X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid dewalt RO sander

I have already replaced my dewalt RO with the ridgid model and like it much better, but would like to fix my yellow one for a back-up. I posted my problem the first time it pooped out and was steered toward replacing the brush that had cracked. A while later it stopped again and I tried replacing the other brush with the second one I bought in the pair. This time it didn't fix. I found out from my service place that they would charge more to look at it than it cost new, and since I lost the receipt I don't have warranty.

This sander has seen very little relative use. I got it new on Ebay. I would be interested in knowing what I should try as far as trouble shooting to get it up again, as much for the learning experience as for the benefit of it's use. I have had pretty bad luck with sanders in general as can be attested to by my frequent questions on fixing the things, but I really don't think I abuse my tools.

So, how about it power tool experts?
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: Stupid dewalt RO sander

Always replace brushes in pairs - not one at a time. Without seeing it, it's hard to say what's wrong with it. Might not be worth the effort to repair it since you can pick up a new ROS for $40-50.

Comment

If you have compressed air there, try removing the brushes and then giving a little blast into each brush holder. Then install a pair of new brushes. Newman has the idea that a basic R O Sander isn't worth putting too much into regarding repairs. The new ones aren't all that much $$$.

Comment

A good start is following power from the plug to the brushes with a volt meter. If you have power at the brushes then the armature likely has an open spot, if you rotate the motor so the brushes are touching another pair of commutators does the motor start? My guess would be that the switch is bad and it would be a blown triac in the switch (available at electronics stores) especially if it is a variable speed sander

Comment

The dewalt RO sanders have a problem with their switches, they get packed with dust. Check continuity on it. The cord, switch and brushes are about the only thing worth replacing on them. Check your date code if it is within 18 mos it will be wtty regardless of not haveing the receipt. the date code on most dewalts is a 6 digit number followed by 2 or 3 more numbers. the first 6 indicate the date it was made. it looks like this 200616-44f. the date would be the 16 week of 2006.

Comment

Garage sales are better this time of the year, might be able to find another one for $10.00.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
            X