X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

I believe it was $179. I had a $10 coupon, so that helped. The drill comes with a single charger and 2 batteries, plus a bag, which is similar to the 24v kit bag but smaller. Like I said, the batteries are really small. They look identical to the Makita lithium batteries. And the drill does include a bit holder on the back. I'm not sure if the bit holder is useful or not. Also, the drill has an LED light, just like the Makita tools. I compared both the compact drill and the regular 24v drill side by side and the compact drill is shorter. Just picture the 24v drill without the chuck. That's about the length of the drill. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. The batteries did have a charge on them when I took them out of the box. I'm hopefully thinking that they were charged because of the quality assurance testing. Hope this helps.

Comment

bought one this morning. fairly nice sized drill. it does not compare at all to the makita compact whatsoever. and trust me i am a ridgid guy, i own just about doubles if not triples of every ridgid cordless tool. dont get me wrong it is a nice drill and is compact and i like it very much. batteries are pretty small but not as small as the makitas. and buy the way the batteries work in every ridgid cordless tool i have tried them in, even the 18 volt nicads. it is worth buying to get the batteries alone.

Comment

Stabb, what are your cons? Is the run time good?

Comment

run times are great, just really isnt as compact as the makita drill. more like a mid size next to the makita. definately worth buying though. batteries work in everything i have tried them in

Comment

Staab - do you own the 24v kit. If so, would you still keep them or go for the Makita LXT set? I also found the Makita compact drill to be smaller and lighter, but as far as build quality, they look pretty much the same.

Comment

I have most 24v/maxselect tools and needed a smaller drill, I felt this was the way to go. Now, having the option to use either battery in the tool. The cost of a single L-ion 18v battery is about $125 ,so the drill is basicly free.

Comment

By the way, I noticed on the compact drill that the chuck cover is plastic, not metal like the 24v drill version. I wonder if this part of the design to keep the weight down. Also, the trigger is plastic, not rubber like the 24v version. I didn't pay attention to the Makita version. I hope they didn't take any short cuts on the design. Maybe someone who owns the Makita version will chime in.

Comment

The Makita compact uses the same chuck as their bigger drill, jacobs 5000. The only difference is they compact uses the plastic sleeved version instead of the metal sleeved one on the bigger drill. It probably cuts costs and saves a little weight.

Comment

Thanks. By the way, do you know if the chuck on the Ridgid drills is of the same quality? The drills feel really solid, but I'm no expert and I'm not sure of the gear quality, design, etc.

Comment

Chucks are pretty much the same among most drills. They don't actually make the chucks, they buy them from someone like Jacobs or Rohm who specialize in chucks. I'm pretty sure most of the chucks on Ridgid drills are made by either of these companies and is of the same model as that found in Dewalt, Makita and others.

Comment

Looking at the picure of the compact drill its a Jacobs 5000 chuck with plastic sleeve, exactly the same as the the compact Makita. I'm not sure about the 24v drill. I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm at HD.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                          Staab - do you own the 24v kit. If so, would you still keep them or go for the Makita LXT set? I also found the Makita compact drill to be smaller and lighter, but as far as build quality, they look pretty much the same.
                          i own 2-24 volt sets i would not trade them for makitas, even though i have the makitas also. makita makes a smaller and more ergonomic drill than ridgid, but ridgid makes all of their cordless tools really heavy duty, in my opinion makitas saws are for homeowners. and by the way makita does not make a drill that compares to the ridgid 24 volt. the makita compact drill is awesome, probably my favorite drill to use, but im starting to warm up to my ridgid compact. like i said in my previous posts, the compact is worth buying for the batteries alone, they work in everything.

Comment

I could not decide on either the Ridgid or the Makita compact lithium so I bought both, knowing I would only keep one. I have the Ridgid 9.6v screwdriver, and the 12v right angle impact and love them both. I have no Ridgid 18/24 volt tools so I was not influenced by battery compatibility. I also have Ryobi cordless drills but they are weak, slow, and clumsy for the work I do and the batteries, well, you know. The Ryobi's are slowly being converted to full time paint mixers except for the impact driver.

I was looking for the lightest Lithium drill possible to use when my Ridgid corded drill is too much. I use my tools to build furniture in my garage so my needs are not those of professional tradesman. Here are some of my thoughts on both.

Ridgid 18v lithium compact $179.00:
                            Very solid and durable feel, but kind of heavy for a what I would consider "compact" especially with the lighter lithium battery. The Makita is 3.5 lbs w/batt. and the Ridgid feels around a pound or so heavier. There is a lot of metal used in the front of the housing lending to its very solid feel. The box advertises a "carbide" chuck, but it is actually a standard Jacobs 500 chuck w/o carbide teeth. Frankly, I could not tell if it was a metal sleeve or just very solid/shiny plastic. The motor is on the loud side but on par with other Ridgids I've used or own. The battery is very light, and only slightly bulkier than the Makita compact (1.5 amp). I could not find any documentation in the entire package to indicate the amp hr rating. The Ridgid feels top heavy due to its very solid construction vs. the very light battery. The variable speed is very smooth with one "surge" at the end when the max. rpm's or reached. The headlight only comes on when the drill is on. I really like this drill, it is bound to be a very popular tool.

