X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Wixie for my birthday

Well, my "hint" email and link that I sent to my wife worked. I got my Wixie for my birthday Sunday. That is one slick gadget. Quick and accurate.

LOL, just realized i'm logged in under the wrong name AGAIN!!!! Oh well. It's tough getttin old!

Re: Got a Wixie for my birthday

Ok, finally got that figured out!

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmark View Post
      Well, my "hint" email and link that I sent to my wife worked. I got my Wixie for my birthday Sunday. That is one slick gadget. Quick and accurate.

LOL, just realized i'm logged in under the wrong name AGAIN!!!! Oh well. It's tough getttin old!
      First off happy birthday and secondly how far off were your blades/fences?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, did you break down and buy one yet? If not what are you waiting for. This is probably one of the best gadgets out there for the shop. I see that Beall has one now too.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/measuring/tiltbox.php

They say it is the original, but I never heard of it until recently. The Wixey I have had since Christmas, and I know it was on the market last Fall. When the Beall appeared I do not know, but it is the same price though with some differences in features that you may want to consider before buying one or the other.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

One caveat on the inclinometer: make sure that is oriented in the same plane to both items checked. In other words, Make sure it is square to the blade when you check the table, and square to the table when you check the blade. Otherwise you get into this compound angle errror thingy Hopefully this is in the instructions, but beings my LOML hasn't picked up on the clues yet, I don't have one, so don't know.!!

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Hi Mark, Mark here.

It came in right in time. I"m building a huge entertainment center (8'-6" wide by 10'-5" tall) I needed to angle cut the top of each side so the arched top fit properly with no gap on the inside. The angle was 17 1/2 degrees. I used the Wixey to set my saw and actually my pointer was darn close! But the Wixie is VERY close. The sides and arched top fit perfectly.

Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I got one for my birthday too... in March. What a cool and handy gadget! It's so simple to use and works darn well IMO. I can get "close" with a square and an analog angle gauge, but multiply "close" x 4 and your way off on a frame. "Close" isn't in the same league as 0.1 degrees.

Hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Bob,
                What are the differences in features? I read about both and they seem identical to me.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael, I saw this over at WoodNet, this guy gives a very detailed review of the Beall Angle Gauge.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the link.
                    If I am reading the review correctly, it would appear the difference is essentially zero. A matter of preference more than anything.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Woodmeister Mark: The entertainment center is impressive. Great looking joinery, and the arch looks like it was done perfectly! Are the main panels ply or glue-ups? What finish are you planning for it?

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor....Thanks.

the sheets are 3/4" Chinese Birch 13 ply. First time using it. When I went to get maple, it was horrible! Streaked and spaulted. Customer wanted clear if at all possible. The finish is just clear lacquer to match the kitchen, which is in the same big room. TV is a 53" I believe.

That stinking arch took me 2 days to layout and build. Screwed up the first one! LOL Had the rise wrong.

When I had the top frame built, I measured it and it was 98" tall. Something seemed curious so I called the customer and had them measure the front door, 95 1/2"!!!!!!!!! OOps!!! Had to shorted the top section and make the base taller. Fortunetly, all I had was the pieces for the base cut and not assembled. It's almost ready for finish. Hoping to have it done by the end of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                          Bob,
                          What are the differences in features? I read about both and they seem identical to me.
                          Hi,

I read the writeup on Woodnet, but even though I have not used the Beall I think I would stick with the Wixey.

I like having the 9V battery in the Beall but not sure about the increased size to accommodate it.

The Wixey uses a CR2032 button battery which is available many, many places and is about 1/3 the cost of a 9V battery.

I like the side magnets on the Beall but I like having magnets on the base too. Ideally all four sides would be good. I think I might try trimming down a business card magnet and putting that on the side of my Wixey.

Nothing wrong in my eyes with a pendulum type sensor. Nothing more accurate than gravity. I'd be interested to hear how the Beall works w/o using gravity. There's not enough room in the little box for much else.

I like that the Wixey reads 90 when its on my TS blade and not zero like the Beall. I bought this gizmo so I wouldn't have to think about the angles, I don't want to have to figure out if I want the Beall to read 60 when I want to make a 30 deg. cut or vice versa. KISS !

I like that the Wixey powers up into the only mode that it has. Another example of KISS. I don't have to push this or that button or stand on my head to get to relative measurement mode, the Wixey is always there. If I want to measure something for level I will use a level and not this little box.

I like that the Beall is metal, should help with longevity and to guard against damage. But is it all metal all around, I don't know. The Wixey is a metal (aluminum) case with black plastic face and back pieces.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob,
                            I like your review better.
                            Wixey it is.
                            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Although I have not read the specs on it yet, I got an email the other day from Woodcraft advertising a newer version of the Wixey angle gauge. I notice it has a third button on it. Anyone out there seen it yet?
                              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Working...
                              X