X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

I got finally got to see the drill at the store today and play around with it for a bit. Overall it looked really nice and felt very comfortable. It was definately a fair bit larger and heavier than the Makita compact. I would say about a full inch longer and taller and a pound heavier. It actually seems to be closer in size and weight to the Makita BDF451 drill (regular LXT drill with no hammer function) rather than the compact white drill. Construction looked to be about the same build quality as the Makita compact being all plastic with no metal gearbox and the chuck is definately the exact same Jacobs 5000 with plastic sleeve.

Comment

Yes, I was almost tempted by the Makita compact drill because of the weight and size. But I don't believe the Makita battery on the compact tools fit their other LXT tools. Also, I'm not sure about the durability factor with the lighter Makita drill. The fact that you can you use the Ridgid 18v lithium with the MaxSelect tools is a major plus. It would be nice to see Ridgid expand their line of MaxSelect tools. Makita has a nice line-up of cordless tools. Maybe this Christmas will be seeing some new tools come out.

Comment

The Makita compact battery does not immediately fit the blue LXT tools but it can be easily modified. All that needs to be done is file off a small tab on the tool to let it slide in. Makita blocked it on the blue tools so they can then sell the exact same tool as a "compact" model with the small batteries such as they did with the impact driver. The large standard batteries will fit both kinds just fine though.

I wouldn't worry about durability with the compact drill. Makita makes good tools and both drills look very similar in construction. To be honest I find both of them have somewhat cheap plastic look.

Part of the Ridgid's extra weight appears to be in the battery. Its got a larger footprint and weighs a bit more. If it is in fact 2.9ah battery as stated earlier that would actually put it in the same class as the standard sized 3.0ah Makita battery rather than the compact battery.

If I had ridgid cordless tools I would have definately bought the new compact drill. No sense in having yet more battery types but I already had the LXT kit + extra tools so I went with the Makita compact.

Comment

They finally got them here. Not happy that there is no battery meter on it. Does have metal gears. Weight feels fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JWMustang View Post
            They finally got them here. Not happy that there is no battery meter on it. Does have metal gears. Weight feels fine.
            JWMustang-

Did you get it for $179.95 that the rest of these guys have gotten it for?

Comment

That is what its listed for here. I did not buy it yet. Since I dont need it I will wait for a sale, then I will get it & the impact one too.

Comment

I didn't want to start a new thread for just this one question, but I was using my Ridgid Compact 18V Li-ion drill last night, I was wondering is it normal for orange sparks to come flying out of the back of the drill when I let go of the trigger?

Comment

18v lithium..can we summarize the data?

I read all the posts and it would be nice, since Ridgid/Home Depot won't!!!!
                  if we can summarize the 18v lithium batter specs.. By the way I can't find anything on the lithium battery except on E-Bay...Hey Home Depot and Ridgid are you reading this?

18v Lithium battery:

1. smaller than the 18vHC and 18v 2.5AH battery
                  2. rated at 2.9AH
                  3. more expensive, except on E-Bay [duh]
                  4. is this battery ok to run on the older chargers? or does it require the
                  newer 24v charger?
                  5. No LED battery level indicator
                  6. Will this battery will fit all older [1 year old] 18v Ridgid tools and/or all dual
                  voltage tools

Did I miss anything?

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by willow1 View Post
                    I didn't want to start a new thread for just this one question, but I was using my Ridgid Compact 18V Li-ion drill last night, I was wondering is it normal for orange sparks to come flying out of the back of the drill when I let go of the trigger?

I have the 24 volt l-ion and it does the same thing. It is from the electronic brake. Yes it is normal. You may want to use goggles. I should also.
                    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Re: 18v lithium..can we summarize the data?

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                      if we can summarize the 18v lithium batter specs.. By the way I can't find anything on the lithium battery except on E-Bay...Hey Home Depot and Ridgid are you reading this?

18v Lithium battery:

1. smaller than the 18vHC and 18v 2.5AH battery
                      2. rated at 2.9AH
                      3. more expensive, except on E-Bay [duh]
                      newer 24v charger?
                      5. No LED battery level indicator
                      6. Will this battery will fit all older [1 year old] 18v Ridgid tools and/or all dual
                      voltage tools

Did I miss anything?

