X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

Firstly, I just want to say that I've been looking at this forum for quite a bit for answers to some of my problems/headaches. Very helpful, and great info posted by all (even considering the vagueness and lack of info that comes from the Ridgid reps on here, aka ProBrand, and others - come on, Ridgid, all you need is to get a half decent marketing and customer service department - you have the product, now get the service in gear).

But this is in regards to the new 18V lithium ion drills. They are awesome looking tools. I was at my local HD yesterday to check this item out, and they were all sold out except for a display one that they were playing with at the contractor's desk. I wanted to find out what the Ah rating was, and it didn't say anywhere on the box, or even on the battery anywhere, let alone in the manual. So the guys at the contractor's desk started calling Ridgid Tech Support, and they found out that it is indeed 2.9 Ah. Then I saw a listing on eBay this morning - same thing, 2.9 Ah. So I just called Ridgid three separate times (just to make sure), and each time I was informed of the same number - 2.9 Ah. Now, since I didn't get 10 different answers for asking the same question 10 different times, and it was always the same answer, I'm betting that Ridgid maybe/finally/hopefully got their crap together, and that this number is the real deal. Sounds awesome, as I was amazed at how light the stinkin' thing was - the drill itself isn't overly smaller than the standard 18V 1/2" drill (only maybe an inch shorter end-to-end and front-to-back), but it's the weight that makes all the difference. Still very comparable torque and speed ratings, too.

I saw it on Ebay this morning (eBay item number 290135652406). I hate how HD can't keep it's own shelves stocked of stuff like this, even considering the special arrangement that Ridgid and HD have. If more don't get to the stores ASAP, I might actually spend the extra money to get it off of eBay.

Comment

I just bought the R86006 Saturday night at HD for $179.00, after the motor on my $40 14.4V Black and Decker started smoking and then stopped running, and I love it.

I used it to finish building a play set for my son. I probably used it to put in about 600 3" decking screws and pre-drill 20 or so holes for 3/8" lag screws. And I never bogged down once and the batteries lasted for a long time, I think that I changed batteries twice all day Sunday and that was it. Other thing I like about the Lithium-Ion Drill is that it gives you full power until the battery is out of power.

Only problem I had with the drill was when I put in a Dewalt 7/64" titanium drill bit to pre-drill some holes for some screws and the bit kept on slipping out of the chuck. But, I am thinking that I was more the bit than it was the drill.

Overall, this is a great drill at a great price. I can't wait for my other B&D tools to crap out on me so I can get a few more cordless tools with Lithium batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by willow1 View Post

Overall, this is a great drill at a great price. I can't wait for my other B&D tools to crap out on me so I can get a few more cordless tools with Lithium batteries.

you dont have to wait... i have a whole garage full of perfectly fine dewalt tools that i replaced with ridgid

Comment

Ridgiduser - I couldn't agree with you more. I have repeatedly said that Ridgid's customer service and marketing department needs serious help. I am very disappointed with that part of the company. That being said, I would definitely hold out for the tools instead of using eBay. I can't believe how many people overpay for tools on eBay. Unless you desperately need the tool, I would just wait a few days. You would be surprised how many shipments HD get's in during the week.

Comment

By the way, I stopped at HD during lunch today and finally got a chance to compare the Makita and Ridgid impact drivers, along with their drills. As staab and others have alluded to, the Makita is definitely lighter. But for some reason, the Makita also felt cheaper as compared to the Ridgid. I'm sure this is to keep the weight down. Also, it doesn't look like the batteries on the Makita compact drill are transferable to their regular 18v lithium tools. Without looking at the inside of these units, I can't really tell the difference. I'm just hoping that the extra weight in the Ridgid means better durability in the long run.

Comment

the makita compact batteries do not fit the full size tools, the full size batteries fit the compact tools though. i have heard of some people filing off a tab on the compact battery to make it fit the full size tools.

