X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

Thanks for the great information. I guess I was just getting discouraged because I have seen so many contractors in the neigborhood using Dewalt. The XRP set looks really good, but I wouldn't use the tools enough and then I would have to worry about the longevity of the 18v Nicads. Many of the big box stores and Amazon have been running some good deals on Dewalt and Makita, so I have been a bit tempted.

I have to admit that I was a bit swayed by the Ridgid lifetime warranty. I know that it has taken some people longer to get their tools turned around, but I have a hard time believing that Ridigid wouldn't stand behind their warranty.

By the way, is there a big need to have both a compact drill and an impact driver? I really don't want to buy both, but I already picked up the compact drill for the 18v batteries. I think that Makita has a 4 or 5 piece kit that includes a drill and impact driver. If not, I will have to take a look at the Ridgid impact driver.
    Last edited by brianss; 06-29-2007, 09:49 PM.

Comment

i own the impact, but you will need it to go with your compact drill if you plan on putting in alot of long deck screws, or plan on heavy work. i would venture to say the compact drill would do fine, but you may want to get the impact also. just depends on what you want to do with it

Comment

Are you happy with the feel and build quality of the Ridgid impact driver? Also, do you know how the weight compares to other brnads like the Makita or Dewalt impact driver? The Makita impact looks really light and small. I'm not sure why Ridgid doesn't post the weight of this tool on the site.

Comment

Staab,
          have you tried the max select impact driver w/18v batteries? Is there much of a difference in performance from the 24v?

Thanks,
          Ern

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
            Are you happy with the feel and build quality of the Ridgid impact driver? Also, do you know how the weight compares to other brnads like the Makita or Dewalt impact driver? The Makita impact looks really light and small. I'm not sure why Ridgid doesn't post the weight of this tool on the site.
            yes i am happy with the impact driver, it is very heavy duty. it is quite a bit heavier than the makita and probably about the same as the dewalt 18 volt. im not sure what the ridgid weighs but it is alot more than the makita.

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
              Staab,
              have you tried the max select impact driver w/18v batteries? Is there much of a difference in performance from the 24v?

Thanks,
              Ern
              yes i have tried them. they basically work the same except for run time.

Comment

basically if you want truly compact tools, the makita is it. the ridgids are more of a larger compact to a medium sized tool. but if you already own ridgid cordless tools you would be crazy not to buy this drill for the batteries alone. they will work in all of your 18 and 24v tools.

Comment

Ridgid's cordless tools are usually very well built but it does come at a cost in weight. Ridgid cordless is typically among the heaviest, if not THE heaviest when it comes to cordless. If what you're looking is lightweight and compact size Makita is the only way to go.

Comment

Staab - Couple more quick questions... Based on your logo, it looks like you have your own construction company. 1) Have your Ridgid tools held up to everyday use out on the job? 2) Do you know how the build quality compares to Dewalt, since they have been around forever in the cordless tool area? 3) Did you ever get back your lifetime warranty information or have you had to use it yet? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by brianss View Post
                      Staab - Couple more quick questions... Based on your logo, it looks like you have your own construction company. 1) Have your Ridgid tools held up to everyday use out on the job? 2) Do you know how the build quality compares to Dewalt, since they have been around forever in the cordless tool area? 3) Did you ever get back your lifetime warranty information or have you had to use it yet? Thanks.
                      1)yes i have my own construction company and you can beat the crap out of these tools aand they keep on going.
                      2)i actually switched from dewalt to ridgid, and it had nothing to do with price. it was because dewalt batteries dont even compare to a ridgid battery. dewalt tools are more ergonomic than ridgid though.
                      3)never had to use it and i own tons of ridgid tools

Comment

What I want to know is why it is already discontinued. I tried to get one today. They put them on clearance for 129 and know they are gone even the display and no HD in the area has any. I bet they come back cheaper with one battery. What a pain. How about just selling some batteries?

Comment

I believe the one on clearance is the 18v ni-cad drill, the local H.D. did the same here to make room for the new L-ion drill. The H.D.'s in my area sold out the 18v L-ion in less than 24hours, so it would be unlikely discontinued so soon.

Comment

I worked on a makita the other day and i like how they are built.I like the fact that the motor is accessible.the brushring was broke.the next day i worked on the hitachi,almost identical,motor parts execept the shapes.I would take either of these over the dewalt.the dewalt is na good inpact,but it has a sealed motor.the most problems i see is the motor burnning up suposed to the makita as they have more switch problems.but all that said dewalt is the king of sales in the cordless tool industrie.
                            A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

I was at HD over the weekend and compared the weight and feel of the various cordless tools. I have to admit that the Ridgid lithium tools feel rock solid. I think the key is finding a good balance between weight and durability. My local HD store had no 18v lithium compact drills in stock. Although, they had a couple when I bought mine last week. Hopefully, this is a good sign that they are selling good.

Comment

Firstly, I just want to say that I've been looking at this forum for quite a bit for answers to some of my problems/headaches. Very helpful, and great info posted by all (even considering the vagueness and lack of info that comes from the Ridgid reps on here, aka ProBrand, and others - come on, Ridgid, all you need is to get a half decent marketing and customer service department - you have the product, now get the service in gear).

But this is in regards to the new 18V lithium ion drills. They are awesome looking tools. I was at my local HD yesterday to check this item out, and they were all sold out except for a display one that they were playing with at the contractor's desk. I wanted to find out what the Ah rating was, and it didn't say anywhere on the box, or even on the battery anywhere, let alone in the manual. So the guys at the contractor's desk started calling Ridgid Tech Support, and they found out that it is indeed 2.9 Ah. Then I saw a listing on eBay this morning - same thing, 2.9 Ah. So I just called Ridgid three separate times (just to make sure), and each time I was informed of the same number - 2.9 Ah. Now, since I didn't get 10 different answers for asking the same question 10 different times, and it was always the same answer, I'm betting that Ridgid maybe/finally/hopefully got their crap together, and that this number is the real deal. Sounds awesome, as I was amazed at how light the stinkin' thing was - the drill itself isn't overly smaller than the standard 18V 1/2" drill (only maybe an inch shorter end-to-end and front-to-back), but it's the weight that makes all the difference. Still very comparable torque and speed ratings, too.

I saw it on Ebay this morning (eBay item number 290135652406). I hate how HD can't keep it's own shelves stocked of stuff like this, even considering the special arrangement that Ridgid and HD have. If more don't get to the stores ASAP, I might actually spend the extra money to get it off of eBay.

Comment

Working...
                                X