Cactus Man
                      Yup! It looks like Ridgid intends to continue treating us like mushrooms with regards to product info. Keep em in the dark and covered with s_ _ _. After buying the new 18V LI compact drill I went to the "literature" button on Ridgid's site for some info on the battery and charger. Nothing there. Called customer service and was told they havn't had time to get any of that stuff up yet. Maybe if they didn't pay their CEO millions of dollars they could hire sufficient workers to support their products. grrrrrrrr
                      Anyway Cactusman already hit some of my issues.
                      His #4-According to my user manual...pg 3....Use battery only with charger listed. I know what he's thinking. It sure looks like the old Nicad 18V charger. Kind of acts like old technology too. My 24V LI charger goes completely to sleep when no battery is in it. This 18V LI has the red light on and feels warm like some circuits are working.(Ridgid cust. srvc. told me that was normal.
                      His #6-Yes this battery fits the Maxselect tools. It's small size and lite weight turns the Maxselect impact tool into something sweet to work with.....so much nicer than the boat anchor 24V LI.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
                        I have the 24 volt l-ion and it does the same thing. It is from the electronic brake. Yes it is normal. You may want to use goggles. I should also.
                        Thanks! And cactusman you are right the 18V Li-Ion batteries are more expensive, I think that they are about $120.00 regular price, but I just bought one on eBay for $45.00.

Comment

Re: 18v lithium..can we summarize the data?

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

18v Lithium battery:

newer 24v charger?

voltage tools

Did I miss anything?

Cactus Man
                          4. Never charge a lithium battery in a NiCd battery charger! Things could go BOOM. Unfortunately, the 24V charger isn't dual voltage so you must charge the new 18V LiIon battery in the new 18V LiIon battery charger.

6. Yes. That is the main reason I will buy one.

Comment

Okay, so....after my ranting in the "General Power Tool Discussion - Ridgid Lifetime Warranty" thread, I do the unthinkable.........I go out and buy the Ridgid 18 Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Drill (R86006).

And yes, yet again, we have been left somewhat hanging by both Ridgid and the Home Depot about information on this much anticipated product. And it's already been a month since this item was released (in certain markets), and still there hasn't been clear and concise technical specs released about it. So, allow me to elaborate:

For today's experiment, I am comparing this new LI drill to my older Ni-Cad version (standard Ridgid 18V 1/2" cordless version, R840011) with the standard 1.8 Ah batteries that it comes with (at least I'm pretty sure they are only 1.8 Ah).

