Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid MS-UV .Old AC9940 vs. New AC9944?

Hi guy's!Newbie on the block.I picked up a Ridgid MS-UV at last weekends HD sale for $119.20 CDN.They claim in the flyer that it is a "special buy".More like it, they are clearing out the old stock of AC9940's to make room for the newer AC9944's.

When I got it home and started putting it together,I got to admit that I was a little dissappointed in the construction of this thing.The alignment on some of the welded parts sure makes one wonder about the quality control at the factory.With a high pressure pipe welding back ground,I could have done a better job on the weld alignments even after having downed a 40oz'er of Canadian Club .Do the welds hold?Yeah,sure they do but come on Ridgid......I think we can up the QC standards a little higher than that!Oh,yeah,the axle bolts didn't push all the way into the axle tubes as well either.This left the wheels rotating on the threaded portion of each axle bolt.Not good!I was too chicken to try and tap them in the rest of the way for fear of breaking something in the process.Bad QC all around.

I didn't even know that Ridgid had another newer stand out until I went looking for info on the older AC9940 and up pops this newer one.The newer one looks a lot simpler in design and probably requires less labour to produce.Is this the main reason for the newer design do you think?The newer design is sharing similiar features to other manufacturers stands such as Dewalt,Ryobi,Bosch with the added benefit of big wheels and mobility.There are a few things that I like about the new stand that come to mind right off the bat.The ability to completely remove the saw from the stand is a nice feature especially when you have to lift the whole thing off the ground by yourself with a bad back and it also allows you to slide the saw all the way down to one end of the stand or the other to increase the support distance if need be.It is not fixed in one location like it is on the AC9940.The extension arms also pull out differently and come out further than the older model(hopefully smoother as well.Mine are hard to slide in and out and droop badly without the leg support down).I thought the newer model might have did away with the gas cylinder lift idea in favour of some type of spring device but it seems it also has a gas cylinder to give out eventually as well.I'm also wondering about the warranty on this stand.How come the old one is just 3 years but the new one says 3 years plus a lifetime service agreement.Is this because this is a old stock MS-UV that I have (box sure was dusty and dirty to say the least)and the literature that came with it was printed prior to when the new "lifetime" policy was introduced?Is the new stand worth waiting for in your opinion because I really can't say yet.We're yet to see a AC9944 show up here at any HD store to be able to compare the two.Maybe you gents south of the border that have one or have seen one work can give me your opinions on what you think of this newer design.I'm seriously thinking about taking this older one back poosibly and waiting for the newer one to show up.......whenever .

Cheers!
    Turbo
    Last edited by Turbobeaver; 05-25-2007, 02:43 PM.

Re: Ridgid MS-UV .Old AC9940 vs. New AC9944?

They must be sending the rejects north to Canada. Mine has very well fitted parts with excellent welds. Shoot, it looks like a work of art. Although it's a coulpe of years old, the gas strut still operates flawlessly.My slides are very smooth and do not droop. It assembled very smooth too - no mallet necessary. Obviously not a Monday morning or Friday afternoon unit.
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Comment

Just got off the phone with Ridgid customer support and after talking to two different people,they tell me that the warranty on the MSUV is only 3 years........despite what is showing at their web site.The customer support people that I was talking to say they can't explain why it's showing Lifetime when it is actually only 3 years. They also said that they have anything to do with the web site or what is being shown on it.What!!!!!!!Yup,the monkeys are running the Zoo folks!!Seems like some of the Home Depot people can't figure out what the warranty is on this thing either.I've been to two different stores and one store claims the warranty is 3 years.The other store swears on a stack of bibles that it is "Lifetime" despite any other information that I may come across(internet included).If it showing "Lifetime" on the Ridgid web site then they should be honouring that claim to any people who bought under that pretense .Tell me this doesn't say "Lifetime Service Agreement" next to the "3 Year Warranty" claim as well?!Check it out here:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/AC9944-M...icle/index.htm

Comment

Looks like a mistake on the website to me. The MSUV has never qualified for LLSA protection. Come to think of it, about the only part on it that might wear out is the piston. It also seem likely that any defect in parts or workmanship would surface before the 3 Year Warranty expires.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave, it might have been under the LLSA but back in Nov. 2002 the website did say the AC9940 (which was listed as a new tool back then) was under the Full Lifetime Warranty. website may have been wrong back then too but you would think in 5 years Josh would have fixed something like that.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, I did a Search but couldn't come up with what I was looking for but I'm pretty sure that the subject of the MSUV and LLSA has come up before and either Josh or ProBrand stated that the MSUV was not covered under the LLSA.

The one in my eBox has always said 3 years.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I remember that thread about a year ago Dave and I believe you are correct.
              But I used my time machine to go back and look at the Nov. 23, 2002 Ridgid web apge for the AC9940 and there it is, the old Full Lifetime Warranty text when you click on the Warranty link on the page.

I have to wait for the flux capacitors to regenerate so I can't go back there now, but I will check it again tomorrow and try to bring back proof of which I speak. Sometimes the time machine does let the past carry forward in my travels.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I just bought the old one. When I tried to register it I can not find the MSUV as an item I can pick. So I guess there is no way to claim it as Lifetime.

Comment

I recently bought a well used AC9940 MSUV (I already have one for another miter saw, and liked it so much I bought another!)

Some paint and some parts, and the MSUV is looking pretty good. Only problem I'm having is replacing the 'Gas Spring'. The one that was on it was worn out and provided no 'lift' or 'closing' assistance. The new one I got from Ridgid looks exactly like the original, but I can't seem to compress it to bolt it into the table - it won't move at all! Is there a trick to this? I've tried putting in a large clamp, but piston will not budge.

RR

Comment

I had the old one when I lived in Michigan and thought it was great. The new MSUV is even better. has more features and is constructed better. I am looking for another set of saw support feet for it so I can interchange the saw and my new 13" planer.

Comment

Working...
                    X