Comment

I picked up one the other day when I was at the Big Orange Box, as a gift for my dad. Wicked tool. I got a chance to play around with it a little bit. Definitely seems to be better built than the Makita, which may account for the extra weight. But at the same time, lots of power, and just a very solid tool. I will be picking up one for myself soon, to replace my standard 18V 1/2" drill - the new lithium one is just a little bit lighter and smaller, but if you look still has slightly better performance numbers than the standard 18V 1/2" drill. And the obvious plus - lithium ion, and the batteries fit all of my MaxSelect tools. Can't wait. I too am thinking about the eBay option, if my local HD doesn't get them in soon (they're actually not yet released in Canada, and apparently won't be until later on this fall - crap!). Hopefully I can still find one on a shelf at a HD next time I go across the border!

Comment

It would be nice to see Ridgid run some sort of sale. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Ridgid tool at a special sale price. Most of the HD stores around me have done a pretty bad job of showcasing these tools. As a matter of fact, the store by me has plenty of the 24v 4-piece sets sitting on the top shelf. I doubt that any of the orange aprons will be pulling them down. Oh well, I guess Ridgid must be doing fine as-is.

Comment

the last ridgid sale i know of was last christmas

Comment

I had the chance to go into my local Home Depot here in town, in Ontario, Canada, and had the chance to talk to my buddy at the contractor's desk. Apparently, the Ridgid stock number (R86006) and the HD SKU number are sitting on their system, ready, but not yet activated. The price for the 18 volt Compact Lithium-Ion drill for us here in Canada will be $249.95 CAD when it is released. That's quite a hefty price hike for us here, considering that it's retailing at HD's in the U.S. for $179.95, and with the exchange rate being what it is right now, that's only about $199 CAD.

Plus we have to pay more tax here - 14%!

But one of the biggest kickers may be the timeline. From what my rep told me, this new 18V lithium ion drill was released in most major U.S. markets on Father's Day. But for us here in Canada, it looks like it won't be released here until <gasp> Labour Day weekend at the earliest, and Christmas at the latest!

I think I may have to take a sick day and make the 1 hour drive across the border to either Detroit or Port Huron, Michigan, to pick one up once those HD's get more in.

Comment

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
                        the last ridgid sale i know of was last christmas
                        We've had constant sales of Ridgid stuff over the last little bit here in Canada. For about the last month, the standard 18 volt 1/2" cordless drill (standard kit, with 2 batteries, charger, and contractor's bag), have been on sale here. Normal retail price for these are tagged at $249.95, but I've seen them on sale down to $189.95 once every 2 or 3 months or so. But for about the 3 weeks now, they've been on sale for $99. My local HD has got a pyramid display of them, about 30 units.

But, typical that Ridgid/HD would only put them on sale right before releasing the nice new one. I wish they would start doing something of a sale once in a while with the MaxSelect stuff. I want to pick up the jigsaw and the recip saw, but it would be nice to be able to get them for a couple bucks off.

If only - keep on dreamin', right?!

Comment

canucksartech - Next time I stop in at my local HD store, I will let you know how many they have in stock and maybe you can order one online from one of those stores. I have about 5 HD stores about 5-10 miles apart from me. I'm not sure why we have so many, but there is allot of new homes in the area. I'm not sure I would over-pay for these tools. I just assume buy some other brand on Amazon, like Makita. There are so many good brands out there.

Comment

brianss - sounds good. Thanks - any info is always appreciated. Yeah, I thought about the Makita route, as they are easier to get (not just at HD and on eBay). But I use them at my work, and for lack of a long story, I'd rather not buy them. Besides, I don't like my tools to remind me of my work - the ones I have at home are supposed to be for fun time!

Comment

I would like to get the 18V 1/2" Hammer Drill and was wondering if you can use the 18V lithium batteries with it?

Comment

Originally posted by willow1 View Post
                                I would like to get the 18V 1/2" Hammer Drill and was wondering if you can use the 18V lithium batteries with it?

yes you can

Comment

Working...
                                X