Makita Compact lithium $199.00:
                            Very very light drill and approx. an inch shorter than the Ridgid. The Makita does not feel as solid as the Ridgid. The Makita motor is slightly more quiet than the Ridgid. The Makita is very well balanced in any position. The variable speed is not nearly as smooth as the Ridgid in either speed. The Makita changes speed in about 7-8 "steps" in the #2 speed. The Makita's top speed is also slower (0-400/0-1500 rpm) as opposed to Ridgid's 0-450/0-1600. The chuck is a standard Jacobs 500 with an obviously (and cheap looking) plastic sleeve. The headlight comes on when the drill is on, but stays on for several seconds after the trigger is released. I thought that was pretty handy.

Conclusion:
                            Overall the build quality is roughly equal in either drill. However, it is apparent that Makita went for a compact and super-light drill, while Ridgid went for a relatively compact yet very solid drill.

Man, what a tough choice. I was on the market for the lightest lithium drill I could find, so after agonizing for a long while, I kept the Makita for its extremely light weight and excellent balance.

If I was making my living with this drill, I'd have probably kept the Ridgid because the dang thing looks and feels pretty much bullet proof, and the top speeds are slightly faster. I wish I could keep both but I am saving for the new Ridgid benchtop planer (R4330) due out soon.

Thanks,
                            Ern
                            Last edited by erngum; 06-29-2007, 06:22 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                              I could not decide on either the Ridgid or the Makita compact lithium so I bought both, knowing I would only keep one. I have the Ridgid 9.6v screwdriver, and the 12v right angle impact and love them both. I have no Ridgid 18/24 volt tools so I was not influenced by battery compatibility. I also have Ryobi cordless drills but they are weak, slow, and clumsy for the work I do and the batteries, well, you know. The Ryobi's are slowly being converted to full time paint mixers except for the impact driver.

I was looking for the lightest Lithium drill possible to use when my Ridgid corded drill is too much. I use my tools to build furniture in my garage so my needs are not those of professional tradesman. Here are some of my thoughts on both.

Ridgid 18v lithium compact $179.00:
                              Very solid and durable feel, but kind of heavy for a what I would consider "compact" especially with the lighter lithium battery. The Makita is 3.5 lbs w/batt. and the Ridgid feels around a pound or so heavier. There is a lot of metal used in the front of the housing lending to its very solid feel. The box advertises a "carbide" chuck, but it is actually a standard Jacobs 500 chuck w/o carbide teeth. Frankly, I could not tell if it was a metal sleeve or just very solid/shiny plastic. The motor is on the loud side but on par with other Ridgids I've used or own. The battery is very light, and only slightly bulkier than the Makita compact (1.5 amp). I could not find any documentation in the entire package to indicate the amp hr rating. The Ridgid feels top heavy due to its very solid construction vs. the very light battery. The variable speed is very smooth with one "surge" at the end when the max. rpm's or reached. The headlight only comes on when the drill is on. I really like this drill, it is bound to be a very popular tool.

Makita Compact lithium $199.00:
                              Very very light drill and approx. an inch shorter than the Ridgid. The Makita does not feel as solid as the Ridgid. The Makita motor is slightly more quiet than the Ridgid. The Makita is very well balanced in any position. The variable speed is not nearly as smooth as the Ridgid in either speed. The Makita changes speed in about 7-8 "steps" in the #2 speed. The Makita's top speed is also slower (0-400/0-1500 rpm) as opposed to Ridgid's 0-450/0-1600. The chuck is a standard Jacobs 500 with an obviously (and cheap looking) plastic sleeve. The headlight comes on when the drill is on, but stays on for several seconds after the trigger is released. I thought that was pretty handy.

Conclusion:
                              Overall the build quality is roughly equal in either drill. However, it is apparent that Makita went for a compact and super-light drill, while Ridgid went for a relatively compact yet very solid drill.

Man, what a tough choice. I was on the market for the lightest lithium drill I could find, so after agonizing for a long while, I kept the Makita for its extremely light weight and excellent balance.

If I was making my living with this drill, I'd have probably kept the Ridgid because the dang thing looks and feels pretty much bullet proof, and the top speeds are slightly faster. I wish I could keep both but I am saving for the new Ridgid benchtop planer (R4330) due out soon.

Thanks,
                              Ern

i dont think you could go wrong with either drill honestly. it just depends on what it is used for. i own both and i am keeping both.

Comment

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
                                i own 2-24 volt sets i would not trade them for makitas, even though i have the makitas also. makita makes a smaller and more ergonomic drill than ridgid, but ridgid makes all of their cordless tools really heavy duty, in my opinion makitas saws are for homeowners. and by the way makita does not make a drill that compares to the ridgid 24 volt. the makita compact drill is awesome, probably my favorite drill to use, but im starting to warm up to my ridgid compact. like i said in my previous posts, the compact is worth buying for the batteries alone, they work in everything.

Makita has sort of been hinting at 24v or similar but for now their LXT stuff is selling so well they are in no hurry. In the 18v range though the Makita tools are close to the top spot in many respects (with the exception of the reciprocating saw which is junk).
                                It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison comparing Makita 18v to the Ridgid 24v in the same way its not the same to compare Dewalt 36v to Ridgid's 24v. The 24v tools are clearly a heavier duty group than the Makita LXT.

Comment

Working...
                                X