didn't lose any travel, so I had to do a little routing on the bottom side of the top (I didn't want to remove the handles).
        While I was researching router tables, a piece of advise showed up time and again; It isn't really any more cost effective to make one than buy one. The difference being, you get to personalize your own creation and making sawdust is fun.
        p.s. If you willl be using your table for joining, make sure you have a 2 piece fence and get the Rockler shims http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17189 or some something similar.
        Pat Warner has probably the best fence design I've come accross yet.
        http://www.patwarner.com/router_table.html
        Last edited by res057; 05-24-2007, 03:42 AM.
        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

res057,

Thanks for the reply and especiallyl the information on the proper mounting plate for the R2900. I wasn't sure which plate would fit and I wrote Ridgid to see if they could give me any information regarding mounting plate compatibility with Porter-Cable or other brands. The reply was that the unit was marketed for use as a regular upright router and no table mounting or compatibility information is available.

So thanks, I think I will proceed with the purchase!

I also had planned on building my own table, but after looking at the Rockler table top, figured it was worth looking at, especially in consideration of all the other rennovation projects I have. I'll still need to make the table legs, etc., but that's a much quicker project and more fitting with my current experience level.

Thanks again to you and Badger Dave for your help,

CWS

Comment

You're welcome. One thing that may sound like a "Duh...I knew that" is to experiment on the direction you want your router facing, such as the location of the power switch and the tightening clamp (there may be a better word for it out there) and height adjustment. THEN drill your hole through the plate for your through table heigth adjuster making sure you can use it when the fence is in close.
            ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Good point, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X