The Ni-Cad's specs:
                            • 2.350 KG (5.18 lbs), with battery attached
                            • 0.815 KG (1.797 lbs), battery alone (standard 18V 1.8Ah)
                            • 10.5" x 3" x 9 5/8"(LxWxH), with battery attached
                            • 5.5" x 3.25" x 2 3/8" (LxWxH), battery alone (standard 18V 1.8Ah)
                            • and then everyone knows the other basic numbers for this one (RPMs, etc.)
                            The new Lithium-Ion's specs:
                            • 1.890 KG (4.17 lbs), with battery attached
                            • 0.418 KG (0.92 lbs), battery alone (compact LI 18V 2.9Ah)
                            • 9 5/8" x 3" x 9 1/4" (LxWxH), with battery attached
                            • 5" x 3.25" x 1 3/4" (LxWxH), battery alone
                            • 1/2" chuck
                            • RPMs: 0 to 450, and 0 to 1600
                            • 455 in. lbs of torque
                            • 24 position clutch
                            • battery charge time: 30 minutes
                            And, for those with other questions:
                            1. No, you cannot charge these batteries on the older Ni-Cad Rapid Max chargers. After I had a chance to look, there are a few slight changes on the inside of this new LI charger, compared to the Ni-Cad chargers. Whatever it is inside that has been changed, it is so that you can charge this type of battery (LI - Lithium Ion) without damaging it, as it is very different from Ni-Cads. But, for whatever reason, you can actually use this newer LI Rapid Max charger to charge any current/older Ni-Cad batteries, of the various voltages (9.6, 12.0, 14.4, or 18-volts). BUT DO NOT CHARGE LI BATTERIES ON OLDER CHARGERS (as I have been told after repeated calls to tech to verfiy this). Hmmmm...could it have maybe been a smart idea to change the charger design just slightly, so that people do not confuse them?
                            2. Yes, you can use these batteries on all current 18-volt tools, and with the MaxSelect line of tools. Now, for the MaxSelect tools, this is an 18-volt battery, so this will only run those tools to those specs - even though it is a LI like the 24-volt XLI line, it will not run the MaxSelect tools at those ratings (ie. - lower/higher RPM ratings). Besides that, these LI batteries work awesome. Without the heavier weight, these batteries work just like the 18-volt Max 2.5Ah batteries.
                            3. Yes, I have confirmed it again, with the Ridgid rep for my region, and on the phone with Customer Service, and with Tech Support - these compact 18-volt Lithium-Ion batteries are rated at 2.9 Ah (amphere hours) - better run time than the Max 2.5 Ah series of batteries. And yes, the claims are true about no power fade - it is full power, until the battery is out of power.
                            4. The LED light feature is nice. It comes on as soon as you pull the trigger, and goes off once you let go. It maybe would have been nice to see it stay on for a few seconds after, but the trade-off is that it is quite brite, unlike those on other manufacturer's drills, and it is well aimed.
                            5. No, this drill is not so much a "compact" drill, as opposed to being a lighter model. There is not much size difference compared to the regular 18V model. The noticable thing is that the LI model actually has a higher 2nd speed (by 100 RPMs) compared to the regular model. the construction seems to be just as durable, with most of the length measurement savings coming from a shorter/smaller looking clutch portion, between the motor and the chuck. But it seems to be just as durable/well-built, and operates almost identically.
                            6. The one drawback about the design changes is the forward/reverse selector switch. It is the same as before, and in the same location, and an ease to use/engage. But, for whatever reason, it slightly rattles. It is looser in the housing, so if you are not running the drill, but are waving/moving it around in your hand, you can hear it rattling. A small complaint, but one nonetheless. I will probably open the drill up someday when it bothers me too much, and will find a way to better secure it (ie. - gum it up, or add in an elastic band in there somewhere, or something along those lines).
                            7. There are some noticable styling changes with this LI drill compared to the 18-volt drill and other 18-volt tools. This drill really seems to be the 18-volt companion to the MaxSelect lineup, as many features (including the revised rubber-overmolded grip) look like they match perfectly with the MaxSelect tools. A nice fit, I must add, as I have many of the other MaxSelect tools, and this blends in quite well, seeming like they are all one large set (I didn't feel like ponying up for the 24 XLi bohemoth - too big for my tastes).
                            Well, sorry for the overly long post again, but I hope that answers some questions. I'm telling you, Ridgid, I deserve that V.P.'s salary - I got done in 1 hour, what customers have been asking for for weeks and weeks.

Comment

canucksartech-

Wow, great review. Did you end up buying the drill in Canada, or did you have to go to the US for it? If you did buy it in Canada, what did it cost? I haven't seen one up here yet.

Comment

No, I didn't buy it in Canada, I picked it up over in the U.S. (beautiful Michigan, to be exact). I found out a bit ago that this item will not be offered for sale here in Canada until after Labour Day weekend at the earliest, and Christmas at the latest. I wasn't content to wait that long, especially when I knew it was only a 1 hour drive for a new toy (plus, I gassed up with cheaper gas on the same trip - perfect!).

And it's price tag is $179.00 USD like others are reporting. The retail price for it here in Canada is reportedly going to be $249.00 CAD once it comes out. I actually got it for 10% off of the $179.00, due to dealing with a hardware manager that I know at this one HD in Michigan. Plus, the Ridgid rep had just been in, and the hardware manager got me a further 10% off mail-in rebate, for the "June/July 2007 Ridgid Event", which can only be obtained from buying from a U.S. store and getting the coupon from a Ridgid representative, and with their signature on it.

Overall, happy with the transaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X