Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

I agree with the above post by Velosapien - no drill is designed to do everything well. In order to cover my job needs, I have several types of cordless drills to fit the application at hand. My coworker and I had the task of installing clamps into stucco siding and he had his new Makita compact drill and we were all jazzed about using it. However, once we got started, it didn't take long to realize that we had the wrong tool as it had no hammer function and we lost a day because of the wrong tool. I have Ridgid screw drivers, hammer drills, and am considering rounding out the set by getting the mid-size 18v lithium-ion and realize that I'll use all of them dependent on the job application.

Comment

So, Josh, or another Ridgid administrator......

Still no responses from you guys about the issues previously discussed, huh??!!

For example, what's the story with the "carbide chuck" issue?

And are we for sure going to get an "on paper" confirmation that the LI 18V batteries that come with this unit are indeed 2.9 Ah, as we've been getting told?

It would be nice to get a confirmation of some of these issues. This forum is here for a reason....please participate in your own venture. Thank you.
      Last edited by canucksartech; 07-25-2007, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Still waiting for a clarification.....

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          So, Josh, or another Ridgid administrator......

Still no responses from you guys about the issues previously discussed, huh??!!

For example, what's the story with the "carbide chuck" issue?

And are we for sure going to get an "on paper" confirmation that the LI 18V batteries that come with this unit are indeed 2.9 Ah, as we've been getting told?

It would be nice to get a confirmation of some of these issues. This forum is here for a reason....please participate in your own venture. Thank you.

Unless the 18v li-on is a different chemistry, I have my doubts they are 2.9AH. The 24 volt lithium are a lot bigger by comparison and are rated at 3.0AH.
          http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

That's what is being told through various sources (Ridgid rep, Ridgid customer service, Ridgid technical support, Ridgid repair centers, various online reviews, etc.). Just nothing on paper yet - especially not anything on/with the tool itself. Frustrating.

Comment

just 4 the record i could see the 18 volt being 2.9.i have a hitachi lithium ion and it is a 3.0 but well have to wait 4 clarification i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by stateraized View Post
                just 4 the record i could see the 18 volt being 2.9.i have a hitachi lithium ion and it is a 3.0 but well have to wait 4 clarification i guess.

Are the Hitachi batteries of similiar size to the 18 volt RIDGID?
                http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

This is a duplicate of something I posted in another thread. Want to be sure the Ridgid 18 volt compact LiIon threads have accurate info. Appears the battery is now 1.5Ah vs. the 2.9Ah Ridgid originally informed us.

Based on that I posted this:

I just did some comparisons of Ridgid's 18 volt "compact" drill vs. some competitors.

First lets look at weight.

Ridgid 18 volt compact = 4 lbs. 5 ounces.
                  Panasonic 14.4 volt = 3 lbs. 10 ounces.
                  Makita 18 volt compact = 3lbs. 9 ounces.
                  Hitachi 18 volt compact = 3 lbs 11 ounces.

Battery total power = Voltage x Ah

Ridgid, Makita and Hitachi = 27
                  Panasonic = 43

Max. Torque in.lb

Ridgid = 455
                  Makita = 450 (there have been reviews that say this number is optimistic)
                  Panasonic = 390
                  Hitachi = 374

Size - Length from chuck tip to back of motor

Panasonic = 8"
                  Ridgid = 9 3/4"
                  Makita = 8"
                  Hitachi = 9"** **Very approximate...need to recheck.

Features

Ridgid: worklight and bit holder
                  Makita: worklight
                  Panasonic: worklight and belt hook
                  Hitachi: belt hook and bit holder

Price, alone and in kit with impact
                  Ridgid: $180
                  Makita: $200, $270
                  Hitachi: $180
                  Panasonic: $270, $360

I bought the Panasonic kit. At the time, for me, it was the best compromise of weight, size, runtime and durability. I probably would have bought the Makita kit, if it had been available at the time.

Bottom line: The Ridgid compact drill is not that compact. Nor is it an great value compared to the competitive offerings...especially compared to the Makita kit that includes an impact driver.
                  Last edited by Disaster; 10-03-2007, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Teresa from tech support and respectfull told her that I did not appreciate the misinformation. I also said that 1.5AH is worthless for most of the people using these tools. IF Ryobi can offer a 2.4AH Lithium Ion batery then Ridgid can certainly do better. She said they were already getting some negative feedback. I urge anyone reading this to please call Ridgid tech support and give them your thoughts regarding this weak and disappointing product. Thanks.

Comment

• Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

I understand from reading the posts here that the compact 18v lithium batteries can be used with any of the MaxSelect tools. However, I haven't seen any comments about the reverse. That is, what happens if you try to use a 24v XLi battery with the compact drill?

Comment

Originally posted by ferchl View Post
                        I understand from reading the posts here that the compact 18v lithium batteries can be used with any of the MaxSelect tools. However, I haven't seen any comments about the reverse. That is, what happens if you try to use a 24v XLi battery with the compact drill?
                        The compact drill is an 18 volt tool. You can't use the 24 volt batteries with it. You can however, use the large 18 volt NiCad batteries...but then it wouldn't be very compact.

There is a rumor that Ridgid will soon be releasing a larger 18 volt Lithium battery which, of course, would also be compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by ferchl View Post
                          It won't work. The tabs for the locking mechanism are slightly different on the 24 volt XLi batteries, compared to the 18 volt batteries. The MaxSelect tools have two sets of notches in them where the battery slides in, so that they can accept both types of batteries. This drill does not - it only has the notches to allow it to accept the 18 volt batteries only. So, it was not designed to be a MaxSelect tool, and work not with both battery voltages, only the 18 volt ones.
                          Last edited by canucksartech; 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                            The compact drill is an 18 volt tool. You can't use the 24 volt batteries with it. You can however, use the large 18 volt NiCad batteries...but then it wouldn't be very compact.

There is a rumor that Ridgid will soon be releasing a larger 18 volt Lithium battery which, of course, would also be compatible.
                            Hopefully this is more than a rumor as ProBrand seems to have put an official blessing on it. See below post from another thread. Happy Holidays......
                            11-13-2007, 07:24 AM
                            ProBrand
                            Moderator Join Date: Nov 2005

Re: No Higher AH 18 volt Lithium, Ridgid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to try and bury information but I happen to be reading this thread and can answer some of these:

Bigger Ah on the way, yes we generally wait until the release is closer and our people are following the rules by holding back, even here (we can only assume our competitors troll the forum, right?), but what the heck...

Yes, I need to get the small compressor on the site. My fault on that one.

Hope everyone is well and thanks for supporting RIDGID.

Comment

Working...
                            X