X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita cordless compact reciprocating saw

Today at my job site, I saw a plumber using one of these to cut copper and ABS pipes. It looked pretty handy in the tight spots he was working. I asked him about it and he said he's had one for years. Have any of you guys seen a similar saw in a different brand, since I'm not too keen on Makita?

http://www.makita.com/assets_product/4390DW/4390d_l.jpg

Re: Makita cordless compact reciprocating saw

Milwaukee has one similar called the "Hatchet", however it has a handle configuration much like a cordless drill instead of inline like the makina.

Not sure if anyone else make something similar. You could probalby find a "knockoff" from China/Taiwan somewhere though.

REgards,

Comment

I somewhat stand corrected, my brother just informed we that we had one (Milwaukee Hatchet) in the plumbing shop tool crib.
      I looked at it and the handle can be moved to a inline position. It has many stops in between as well. and the battery is revesible, it can be turned around if needed for clearance. IT is 18 volts.

I never knew that we had one, it's slick.

Regards,

Comment

The Makita is compact and I guess it could be handy. It does require special blades and that's one reason I would not want one. It's also a little weener of a tool next to a corded Sawzall. I would give the Milwaukee Hatchet model a good looking over before buying either.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192148_192137

If you have a high speed internet connection, try the video demos for it. The handle can be set to 6 positions. It uses regular shank recip. blades. It has enough gut to get work done. The Makita (have seen and tried one) is smaller and lighter weight, but it's too much a toy if you're a corded Sawzall user.

For small and hard to access work, this is what I really like. http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...0028&langId=-1 No battery needed.

Comment

I have the Makita. It's 9.6 volt IIRC. I also have a companion Makita drill that I got about the same time. One thing nice is that you can still get batteries for them, which is a bit surprising given their age. The Makita is handy in a niche sort of way. It does NOT have the muscle to do much. I ended up using it mostly to trim tree limbs.

Comment

there's a black and ecker one kind of like that one but its probably not that great

Comment

Yeah the B&D is junk...

Comment

Working...
              X